Now What?

Guest ChasingRabbits

Guest ChasingRabbits

My ceramics teacher used to say "begin with an end in mind" (which is why my  stuff  never looked right and I dropped ceramics completely). With that in mind, let's say tomorrow there's a press conference and mainstream science declares that Big Foot does exist and here's the evidence, what's the next step(s)? For example, how should BFs be studied and to what extent (ex: zoos,  captivity breeding, etc.), should BF living areas be off limits to humans, should BF tissue be used for human pharmaceutical development,  and so forth.

(Sorry if this has been asked before)

My answer: The same next step. Only with lots more money behind it to get it done. You will still need a type specimen....no 2-ways about that.

Guest ChasingRabbits

My answer: The same next step. Only with lots more money behind it to get it done. You will still need a type specimen....no 2-ways about that.

As my post stated, the mainstream has acknowledge BFs existence and has the evidence. I'm sorry if I didn't specify that the evidence included living and dead specimens in addition to photographic "evidence".

So let's try this again.....

Tomorrow a press conference is held. Zoologists, geneticists, anthropologists, etc. from all the major universities and research centers are there. The consensus is that Big Foot exists. They have evidence. A curtain on the stage is moved and there's a live Big Foot in an iron cage. the next 4 hours is spent by various scientists giving slide show presentations on their findings.

What's the next step(s)?

Guest lightheart

This is not an animal to put on display. This is some type of hominid with at least proto-language, a social structure, and rudimentary stick and stone tool use.

Easy one: Each and every skoftic in the vicinity get very silent and/or hard to find. Membership on the BFF drops by 30%, instantly.  :-) 

. A curtain on the stage is moved and there's a live Big Foot in an iron cage. the next 4 hours is spent by various scientists giving slide show presentations on their findings.

What's the next step(s)?

Then it escapes, seizes Fay Wray and climbs the empire state building, and we shoot at it..... :D

Personally, I'll run out, clear the shelves of bear mace, print up a load of Sasquatch mace labels for it, and sell it at 10x the price.

Actually, I find this a very good question.  I, likely for my own selfish reasons, wish to have closure on this "are they real" topic, which is the main reason I get frustrated with the "I have proof but will not share it" crowd. 

That being said, I think that research would be next in line.  What kind of research, and who is best positioned to do it would be the first questions answered.  I think it would be beneficial to understand how they live, how they interact with their surroundings, how they have avoided comfirmation for so long along with other things.  I believe, if they exist, they are flesh and blood animals just as everything else in the known animal kingdom is.  I do not subscribe to the paranormal abilities that some attribute to them.  Then, who?  I imagine many would claim it should be those who have known for a while, perhaps habituators.  But I do not think they would be the best option.  For too long they have either hidden their evidence, or shown that they are simply not good enough to provide the desired evidence.  I imagine some formally educated biologists/primatologists with perhaps a willing "hab" guide - until the guide is no longer needed. 

Aside from that, I do not feel we need to set land aside, close our forests etc.  Business as usual in that respect. 

In no particular order, I expect you'd see some variation of the following:

1-Legislators in some large W. states would rush through legislation prohibiting the federal government from exercising eminent domain to seize public land for protection of Bigfoot, or limiting any lawful economic activity for the sake of their protection as well. Some other states would enact legislation to adopt BF as their state's official animal. All of your usual state v. federal power arguments would be trotted out in state capitals and in Washington, D.C. Gridlock (again and still) would ensue.

2-Amnesty International (or some similar human rigths advocacy organization) would immediately file an action in federal court to enjoin the further killing, torture, enslavement or harrassment of BF. A ruling in their favor by a federal District Court judge (affirmed by a Circuit Court of Appealsl) exacerbates the situation posed by 1., above. The SCOTUS decides by a narrow majority that a BF is entitled to equal protection and rights granted by the 13th and 14th Amendments, and there exists no rational basis for states to deny these rights to them. Rick Dyer, a self-proclaimed spokesman for BF (and who submitted an amicus brief on their behalf), takes it on himself to go to the woods and read the opinion outloud, with Scott Nelson translating for him. FBFB films it in its entirety and supplies red lines and circles for the edification of the Justices.    

3-Dr. Jeff Meldrum starts his second career as an expert witness, and half the faculty of ISU calls in sick that next work day.

4-Bigfoots everywhere continue not to care.

Edited by WSA
  • Upvote 1

and half the faculty of ISU calls in sick that next work day.

Heh. ... be nice if the ones who tried to get him kicked out had some uppance come though.

I kinda suspect that "we" will be brushed aside, with a very condescending attitude, be off lousy amateurs, the big boys are here now... happens in all sorts of fields transitioning from hobbyist to pro.

However, in this particular case, they could tell us to frick off, then come crawling back when they realise that yah, it was a cryptid for decades because it's kinda hard to pin down. 

Guest lightheart

Ha Ha WSA.....I especially liked that closing line.

Even though that was written tongue in cheek, I could see a few of those things actually playing out.

Add to that the fact that the national and state parks do not have the man power to deal with large numbers of gun-toting crazies out to bag one or even hordes of FB fans just out to see one. The parks are underfunded and understaffed since the hourly wage is only about $12 per hour.

Add in the fact that even if additional lands were set aside they can't get the Sasquatch to stay on them as Branco has alluded. I am sure it is quite the conundrum.

Then it escapes, seizes Fay Wray and climbs the empire state building, and we shoot at it..... :D

Personally, I'll run out, clear the shelves of bear mace, print up a load of Sasquatch mace labels for it, and sell it at 10x the price.

I was thinking the same thing. We could corner the market together.

CR,

I'd expect it would depend on what, in your hypothetical scenario, the bigfoot were determined to be, no?

Edited by Bonehead74
  • Upvote 1

SSR Team

With every passing day I believe more so that the existence of this animal will never be proven given the sheer abundance of problems it would create in all types of things, none more so than the logging industry that equates to $$.

And that's why I'm starting to think that this is never gong to be nailed.

I'd bet my life and have no doubt whatsoever that the powers that be already know that these things exist, and in fact I find it ridiculous to think they're unaware.

So with that in mind, and as absolutely horrific as it is, I think the OP question is nothing but something that will never happen.

Edited by WV FOOTER
edit text

given the sheer abundance of problems it would create in all types of things, 

I know right, the disabilities acts will kick in and we'll all have to raise our ceilings 2 feet and make the doors wider.

Anderson Cooper and CNN will broadcast live from the woods every hour of every day for the next decade or until another plane goes missing.

• Upvote 2