What About The Bones? Research Paper Now Available.

BigTreeWalker

The reference that mentioned the Colville tribe (actually the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation) the Wikipedia article Crowlogic posted also says this:

“The results do not tie Kennewick Man exclusively to the Colville,†said Doug Owsley, division head for physical anthropology at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History,

Other data show Kennewick Man was “a traveler…. His people were coming from somewhere else. We don’t know who that people (were), we don’t know what their culture was,†Owsley said.

Willerslev said that because researchers don’t have a comprehensive collection of DNA samples from native populations in the Americas, they can’t tell what population Kennewick Man is most closely related to.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2015/06/19/ancient-skeleton-native-americans/

BFF Patron

BTW I think we got off topic on your thread.     Not even sure how that happened.  

No problem. It started with the discussion of whether or not bodies have been recovered. We can all talk about it, we all have our opinions. But it can't be proven one way or another, unless or until someone from one of the usual mentioned institutions comes forward with some verifiable evidence.

I had a buddy hunting antler sheds in the Bitter root mtns above Lead ore, Idaho tell me that him and his buddy came into a box canyon and started finding bones. Lots of bones, and not all of one species. Deer, Elk, Sheep and even a Coyote skeletal remains were found.

The guy with my buddy started freaking out abit and simply stated they were in a kill zone by a unknown predator and he was getting out of there. They had never seen anything like it despite being raised in rural NE Washington. I also cannot say I've stumbled across anything like in my time.

This predator or predators were either carrying the dead animals there to be consumed or they were driven there and killed. The Coyote it would seem was in there scavenging and just was unlucky.

Bears are hibernating and a cougar doesn't do that. Which would leave a Wolf pack driving animals into a trap and dispatching them? Dunno.

The reference that mentioned the Colville tribe (actually the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation) the Wikipedia article Crowlogic posted also says this:

“The results do not tie Kennewick Man exclusively to the Colville,†said Doug Owsley, division head for physical anthropology at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History,

Other data show Kennewick Man was “a traveler…. His people were coming from somewhere else. We don’t know who that people (were), we don’t know what their culture was,†Owsley said.

Willerslev said that because researchers don’t have a comprehensive collection of DNA samples from native populations in the Americas, they can’t tell what population Kennewick Man is most closely related to.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2015/06/19/ancient-skeleton-native-americans/

I had read that Kennewick man most resembled the Ainu people of Japan. Who are hunter gathers from northern Japan and Russia who look Caucasian.

post-735-0-65381800-1446956624_thumb.jpg

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

Norse, that would be an interesting thing to see. But creepy to say the least. That doesn't even sound right for wolves. Predators are opportunistic and take their prey where they can. I wouldn't think a box canyon would be a normal travel corridor seeing as how they are a dead end or at least harder to get out of. Again, it sounds like human behavior, except for the bones still being there.

And its not even close to being easily accessible as a human hunter dumping ground.  

I wish I had been there, your bone collection may have gotten bigger.

I still don't think this line of research will prove anything to science. But maybe it will prove something to us. Just like planet hunters looking at distant suns for signs of a revolving planet.

At the very least it shows that there is a predator out there with undocumented feeding habits.  Something big enough to kill big prey and transport it to a single location.

Edited by JDL

And its not even close to being easily accessible as a human hunter dumping ground.  

I wish I had been there, your bone collection may have gotten bigger.

I still don't think this line of research will prove anything to science. But maybe it will prove something to us. Just like planet hunters looking at distant suns for signs of a revolving planet.

Well, when that body gets brought in and science decides to take notice. We'll have a head start on some of their feeding behavior. ;)

BFF Patron

Norsemans box canyon account sounds like a haber account I heard of a distant box canyon to the East of Washington where BF gather in some sort of regional conclave or powwow.   The haber was told by his local BF that there is such a gathering in the fall.     Idaho would be East of Washington.     Certainly a big conclave with feasting would produce a lot of animal bones in one area.    We hear all of these stories and legends about BF, but usually dismiss them.    Perhaps we should pay more attention to such things.  

BFF Patron

How steep walled was the box canyon? Could they have been driven off the bluff?  

He thought the animals were driven in, but not killed by falling rather by teeth and claws. I would say no to a buffalo jump like scenario

BFF Patron

From my one experience where I was trying to get a BF to break cover by moving into it, but got myself flanked by another one,   I can see them working together to trap prey in a box canyon.      They basically used similar  tactics on me.  

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Might be a good place to place one of those live feed camera that stream 24/7 online. Would be interesting to see what predator is using this canyon. I've seen these used in nature to watch birds hatch and such but I'm not sure the resources needed to set one up.