2015 The State Of Sasquatch Science

Lake County Bigfooot

This is interesting, it really does not look like Sasquatch, my first thought was Cross Country Skiers, but when you examine it closer it gets

pretty interesting, while I am not going to weigh in on it's authenticity, I can say it is hard to explain as human.

BFF Patron

You can see gloves and a hoodie or high pack on the last human it seems.  at about 6:50

SWWASP I know that NAWAC has thought this through including your concerns,(would beg to differ as the published account(s) of their own shooting incidents are, on their face, illustrative of what a total FUBAR looks like) my biggest concern with harvesting a specimen is how do you retrieve an

animal of that size, I think I have heard someone say you might need to sever a few portions, well that is another way to guarantee some part of it reaches 

the scientific world. It might not be feasible to carry a 1200 pound creature out of the woods intact. Perhaps you could trailer it after winching it up. How are

you gonna pull all this off if the rest of them decide your toast and charge you, can you shoot that fast, and stop them before they take you out? I think three

angry Sasquatch could do a whole lot of damage to a group of armed individuals, I just do not think you can react quick enough, but guns might hold them at 

bay, hard to tell. At Hoonobia they took the body before it could be retrieved, (still, far more questions than answers surrounding that "incident") there is a reason why one of these guys has not made it out of the woods although

killed. If Justin Smeja was telling the truth, I believe other individuals removed the body of the juvenile, perhaps the parent survived. Many reports of them being

shot exist, but few have fallen the creature in it's tracks, (the 2002 Louisana Hunt is a prime example of how PPP=PPR) I heard of one other case in Canada, do not know whether that was trustworthy, people tend to shoot

at them more out of a gut reaction, but that gut reaction also leads them to want to leave or cover up what they have done, as a whole they feel guilty and think

the creature appears too human (Bingo!, we have a winner!) to want to present what they have done to others.

Edited by Yuchi1
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Good points all Yuchi.   I want no part of turning a live body into a dead one.    Either in a lab or out in the woods with a gun.   There are just too many unknowns to risk your life and freedom for the dubious glory of proving existence.    Ten years after someone does no one will remember their name.  The government will get involved big time if it is not already, and the result of that cannot be good for BF.   The only thing the US Government seems to manage well is the Congressional Pension funds.    Everything else they manage to mess up even though they spend fortunes doing it.  

• Upvote 1

My own personal belief is that I could not shoot such a creature, nor do I wish one to be shot just to prove their reality, but that being said 

science will need a specimen, that is just the way it is, for proper taxonomy and classification you must study the anatomy specifically and 

that is not possible while alive, maybe we could luck out and one will somehow be recovered soon after its death, natural or unnatural.

The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen, Yeti, Bigfoot and Other Mysterious Creatures into Modern Times   Hardcover â€“ 9 Apr 2015

The title of the book keeps changing, the portion in red was recently added, I think the description below is the original but something must be going on behind the scenes as I have suggested based on statements by Rhettman Mullis and Adam Davies.

Professor Bryan Sykes, the world's leading expert on human genetics, set a goal to locate and analyse as many DNA samples as possible with links to the yeti. In doing so, he found himself entering a strange world of mystery and sensationalism, fraud and obsession and even the supernatural. Protected by the ruthless vigour of genetic analysis he was able to listen to the stories of the yeti without having to form an opinion. The only opinion that mattered was the DNA. Three hair samples from the miogi, the Bhutanese yeti are the cause of the investigation. The hairs did not surrender their secrets easily, but eventually two were identified as known species of bear. The third remained a mystery.One of the many theories to account for the yeti legend is that there were small groups of Neanderthals that had managed to survive until recent times. If so, would it be possible to detect recent interbreeding between our own species and Neanderthals in the genomes of indigenous people living in remote regions? Professor Sykes has made some surprising and significant discoveries. Discoveries that could change our understanding of human origins.

Please Doc, come to the rescue...remember what I said about his experience in 2013 while in the states, lets see if any of that has influenced the outcome of this

book.  Of course as a scientist he is likely to forgo his experiences and simply present what has been obtained scientifically, that would be prudent till we get some

serious DNA evidence, hope this is not sounding too much like a certain blog out there.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I'm not too sure about the title containing the word "bigfoot" would help or hinder him?????  It might end up in the "Fiction" section of the bookstore... :wild:

But at the same time, those of us who know the truth might enjoy the book.  Sykes is not a lightweight and probably as hard boiled as a person can get, still has the credibility and might even change some minds.  It sometimes bothers me that the "knowers" must contend with the part of the public who thinks this is a cartoon character so Sykes might win them over as well.  Patiently waiting as usual.

^^^^See previous post^^^^^ The three changes in the title just seem odd to me, and I wonder what that reflects first we had

1. Yeti Enigma

2. The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen into Modern Times

3. The Nature of the Beast: The First Genetic Evidence on the Survival of Apemen, Yeti, Bigfoot and Other Mysterious Creatures into Modern Times   Hardcover â€“ 9 Apr 2015

This video clip explains our predicament well, and my hope when starting this thread was that we could delve into research

and examine it's authenticity. Discuss what would allow science to accept our information, and that we could actually move

beyond whether the creature exists, to what and how it exists in the present day. After my two years of examining the subject

I have reached some small understandings, and some mysteries are that much more beyond reach. I have circumnavigated the

whole supernatural aspect proposed by some, and concluded that such a creature is no more supernatural than you or I, whatever

it's natural abilities allow it. I am fundamentally depressed however how little thought is given by proponents and opponents to 

the subject. Part three with just the link is pertinent to this discussion, part two is simply interesting and worth the time.

Part Two...Bindernagel Presentation

Part Three

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhY2yOqfIRo#t=41

Part One if you were interested, I watched them out of order, but I guess the case builds to the 3rd episode where Bindernagel

explains what the road block to advancement to science is, and that he explains is the hoaxing and unreliable individuals who

have plagued this endeavor, funny thing is the video was released under "Sylvanic Bigfoot" right during the peak of Todds high jacking

of the better Scientific minds in the field, another ironic but sad point of the videos....

BFF Patron

I had a revelation last light watching a Discovery Chanel show about a new find in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.      Let me throw out some heresy.    Has the P/G film all led us astray?   Has it led us all down the wrong path?   Has it done more harm than good for BF research?   What has it done to further BF research?    People claim that if we only have HD video, science would sit up and notice.    When the P/G film was taken 16 MM was about the best you could have in the field that was portable.    Did science sit up and notice?   No, just a few academics said it appeared genuine and the debate has continued since.     Since then people (like myself admittedly) have been roaming the woods with the best portable video cameras available at the moment trying to get a better video.   Has anything ground breaking happened?   No.     BF remains as elusive as ever.    You can spend a lifetime in the woods and never see the elusive creatures.   The P/G film was pure chance, pure luck.   Thousands of game cameras are deployed hoping to get a clear picture of he same elusive creature that even seems to know what they are for.   The results are the same, blurry inconclusive pictures.       If that clear video or game camera picture is taken will the debate be over?   Will science sit up and notice?    No.     Elaborate costume, hoax, clever CGI will all be explanations we hear and the picture or video will be interesting but not proof of anything.  

Recently another path has started in earnest.   Groups of pro kill hunters are searching our forests.      If P/G can run into a BF at that close range, then skilled hunters should be able to do the same thing and get the shot of the century.   Body on the lab table, slam dunk, proof positive, the debate is over.   P/G did it.   They should be able to do it too.     But the things are very elusive, natural camo, smart, skilled hunters in their own right.    Their night vision tremendously better than ours, they can probably smell us before we could see them.     They move through the woods like a knife through soft butter,  3 or 4 times or more the speed we can move in the same situation.    And we think we can catch them?  Flank them?  They know the woods like we know our living rooms.    Every nook and cranny.   Every hidden game trail.     If someone gets a shot it will be pure chance not skill.   It better be good because they will come after you.   Then you got to get the body out to the right place.  

Now to my revelation.    Bodies and bones do not hide, run away, not want to be found,   are not smart,  do not move away, cannot smell you coming,   they are where they lay from the moment the species says goodbye to their own.     Even if they eat their dead, the bones are left.   We have to figure out what they do with their dead,   and find the bones.     That has to be 1000 times easier than chasing a live creature that does not want be found.    With bones there will be no debate, the species will be proven.    It is not likely the bones will be guarded, unless they bury in their settlements.     That to me seem much more doable and definitive that an the video of an elusive creature that does not want to be found.    From now on I am looking for dead ones not live ones.    It is almost a relief.     Chasing the live ones around is exhausting.    

Looking at that task.    They do not have back hoes or shovels so dirt burial of adults is unlikely.      Rock piles on the dead to protect from preditors seems a likely possibility.    Lava tube or ice caves burial is possible.    Early humans stashed their dead in such places.    Limestone caverns could serve the same purpose in other areas.   Water burial is unlikely because it would contaminate the water and they seem to be smarter than that.      Cremation is not impossible but would require fire use that has not been observed.     No matter what they do, bones are left that have some lifespan.     Sure forest soils are acidic but perhaps BF know that too, and know of less acidic places to stash bodies where bodies last longer.    

So as of now, I am looking for dead ones.    Not live ones.       

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT
  • Upvote 1

Natural decay and the forest animals would completely render skeletal remains indistinguishable in short order, the time table might 

be weeks or months at most, and considering the rarity of the creature, the likelihood of it seeking to die in isolation as many larger

creatures seem to do, well that almost makes the skeletal remains more difficult to obtain than the video, but if found in open areas

away from the acidic qualities of the forest floor, the possibility exists. The worst condition to for bones to last is exposed directly to

air, the article below discusses what happens after burial, but it touches on some of what I have said and gives some ideas where you

might be so lucky.

TAPHONOMY: WHAT HAPPENS TO BONES AFTER BURIAL?

Last week I discussed a way of preserving bodies almost indefinitely in some cases: embalming. On the other side of this is decay, the process of bodily decline and biological breakdown of the flesh. If you’ve ever watched any of the forensics crime shows, you know that understanding decay and changes in the body can be a key factor in determining when the individual died and how the body was treated after death. But its also important for archaeologists dealing with remains that are ancient.

First, let’s look at the early stages of decay. I won’t go into the gooey details, but following death the flesh of the body goes through five stages. The first stage consists of the ‘mortis‘ phases. The blood isn’t being pumped through the body so due to gravity it pools in certain areas, and this is known as livor mortis. Shortly after this, the muscular tissue becomes rigid and incapable of relaxing, a state called rigor mortis. Next the body loses heat and cools in a process called algor mortis. Second, the body goes through bloat, in which means that microbes are rapidly growing and forming gases within the body. This is also usually when bugs and insects begin to feed and reproduce on the remains. In the third stage there is rapid loss of mass due to insect feeding and natural purging of fluids due to decomposition. Advanced decay is the fourth stage, and there is little left of the body at this point. Finally, the last stage is skeletonization when no flesh remains. But this isn’t the end- bones are also subject to continued decay, the study of which is known as taphonomy and is extremely important for archaeologists.

800px-decomposition_stages.jpg?w=470

Stages of Decomposition Using a Pig, via Wikimedia

Taphonomy is the study of what happens to remains after the death of the living creature. Usually, the focus of these studies for archaeologists is to determine why there is a bias in the archaeological record (i.e. why certain bones preserve in certain conditions and others do not). Human remains do not always appear as clean bones in the ground. Sometimes they are badly degraded, not all bones may have survived through time, and in certain conditions the skeleton is no longer present. Taphonomic studies try to determine why certain bones are present, and others are not. Here are two examples. The left hand side is an Anglo-Saxon burial where the bones are fairly well preserved. Obviously we are missing some ribs and the ends of the long bones did not preserve well, however it is intact enough that we can gain insight into who this person was based on the remains. The right hand side shows the complete opposite where no bones at all were preserved in the burial. This means we cannot learn anything about the person biologically, and must rely on the grave goods alone. Both are from the same country and same time period- so why such a difference in preservation? This is what taphonomic studies hope to answer.

grave184-e1365162222659.jpg?w=224&h=432

Grave of Anglo-Saxon, no remains left due to acidic soil, via CSI Anglo-Saxon

article-0-122ebaa3000005dc-670_634x423-e

Anglo-Saxon Burial, bones somewhat intact, via Daily Mail

There can be extrinsic (external) factors, or intrinsic (internal) factors that effect preservation. Soil characteristics have a major effect on whether bone is preserved. As soil temperature and acidity increases in the soil, it is less likely that the bone will be preserved. Types of soil also affect whether bone is preserved: sand can preserve bone very well, whereas salt and chalk are destructive to bone (for more on these external factors see this article by Baxter). Other factors include water, which in an anaerobic environment causes preservation and aerobic causes destruction. Internal factors like the porosity of the bone can also affect preservation. The bones of the very old or very young are often more porous due to osteoporosis or lack of development, respectively. In cemeteries we rarely find infant remains, which could be due to the fact that they don’t preserve well or that they are buried elsewhere (see this post on an infant burial site for more information on this occurrence).

Cultural practices can also affect how well bone is preserved. For example, if the body is buried in a bog it may be perfectly preserved, whereas if it is buried in acidic soils it could be completely destroyed. Burial disturbances such as exhumation, additional interments, and other intrusive actions can lead to bone being more susceptible to decay. A study done by Lieverse et al. (2006) found that “primary burials exhibited higher completeness and increased articulation compared to secondary burialsâ€, and those that were primary burials were better preserved. Factors such as burial location, depth of burial and container also were important in determining how well the bones preserved. They concluded that cultural practices were a prime agent of bone destruction or preservation. Those bones which were disturbed by human agency were less well preserved than those which weren’t disturbed by cultural action.

Taphonomy drastically effects what we find and how much we can analyze. It is important to know why bones aren’t as well preserved as others, and what factors may have erased them completely. While this isn’t an exhaustive list of what can affect bones, it is a good beginning!

Works Cited

rb2_large_gray.pngLieverse, A., Weber, A., & Goriunova, O. (2006). Human taphonomy at Khuzhir-Nuge XIV, Siberia: a new method for documenting skeletal condition Journal of Archaeological Science, 33 (8), 1141-1151 DOI: 10.1016/j.jas.2005.12.001

Share this:

I've long considered bones to be the most likely route to confirmation, and probably has already happened many, many times. We all know of about five our six accounts that are consistent but no remains still exist.  To confirm, the finder needs to first know what he/she is looking for and at. Difficult with a species nobody has examined and reported on it detail. How many "cow" bones have been kicked out there? How many "horse" teeth? We'll never know. Keep your eyeballs peeled and watch where you step.

BFF Patron

If something is stationary for months or weeks before it disintegrates it is still easier for find than something that is hiding from you.   My best bet considering were I live is the ash fall areas East of Mt St Helens.    Watching for stuff eroding of the lahar.    If you look at the humans caught in the Pompeii eruption they are still preserved to this day.   Burial in hot ash must kill the bacteria that result in rapid deterioration.    I would look in the blast zone but would be caught and fined very quickly by the National Park Service.  

Lava tubes also seem likely in this area.   If they do not live in them, maybe they stash the bodies of their dead in them.     

Thom Powells fictional book Shady Neighbors he claims is pretty much based on fact even if it is fiction.      One chapter was about discovering the rock cairn grave of a BF.    I wonder if that was based on something he observed or someone else did?     I mentioned in another thread finding a stack of rocks that did not look natural near Mt St Helens because it was rectangular in form and had a rock stack that looked like a bird at one end.  It was about 5 feet by 12 feet and  nearly 4 feet tall.   I am going to start searching in that area again.    If BF bury their dead in rocky areas like that,  I might be able to find another rock stack.    If I get chased away because of some taboo about messing with their graves at least I will know what their concerns are.   Who knows it might provoke one enough to show itself so I can get a video to argue about. 

I have no idea if my change in tactics will make any difference, but it seems to me to more likely to produce tangible evidence than a video or picture to argue about.