N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

I would accept a wind explanation long before I would accept someone saying that they saw a 700 pound ape man leap from the falling branches of a hardwood tree after single handedly pulling down a healthy 24" diameter hardwood tree, and snapping it on the trunk.  Bipto himself wouldn't expect me to believe him without any evidence supporting such a story.

Well, how very adroit of you. You choose a known phenomenon that has absolutely no parallels to the actual event as described, you ignore other described observations in the process (which, of course, won't fit your hypothesis) and you hide behind a manufactured invitation of disbelief to wrap it all up. Nice.

There is quite a bit of difference between taking cover behind Bipto's frequent reminders to not take what he describes to be PROOF, and using that as a method of ignoring evidence. And I doubt he means to invite you to call him a liar, if that is where we are heading.

I'm not asking you to believe anything either, so stop with that for once. I'm asking you, as a thinking person, to craft a scenario that fits all of the event as described. If you can't, just be man enough to say so, would you please?

• Upvote 2

You think that these goofy awkward feet are from a creature that spends a lot of time in the trees?

I said a big flexible foot would make climbing a tree easier. Don't see why it wouldn't. If you could wrap it around the truck, branches, etc. Absolutely.

14 and 15 were me. Sorry.

Interesting article linked in this thread which is pertinent to the debate at hand... http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/47721-on-pygmies-trees-and-feet/

FWIW, I posted this on another topic quite a while ago but maybe this will add to the confusion.....heh heh heh.

We were standing on a favorite spot which was on a very old arched bridge over a creek which is only about a half mile (as the crow flies) from where we leave gifts for them and we also heard a tree go down.  The sound was, the best I can describe, was like "craaaaaack, a big swooosh of leaves and branches breaking, and then a big thud!!!!!   Hubby and I looked at each other and I made a wisecrack about "that's a really big raccoon!" after which we laughed and then he said it's time to go.  We went and never even tried to find the tree, it was so thick, it would have been impossible for us puny hairless ones to get through that mess. 

We surmised it was only about 100 feet from where we were standing on that bridge.

Also noticed that day, it was 2:30pm or so and not a bird or a bug was around and not a breath of wind either.  The Spring that year was a wet one and so there was a jungle of green over in that area.

Chris Noel has a video on youtube of a friend who has video of a small group in the cottonwood trees in Kansas.  They move quite well through them and on them.

Guest zenmonkey

We've seen them in trees. As I said, we previously thought it was only smaller, younger ones as the thing I saw jump from one tree to another couldn't have weighed more than 100 pounds or so and that's typically what we've seen, but we have multiple accounts now from our operations in X of apes in trees. We're not speculating, we've caught them in the act. The major change this year is it appears as though larger animals might also be up in trees and literally leveraging their mass to bring them down. 

Exactly. 

Ahh gotcha. I didn't put much stock into that idea before just one more puzzle piece in this crazy mix, Could possibly explain what I've said before about hearing tree breaks very close to me but see nothing. Typically its night time very thick and very dark Ive got a great light but its hard to spot objects in the trees. Keep us posted on the trees!

I don't require anyone to accept at face value what I'm saying we've observed and experienced. They just shouldn't expect me to expend much energy trying to rebut their disbelief. Life is too short. I would do well to remember that myself.

I totally understand how incredible X is and our experiences there and how uncomfortable what we're experiencing must be to people of a certain mental perspective. 

I take too much crap with me to fly.

lol I hear ya, I never meant to sound facetious I had honestly not thought about them being in trees much, You have the patience of a saint are a very credible man and I believe very trust worthy just sharing your experiences. I believe everything that you say, You have lead none of us to think otherwise I just wanna see it as well very jealous ;)

C'mon dmaker...don't play that. What was it then, that did this, in the context of everything else Bipto described? Your theories are welcome, because I'm not getting any alternatives that really fit this series of events.

As a logger, all I need is a picture and I might be able to give some answers. Don't hold your breath though.

Tree breaks of any kind are so hard to diagnose. Trees break all the time of their own accord in ways that sometimes look apish. Superficially, that looks like the two trees that have been brought down in my presence (high break) but the two I documented were both diseased. Another difference is we're mostly dealing with hardwoods in X and that's a pine (for what that's worth). I would say it's consistent with what we've experienced and investigated. Could be ape-related.

Thanks bipto!

And for what it's worth that is a alpine fir at about 5000 ft in elevation

Personally, I believe it was going after something in the tree.

Bipto himself wouldn't expect me to believe him without any evidence supporting such a story.

Just to be clear here, and FWIW, I somewhat doubt Bipto really expects you to believe him. I don't think he's concerned about that. Just a theory of mine, mind you :)

Never heard/saw a brown bear climb a tree as high as the one described, so that is a non-starter. Oh, and they don't exist in...

Two points, if I may respectfully make them:

1). Re: the quote--you've never seen or heard of a bear climbing that high, so it's a non-starter? How is that different than someone saying 'I've never heard of a BF climbing that high? (Have you previously heard of BF climbing that high, btw?)

2). Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't the 2' diameter tree and the visual of the grey something running away two different events?

Two points, if I may respectfully make them:

1). Re: the quote--you've never seen or heard of a bear climbing that high, so it's a non-starter? How is that different than someone saying 'I've never heard of a BF climbing that high? (Have you previously heard of BF climbing that high, btw?)

2). Perhaps I'm mistaken, but wasn't the 2' diameter tree and the visual of the grey something running away two different events?

1) Yes that's the exacct same thing. A non starter. He began with it though.

2) I don't know I wasn't there

But apparently they jump from tree to tree and might be grey. 

Shoot upward and shoot randomly.

OK, so just being clear again here: 

No alternative explanation leaves me with no choice but to accept the possibility, because, class, the following:

1) Anybody see any of these trees?  No?  Gotcha.

2) Anybody advance any possibility that takes everything described into account?  No?  Gotcha.

3) Any reason an ape, hello, AN APE, can't get into a tree?  None, whatsoever?  Gotcha.

Just needed to show how a scientist in possession of his faculties assesses things.  Anyone that gives you anything other than what I just put up there isn't wearing his scientist hat; tell him to put it on and don't come back until.

Is there no way it was a bear?  I can't say that.  Bears live there.  They climb trees; and they can get onto branches you don't think they will and I have proof.  Don't know the percentage if any of cinnamon bears in that area.  The gray one bipto saw, however, is either a glacier bear, a color phase of the black bear that let's just say you won't find within a thousand miles of X...or one of the more unusually colored black bears ever that wasn't a glacier bear.

I also need to add that bipto has a pile of "him over you" markers that anyone with his scientist hat on would recognize that, compared to others here, is...well, I can confidently assert that no sasquatch born can topple that pile.

Let me just clear up something here and now....what I'm saying is: "I don't know what caused the event Bipto described, and I have no selection from my catalogue of plausible known/confirmed phenomena that fit this description." Neither do any of y'all, so just quit with the smoke job. You who say otherwise really, really, just need to man- up and say this instead. You need not go any further, if you choose, and I could not fault you one bit. If you can't say that, you need to pony up with something plausible, not this nonsense.  So....who goes first?