First Reaction

Guest sambx

I wonder if most evidence gatherers, i.e., wildlife photographers feel their job is safe, and would feel safe getting close to an animal that might be 1000 lbs and 8 - 10 feet tall. I wonder if their perspective would change if they had a "point and shoot" 3 megapixel camera phone to take convincing photographs. I wonder what most of the photographers of large predators (and what's been described as an "apex predator in this case) consider "a more rational, just-another-animal-in-the-wild sentiment"?

I think the idea that bigfoot isn't capable of tearing you limb from limb is naive. What large, or very large, primates should you feel comfortable taking a photo of with a camera phone (I'm using a camera phone as an example as most people carry them). Really. Are there a number of examples of animals in the wild, and specifically large primates, that a person should feel comfortable photographing with a camera phone? What about captive animals that see humans all the time? Why don't they allow people in gorilla enclosures at the zoo, or let them roam around the zoo without barriers? What large animals would be safe to do this with? Without jumping on the back of any of these animals, should you feel safe wandering the zoo with them, or in the wild with only a camera phone?

No one is suggesting running after one and jumping on its back. Simply stop with this "Big scary monster will kill me, MOMMY!" attitude that many here seem to have. Doing away with that and adopting a more rational, just-another-animal-in-the-wild sentiment might lead to more convincing evidence of this thing's existence.

Yeti1974,

Are you saying you have/do not get frightend at things for no rational reason?

S

No one is suggesting running after one and jumping on its back. Simply stop with this "Big scary monster will kill me, MOMMY!" attitude that many here seem to have. Doing away with that and adopting a more rational, just-another-animal-in-the-wild sentiment might lead to more convincing evidence of this thing's existence.

Okay, you go first.. I'll be right behind you! Back here... :)

Guest Yeti1974

I'm not saying it's "irrational" to have some sort of healthy fear of a large, rare, bipedal ape. But look at some of the replies anytime this subject is brought up. People describe movements of bodily fluids and solids. All I'm saying is that continuing to foster that sort of perception of Bigfoot is not conducive to "discovering" it.

Edited by Yeti1974

Let me add...If you hit and killed this species... Your biggest concern would be surviving your exit out of the forest....

Oh, I know.

I have been at this for quite a number of years & that thought has crossed my mind many times when thinking about bringing one of these creatures down. I am not as active a pro-kill researcher as I once was, but I have my plans set of what to do if the situation arises.

And if I down one & die on my way out of the woods, at least you can say you told me so. :D:P

Edited by Sean V

• 1 year later...
Guest Cowlitz2

Offer the BF my fishing pole to use on the river I was at, or perhaps even my catch of the day as a snack. However he/she is no doubt a better fisherman than I....

My legs felt like rubber, they were trembling up a storm when i encounterd it. Was not sure how to react cause it just stood there straight . What can you do, you see it it there and it is not aggressive pretending to be part of the woods. It was right in the open between the pines but pretended to be a pine. About twenty yards or so from the fence I had it spotted with my light. Never even knew about another one that I later found out about. Tracks were found, dogs were alerting us of intruders the night before. My heart still pumps fast when around them . Now proof does not mean much to me.

Guest VioletX

I have been startled by large dogs, some of them aggressive and have reacted by going very quiet and then reacting again, depending on what I could assess about the dog. That said, I doubt I would be brave enough to hang around even a happy Mama and baby Bigfoot, I do not think I would run, probably back out carefully :o .

I would beat on my chest and scream at it, then I would shadow it as it left MY area of the woods. Bigfoots often try to take a picture of me.

Edited by Ky Woodsman

I would beat on my chest and scream at it, then I would shadow it as it left MY area of the woods. Bigfoots often try to take a picture of me.

So dos XX would be your perfered beer, which would make you the most intresting guy.LoL :D

Guest Peter O.

If I didn't want into run into one, I would just walk down the trail saying "Hey Bigfoot!" every once in a while. That way, approaching hikers wouldn't think there was a bear in the area ;) Few believe in Bigfoot...

I'd expect the first few seconds to go about how it goes when a bear darts out from a bush 20 feet from me--complete freeze and visual attention. Then another "Hey, Bigfoot!" but with different intonation ;) If I had the presence of mind, I'd open my palm and back away to show I wasn't a threat.

I wouldn't *expect* to get eaten, but if I were, I certainly wouldn't tell anybody about it. If BF is as intelligent as many of us think, I would expect it to have some understanding of what we are, and perhaps (don't laugh now) some understanding of morality. It's on the Human continuum after all. Ain't Kantian ethics great?

Edited by Peter O.

So dos XX would be your perfered beer, which would make you the most intresting guy.LoL :D

I don't always drink beer, but when I do...

It would be absolute and total shock. My heart would race and my eyes would bulge out of my skull. I had a few close calls during vacation this year, where I thought I saw something Bigfoot-ish in the trees by the side of the road, but it never turned out that way or remained unconfirmed.

Each time my eyes got wide, my memory got recording and my heart nearly beat out of my chest. Some intense experiences, let me tell you, but nothing solid, I'm afraid.

I still hope I'll get a glimpse some day.