What Dangers Have You Faced While Searching For Bf?

OKBFFan

BFF Patron

I would think that would put a damper on outdoor activities, bipedalist? At least it would in my case, but I admit I'm a wimp.

Snakes are very cool as long as they are outdoors and not in my space, sunflower. We keep the grass short and clear of debris, so we haven't had much of a problem here, but I did have a snake in my garage. I also had a huge grass stomper because we had been laying sod that summer. Guess what happened to that snakes head... Then i was upset because it was a hog nosed snake and not a copperhead which was my first thought.

Actually, I mostly saw signs of the bear for many years before having some visuals and run-ins.  Never had a run in while camped in that zone, was cut off by a bear loping off a logging road embankment but it was young, and more scared of me and took an easy out.  Nuisance bears aplenty due to to careless pet food handouts, people leaving food in cars and birdseed create more problems for persons in neighborhoods.  As long as you are not enticing them with food and aromas you are ok in most instances out in the woods (the mother and cubs a different story).

Too bad about the snakes, copperheads are hard to detect until it is too late sometimes.  

Bears have a very long memory when they get easy food, even birdseed.  I had a penchant for leaving out sunflower seeds in a tube feeder elevated behind my house and found that out the hard way.  Eleven or so years after having discontinued the practice a large male conditioned by his mother to run the circuit continued to come back despite the absence of the feeder.  I eventually had a run in with it again when I inadvertently left recyclable soda bottles in a bag on a porch.  Definitely there are some things NOT to do when you live in bear country. 

agreed on  copperheads, I hate those. rattlers are around, usually further west than where I go.

ticks suck ,lol bad pun, but lyme disease is no joke. ....and black  bear is a possibility , but its the two legged scoundrels out there trespassing / poaching that you really have to be careful of .

cold weather / ice/ snow can all present challenges of their own...... but all of these are issues faced whether its BF or other things you pursue seasonally.

eta, just remember, if you hear banjos.......  Paddle-Faster-I-Hear-Banjos-Deliverance-

Edited by Doc Holliday

I guess in my area things that could POTENTIALLY be dangerous are lots of big black bear(Relatively speaking), lots of real big rattlers and copperheads, a few coyotes, and apparently some psychotic hillbillies(Or so I have been told, everyone that I meet up in those mountains warns me to carry protection due to the fact there are insane people that could get after me there) are the living things that pose a threat. Biggest danger though is falling, next in line has to be getting taken out by a falling tree/branch.

Tbh though how many people get killed by a bear? About 1 per year...Might as well say it doesn't happen tbph when you consider how often bears are around people. Snakes? About the same number of fatalities(Granted most people bitten are quickly taken into emergency care). Coyotes? Doesn't happen. People? Most common, but really not as much as you would figure. I think as long as you follow the basic safety rules of minding where your hands and feet go at all times(For Snakes, for instance I always carry a big stick and will pick a tarp up with it first before actually putting my hands on it, I also sleep in a covered hammock instead of on the ground), keeping food/cookware 150+ feet away from camp and always in it's own separate bag from my backpack(Bears and such), and staying off of forbidden property(Humans, I advocate avoiding places where you may be found or run into people when you are researching bigfoot anyway, avoid it like the plague!), you don't truly have to worry THAT much about being killed in the woods. But as I said, GETTING killed is a totally different thing.

My biggest danger and fear is? Being lost in the middle of the forest while it is getting dark and never knowing if you will find the trail. Oh yea! then having to trust on your dog and compass. Even though your compass says that it is the right way your brain says differently and that is when you further put your self further into the forest. Yes that really gives you a bad day.

• Upvote 1

My biggest danger and fear is? Being lost in the middle of the forest while it is getting dark and never knowing if you will find the trail. Oh yea! then having to trust on your dog and compass. Even though your compass says that it is the right way your brain says differently and that is when you further put your self further into the forest. Yes that really gives you a bad day.

Friggin living nightmare! I got lost one time and now am so afraid to do so again that I only hike around creeks and rivers, helps with alot of stuff I figure!

BFF Patron

Re: bears though, I was perusing moose fatalities and the Western Alaskan Eskimos apparently were more fearful of moose than grizzlies/brown bear, which says alot.

Case in point:

Edited by bipedalist

I've been face to face with a BF, black bear, 2 cougars, rattlesnakes, scorpions, black widows, skeeters, and a midget. And nothing has been more traumatic to me then the five guys I ran into in Humboldt County, CA. All I can say is I'm glad I was only beaten and left for dead than what happened on that movie Deliverance.

That drunk in bipedalist's first video was trying goad the moose, waving his arms like a rack and calling like that.  He needs a good goring/stomping. I wonder if there is a video of him taking a bone from a Caucasian Mountain dog(I video I would love to see)?

And the second video, harassing a mom with kids in tow? Name a wild animal that won't mess up your whole day for doing that.

Edited by stinkyfeet

Yikes. I get the picture. In fact, this week I am hearing of a rash of burglaries in my neighborhood, and I have to admit I'm terrified. These are meth heads, so they don't act rationally, so that scares me even more.

BFF Patron

That drunk in bipedalist's first video was trying goad the moose, waving his arms like a rack and calling like that.  He needs a good goring/stomping. I wonder if there is a video of him taking a bone from a Caucasian Mountain dog(I video I would love to see)?

And the second video, harassing a mom with kids in tow? Name a wild animal that won't mess up your whole day for doing that.

Yah, I would have stomped both parties in the videos too, with four legs and a .44 or .45 in tow. 

Further, just think about these dumb humans in the moose vids and some of the dumber BF  researchers and how BF is gonna react the same way or much, much worse; would easily explain the pinched head incidents that we think are so horrible re: the BF killings per se (beheaded thread beware, lol). A destroyed campsite is a mild warning of sorts I would say (relating this to another thread even). 

Edited by bipedalist

The other danger I have faced while being in the woods is going into an a area that I was not suppose to hunt in. What I mean is a area that these creatures use for hunting and entering it and not knowing it. They will confront you and do what they can do what they can to get you out of there. Like being growled at or being pushed out of a area that they do not want you to be in. They will leave sign to let you know that they are around and will utilize fear very well. They will block trails to prevent you from passing through, they will show their force so that you will not to mess with them and they will make you feel un comfortable so that you leave.

• Upvote 1

Bears have a very long memory when they get easy food, even birdseed.  I had a penchant for leaving out sunflower seeds in a tube feeder elevated behind my house and found that out the hard way.  Eleven or so years after having discontinued the practice a large male conditioned by his mother to run the circuit continued to come back despite the absence of the feeder.  I eventually had a run in with it again when I inadvertently left recyclable soda bottles in a bag on a porch.  Definitely there are some things NOT to do when you live in bear country.

I have a friend that lives in Franklin, New Hampshire, and she has had trouble with bears and birdseed. She had stopped putting seed out for years because of the Bears, and she just now started offering seed again this year. She immediately had a bear issue again.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

The other danger I have faced while being in the woods is going into an a area that I was not suppose to hunt in. What I mean is a area that these creatures use for hunting and entering it and not knowing it. They will confront you and do what they can do what they can to get you out of there. Like being growled at or being pushed out of a area that they do not want you to be in. They will leave sign to let you know that they are around and will utilize fear very well. They will block trails to prevent you from passing through, they will show their force so that you will not to mess with them and they will make you feel un comfortable so that you leave.

Ask Leigh Culver what happened to him one night when he transited such an area in the mtns of N.E. GA?  

Something along these lines (which he investigated interestingly enough, except imagine this at night).  

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=9712

Edited by bipedalist

I have walked up on bears around 400 pounds at about 25 feet, I would call that a danger and a good reason to carry long range pepper spray or bear spray.

I also have had them visit my tent at night, I have slapped a couple on the snout through the tent ,lol. The first time it took me 5 minutes to work up the will power to do it, my heart was pounding so hard I could hear and feel it in my ears.

I also know for a fact there was cougar in my study area.

• Upvote 1

When I first started studying BF I read an account of what I believe where fishermen at a reservoir who were harassed by BF all night. There were SF on ATV's in the area also doing night training. Never have found the report again though.

OOPs wrong thread, can someone move it to the SF thread?

Edited by indiefoot