N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Guest lightheart

So Bipto have you seen trees that have been brought down to hook into the forks of other trees. I am talking about large trees the two foot kind.

From reported observations there is some leaping from one tree to another. Does this mean that no brachiation has been observed?

So Bipto have you seen trees that have been brought down to hook into the forks of other trees. I am talking about large trees the two foot kind.

Yes, the second tree I heard get dropped (and the first I saw) got hung up in a neighboring tree. 

Does this mean that no brachiation has been observed?

To the best of my recollection, we haven't seen anything like swinging. Just leaping. 

The underlying implication of all the comments pointing out how difficult/impossible/adaptively pointless this event was? We know those are all just longhand for: "It didn't happen."

This response of course removes the obligation of the commentor to examine it for what it really might be, and removes the heay-lifting requirement of coming to a plausible explanation if it is assumed this was not a wood ape.  They do this under the guise of being all "scientific", when just the opposite is at work here from their side of the discussion.

But the points made are pretty much clay pigeons too. Why would a primate climb a tree, if not for food or safety? Well, how about to just see further? Not so hard to figure out.

So, if this was not what the NAWAC believes it to be? What did happen? I'm all ears. A bear that likes to throw rocks?    

So you have actually seen Bigfoots riding down trees?

I saw the tree come down, I saw something large fall separately through the foliage and land heavily on the ground, I saw something grayish move rapidly away all from a distance of about 50 yards up a slope. 

I should also say, before I saw all that, I saw the top of the tree swaying back and forth vigorously. 

You don't have a lever arm of 45 feet at the time of break, the lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the applied force (wood ape gravity) and the tree break.  Maybe you get 10 feet if the ape is swinging enough up there.  I'm not seeing the physics here...

Just to clarify where I am at.  I'm not a skeptic, at the core of it BF to me are just ordinary things wandering around.  I just can't see the physics of them taking down a tree that size.   I also feel that you are being perfectly truthful, so the tree did go down.   So I see it as quite a mystery, what took it down then?

Have fun and keep the ticks off.

Just to clarify where I am at.  I'm not a skeptic, at the core of it BF to me are just ordinary things wandering around.  I just can't see the physics of them taking down a tree that size.   I also feel that you are being perfectly truthful, so the tree did go down.   So I see it as quite a mystery, what took it down then?

I think it might not be as simple as a linear calculation of force, because you are not describing this particular tree, just a generic and uniform description of a pole. Wood is not that easily described, and a living trees are even harder to predict. I seem to recall too this tree looked like it had previously been struck by lightning, am I correct? That especially makes it vulnerable to behaving strangely when force is applied.  

As someone who hand splits about 3-4 cords of oak/hickory wood every year, I can tell you that wood fractures in surprising ways and places (granted, that is with the grain, not across it, but you get my point) With enough experience, you can read where you need to hit it, but a standing tree? Who knows what faults/knots/reaction wood/anomalies lurk within. I've also felled my share of timber, and for this reason it is always a sweaty thing to predict. How a tree "should" fall is something every feller knows to be subject to rapid change, and you better have a clear escape plan if it "barber chairs" on you, twists, or just plain falls the wrong way. For this tree, all you can say is it did break, so it was uncontrovertibly susceptible to this force breaking it. More than that, I don't think it matters.

You don't have a lever arm of 45 feet at the time of break, the lever arm is the perpendicular distance from the applied force (wood ape gravity) and the tree break.  Maybe you get 10 feet if the ape is swinging enough up there.  I'm not seeing the physics here...

At some point once the tree begins to lean, gravity and the weight of the tree plus the weight of the passenger increases the moment until the top of the tree reaches horizontal and where it reaches maximum torque at or near the base.

Well, this is just it.

I ignore any assertion that it couldn't have happened unless I can be shown evidence that something else did.

Too many such assertions - I'm not necessarily, now, talking about the physics of this - ignore what scientists have repeatedly observed in the animals we know about.  Too many "explanations" are downright goofy by comparison to the simple assertion being made by a witness.

I stop right at the question:  what caused it?  And start assessing evidence.

Figure it took them four years to pass the motion?

Possibly, as I've been hunting the Ahern property (and others) just north of your location (north face of the mountain, off the K trail) and the ESI land(corporate holding) SSE of you for several years and observed no sign of UHS activity, they must have decided to stick around, and fight, y'all. 

When you see Mr. Branson, tell him "hillbilly" said to not run any "Apes" over onto his place and have them messing with his deer, he'll know who you're referring to as they used to work together.

We have an engineer in the group:

After running a quick calcuation, based on a 20" diameter tree (red oak species of a mid-grade), with a 1500 lb lateral load at 45 feet high, the tree would most likely begin to yield. With more force and/or constant swaying action, I believe it's very possible to brake the tree at it's base. If the lateral load was higher, it would not take even 1500 lb of force; conversely, if the lateral load was lower, it would take more force.