N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

Can we do something with the stalker avatar? Its starting to scare me.

Thanks for saying something will, it was creeping me out as well...

Ya forgot the second BF at the base, pushing in coordination with the second one. Seems like an honest mistake to me though.

Well, I was gonna put another Bigfoot driving the Ford F350 with 100' of cable attached to the tree, but I thought you would all think I was making up stories.

• Upvote 2

Love it. So would Peter Benchley.

And Steven Spielberg I would hope. That image was first used on the JAWS movie, not the novel. The novels original cover art was kind of crappy. Looked more like an earthworm than a GWS. Though to be fair, this image is more striking and colorful, but is not at all accurate. The teeth are nothing close to what white shark teeth look like. At any rate, it's my favorite movie :)

I am not saying I know what broke that tree. I'm saying I don't know. So far, that is the most any of us here can say. The reporter of the event  has some credibility with me, and my working assumption is it happened as it was related. The fallibility of sense impression can never be discounted, but the nature of the event seems to make that a small possibility.

I think the inability to just say, "I don't know.....but I'm continuing to be open to possible answers" causes more dissent and lack of understanding than just about anything around here.  Saying you "know" a BF did not do it, when you are equally unable to say with any reasonable certainty what did do it, is not an approach that is ever likely to produce answers and is the exact antithesis of considered inquiry, IMHO, and as ill-advised as saying you "know" an unlisted, unconfirmed species did it. Different sides of the same coin.  The coin has three sides though, and always has.

Over and over we fall into the trap of the false binary analysis here. Bipto is a guy, and his organization mirrors this as far as I can tell, who understands that just holding out the question until you have proof-positive, is the smart choice.  Individual experiences count, but they are not going to hold out the answers for the vast majority of us. This is the way science should be done. 

His experiences, and all the other experiences we read about, just pose a single question that must be addressed: What is it? For ever instance, like this one here, when you fail to rise to that challenge, you are not moving the ball, and in fact, you are working the opposite.   

So we have lots of theories about how this could not be this and that. I don't think it could be a meteorite strike either, so let's throw that on the pile. So what?

Edited by WSA
  • Upvote 1

Fine.  It was neither bigfoot nor a meteorite. We are agreed?

I suspect not because I think despite all your rhetoric you very, very much want bigfoot to be on the top of the possibility list.

You are not moving the ball either when you make outrageous claims like an ape broke a 2 foot diameter healthy tree at the base by playing see-saw on it. 

Edited by dmaker

Fine.  It was neither bigfoot nor a meteorite. We are agreed?

That would not be reasonable to assert.   How many different times and ways do you have to be told that not knowing what it was is not the same as knowing what it was not?   Why is that so incomprehensible?

MIB

Edited by MIB

Why is it not reasonable to assert that it could not have been bigfoot? Do you think bigfoot is a reasonable assertion in this case? 

Why is that so incomprehensible?  Is it because some are loathe to admit that the tree break, as related, could not possibly have been caused by an ape? I assume some are loathe to admit this because they feel it might call into question the observation skills of the NAWAC team?

Edited by dmaker

Because a profession of ignorance is always the first step towards more certain knowledge? And because you couldn't know anymore than I could, either way.  Rushing to put your marker down, pro or con, is not someting I've ever found to be useful in a long game, but even if you say that, you still are stuck on the same question, and are not any closer to answering it.

dmaker,

Why aren't you out in the woods looking for answers????  You think all the answers are here and you are wrong.  We're just observers and you think by hammering at us that we can tell you???  Wrong again...........

Trees going down is only one of many unexplained happenings and I have a whole list of stuff but I'd never discuss them here because then you and other disbelievers would have a hayday beating me up.  I'm already bruised and battered so it gets old and I get tired of the same old questions.  Funny thing though, it never stops me from heading back out to the woods and having interactions with the hairy people.

Go, sit in the woods for hours and hours.  Try not to act like a hunter, be yourself and just enjoy nature?????

Peace

• Upvote 1

If you've ever considered the discussion of the so-called  tree manipulations that are found in many places on this continent, you'll see what I mean.  Here is something that is widely reported, verifiable, and completely baffling. At least, I've not read any theories that comport with the world as we know it. This subject happens to be posted here on this forum because many believe that is part of the answer, but don't get hung up on that, or the fact Bipto's account appears here either. Put it in a complete informational/contextual vacuum. Then, ask yourself if you have an answer to it? If you don't, why don't you give that more thought?

Well, I was gonna put another Bigfoot driving the Ford F350 with 100' of cable attached to the tree, but I thought you would all think I was making up stories.

-with 3 or 4 in the back to weigh it down?

Ruling out everything but one possibility is certainly a way to arrive at the answer, but proposing a theory of what did cause it, and testing it (if just in a theoretical way) seems a surer path. We get a lot of effort expended on how BF could not possibly do this, that or the other. All well and good, and lots of fun to be had in the process, but what about something that could be responsible? Not as easy, and not nearly as much fun, but much more valuable.

So, I'm wanting to see the photo of the toppled tree, if it exists. I've defended a number of cases over the decades involving tree failures(Oy, the stories I could tell you) and I've deposed, cross-examined and proffered testimony from sylvaculturists, tree surgeons and loggers. Most often, the only evidence you have to work with is a photo, if you are lucky enough to get those.  Good photos though can tell you lots. We'll see if those are available and see what they can show, and I know Bipto will be available to answer questions when he returns to the board.  

-with 3 or 4 in the back to weigh it down?

That is one of the stories I could tell you Drew. Guy pulls over a 50' tree with a 25' cable. Doh! (That left a mark)

Edited by salubrious

Sunflower, I spend plenty of time in the woods. I have never seen or heard anything that I would attribute to " the hairy people".  Everything that I have seen can easily be attributed to common causes. 

If you've ever considered the discussion of the so-called  tree manipulations that are found in many places on this continent, you'll see what I mean.  Here is something that is widely reported, verifiable, and completely baffling. At least, I've not read any theories that comport with the world as we know it. This subject happens to be posted here on this forum because many believe that is part of the answer, but don't get hung up on that, or the fact Bipto's account appears here either. Put it in a complete informational/contextual vacuum. Then, ask yourself if you have an answer to it? If you don't, why don't you give that more thought?

Not baffling at all. Trees break for various reasons.  Weather, disease, pests , etc. These are all things that can cause trees to weaken and break. I don't see what is so baffling about this that one must reach for bigfoot as a possible explanation.