What Dangers Have You Faced While Searching For Bf?

OKBFFan

Pretty unusual for Feb., I have to admit, but obviously not out of the range of possibles. What a crappy accident for this young man to experience. I only hope he was taken by surprise and not trying to prove his macho by capturing or harrassing the snake. I also hope the snake didn't come out the worst of the two in this exchange.

That would be a shame for an animal that magnificent.

I've only seen one rattler to compare with it...in the N. Ga. mountains, bushwhacking down an exposed rock shield on the side of Yellow Mtn at about the 4,500' elevation.  We were traveling single file when I happened to glance over and see it at about 50', just peeking its head up over a rock pile. We went over and checked it out. Absolutely gigantic, and I'm sure it was every bit of 8', with a girth the size of large man's bicep. You felt really privileged just to be in its presence.  

In the South, anywhere you step better have eyes-on for Mr. No-shoulders.  Any sunny day that happens to be near a winter denning site can be risky. I found out once too, if a snake heads down a hole, it will turn its head back before the tail is completely withdrawn. I had one rattler startle me as I was leaning in to count its rattles as it went underground.  Should have realized it wouldn't leave its back exposed like that.  

I should also add...the severity of the injury tells me this might have been an E. Diamondback, not a Timber rattler.

Edited by WSA

I used to have a slight soft spot for snakes, too, but after rat snakes killed some of my best laying hens, all compassion for them is gone. (Except for those cute little blue racers that the cats kill & drag up on the porch.) Too bad they can't get the rat snakes before they're big enough to kill a cat & leave the blue racers alone.

You really do need to pay considerable attention traversing brush zones in areas with poisonous snakes, but fortunetly most snakes will get out of your way, given the chance, and unless chilled, rattlesnakes will alert you to their presence before its too late to avoid a bite. With the way they pick up vibrations through the ground, they pretty much know you're coming from a ways off, but some species dont move so fast unless hard pressed. Copperheads may prove more reluctant to move as they depend on their cryptic patterning to a higher degree, and water moccasins...well...they're just water moccasins...same attitude as most water snakes with the addition of . knowing every strike counts, but fortunetly both these snakes have much less toxic(to us) venom, relative to the rattlesnakes and coralsnakes, largly due to their cold blooded prey.

Then theres also breeding populations of exotic venomous snakes in florida to REALLY keep an eye out for!

Admin

Buy snake boots.

Statistically, 99% of snake bites occur below the knee (unless you're a fool and try to grab it or put your hands on the dirt). Snake boots come up to just below the knee and are impenetrable to fangs, ticks, leaches, spiders,etc. waterproof too.

Edited by gigantor

In a nutshell, jealous Sasquatch menfolk of their lady BFs and overprotective Sasquatch fathers of their BF daughters...But I am an Amur and life w/o danger isn't really living....

I imagine that most places that have habitat suitable for bf would be suitable for wild boar, bear, moose, cougar, wolf and coyote, snakes, etc. I was wondering what everyone's personal experience was.

I imagine that most places that have habitat suitable for bf would be suitable for wild boar, bear, moose, cougar, wolf and coyote, snakes, etc. I was wondering what everyone's personal experience was.

Well yup, we suspect them to be a large omnivore, therefore whatever habitat supports large herbivores, and then perforce large carnivores, is also going to be suitable for them. Though I would further specify "with cover" be it, woodland, tall scrub, riparian woodland, old growth, new growth, whatever.

In a nutshell, jealous Sasquatch menfolk of their lady BFs and overprotective Sasquatch fathers of their BF daughters...But I am an Amur and life w/o danger isn't really living....

LOL, you should change your username to cubfoot.

Guest HarryLime

Buy snake boots.

Statistically, 99% of snake bites occur below the knee (unless you're a fool and try to grab it or put your hands on the dirt). Snake boots come up to just below the knee and are impenetrable to fangs, ticks, leaches, spiders,etc. waterproof too.

This ^. I bought some snake guards last Summer and it really makes hiking a lot less nerve-wracking.

Lots of run ins with snakes at my old place in Oklahoma but the worst one was when a snake got In my house through a mouse hole I think???  Found snake poo in the middle of the living room floor....Yikes!  Got my neighbor to verify........Crap!

BFF Patron

Large black bear populations and BF coexisted in at least one research area I have familiarity with.  

I would think that would put a damper on outdoor activities, bipedalist? At least it would in my case, but I admit I'm a wimp.

Snakes are very cool as long as they are outdoors and not in my space, sunflower. We keep the grass short and clear of debris, so we haven't had much of a problem here, but I did have a snake in my garage. I also had a huge grass stomper because we had been laying sod that summer. Guess what happened to that snakes head... Then i was upset because it was a hog nosed snake and not a copperhead which was my first thought.

I've also been sad when I've killed snakes with garden equipment, ... coz they were innocent "garter" snakes and quite pretty... had some living in a stump, mowed the lawn one day and it was carnage.