Sasquatch As The Animal

hiflier

Hello CMBigfoot,

Beautiful animal- congratulations on a well placed cam! I think caves and Sasquatch to be a real connection. I can only say that many caves remain undiscovered especially in dense unused areas forest or mountainous terrain. 

Thanks Hiflier.

I wonder, if this Lidar can find mine entrances could it also find cave openings in dense forests as well?

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/local/stayton/2015/04/05/special-radar-helps-find-abandon-canyon-mines/25263779/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

I subscribe to the theory of utilization of rock shelters...true solution cave use, not likely, for reasons articulated. In NW Alabama we have thousands of examples of these shelters, and reports of encounters to match. I like them to duck into, out of the rain, so I assume others do as well.

• Upvote 1

That one might be able to locate a BF, if it can locate dismounted troops. Just curious CM it looks like your pictures disappeared.

Hiflier, that was an interesting link about cave use. From reading that I might add that lava tubes in eastern Oregon or southern Idaho are in dryer climates and would be less damp than the ones around Mt St Helens. I also agree with them that caves may be like a trap due to lack of entrances.

Hi BTW,

Yes, I deleted my photos.

I was thinking the same thing if this Darpa Forester can detect walking soldiers underneath tree cover from a distance of 30 miles maybe it could detect a BF as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA_FORESTER

Here's a video of the A160 Hummingbird with the Forester Antennae.

Edited by CMBigfoot

Going back to the OP, the original question was "Are Bigfoot animals, like any other animal, including humans?"  But the discussion indicates that it also matters whether or not Bigfoot are intelligent, and beyond that, whether or not Bigfoot are "human", with respect to their ability to think, reason, develop a strategy, and then "choose" to do one thing or another.

From personal experience, they behave more like people than animals.  And having looked one in the eyes for 45 seconds as we each waited to see what the other was going to do, I can tell you that I did not perceive it to be any less intelligent than human, and that I believed it to be human, though freakish in aspect (I had never heard of bigfoot prior to the encounter).  I can also tell you that they do very much appear to think, reason, strategize, and choose their actions.

Our behavior, with respect to sheltering in caves, or surreptitiously scratching our posterior when no one is looking, is situational, because we think, reason, strategize, and choose what to do and when to do it.  We do something because it is advantageous under a given set of circumstances, and may not do it under another set of circumstances.

As someone earlier stated, they may do one thing one time and another under a different set of circumstances.  Their behavior is situational, and this aspect of their behavior should not be taken lightly.  What other creature in the world manages to consistently befuddle us and get the better of us?  This is because they modify their behavior in accordance to ours and in response to the relative levels of risk and threat.

Where they do correspond to animals more generally, is that they are predators, but so are we.  And if you think about it, a human that exhibited the same lurking behaviors that they do would be considered a threat.  They are, in a very real sense, boogey men - boogers, as some call them.

If they weren't so human, not just in aspect, but in behavior, they wouldn't creep us out so much.

• Upvote 4

BFF Patron

Their behavior may be situational with regard to most things but not their apparent prime directive to avoid human contact.     That directive is suspiciously universal to me and does not seem to be totally related to their survival with regard to conflict with humans.   .     Even before the human use of fire arms in North America when humans were at a significant disadvantage with respect to the strength and speed of BF,  BF apparently were as reclusive as they are now.     Why?   With Native Americans armed with bows, arrows, and spears,  humans were really not that big a threat to BF.     Even today with our weapons,   the larger bears:    grizzlies,   Alaskan Brown, and Polar bears have been known to hunt armed humans.    Why would a male BF at the same size,  seem determined to hide at all cost from an unarmed human when I really does not need to for survival.     Something else is going on here that is significant.     The question is what?  

• Upvote 1

I've had a bigfoot directly confront me, and I was with two other kids.  We were 12, 12, and 10.  I'm still unsure as to its motivation.

I've also had to stand my ground on other occassions.

But in each case they did eventually retreat.

Hello JDL,

And most animals WOULD retreat regardless of what type of animal they are- intelligent or not. Other animals like deer will look one in the eye as well therefore I see nothing unique in that regard. When it comes to animals most are reclusive as their maneuvering to avoid contact demonstrates. What makes Sasquatch "curious" is the same thing that makes other creatures that are similar curious. Dogs will stop when they see other dogs. We people watch. Sasquatch and Humans share similar physical traits and so the curiosity factore cuts both ways- it's part of the natural world.

As far as being a predator I still think it's only one out of necessity when other foods that are less taxing and zap less energy like plants, berries, nuts, etc. are in short supply or seasonally non-existent. In that context MANY creature can become predators. Many naturally are but I don't think Sasquatch is unless circumstances force it to be. It requires a lot of energy to hunt and a creature that size who needs that many calories would burn them unless absolutely necessary. Just my opinion though.

Edited by hiflier

Honestly, hiflier, you have no appreciation for the situation.  I know you have a world view regarding bigfoot, but it does not coincide with my experience.  They are opportunistic and very definitely meat eating omnivores.  Pets tend to disappear when they are around and kids disappeared annually in that area as well.

In the encounter I referenced above, my friend Dave was within arm's reach of it.  When it emerged from the wash my brother and I were ready to run, but Dave was rooted to the ground gaping at it.  He wasn't going anywhere, and I wasn't going to take off and abandon him to whatever the thing intended.  So I settled my stance in what was initially a stand-off.  We were spread out enough that it couldn't go for two of us at the same time.  I don't know what it's intentions were, but there was a palpable detent after about 30 seconds.  Then it left.

• Upvote 1

Guest ChasingRabbits

Regarding BFs and caves/rocky shelters. It's always puzzled me why some think BFs wouldn't have need for shelter even on a temporary basis (during a storm or at night). 

As several have said, I believe they understand that we carry weapons, and steer clear of anything that resembles a firearm.  But beyond that I think that they are never quite sure what we may have up our sleeve, so to speak.  So a human brazen enough to stand its ground and look a bigfoot back in the eye, may well have the capability to inflict harm from the bigfoot's perspective, even if that means is not readily apparent.  If you were to walk through the woods with a garden rake instead of a rifle over your shoulder, they would likely be as wary.

If you were to walk through the woods with a garden rake instead of a rifle over your shoulder, they would likely be as wary.

http://blog.nwf.org/2009/07/the-american-crow-is-one-smart-bird/

Reports exist that crows can distinguish between a man carrying a gun and a man carrying a stick. Such an incident is related by the late Ernest Thompson Seton, who, in his popular book “Wild Animals I Have Known,†wrote about “Silverspot, the Story of a Crow.â€

In the story, Seton relates how Silverspot would fly above him and vocalize to his flock. To test Silverspot’s intelligence, Seton, during separate times while standing on a bridge that spanned a ravine, stood alone one day, took with him a stick on another day, and stood on the bridge holding a gun on the third day. When he held the gun, Seton wrote, “… at once (Silverspot) cried out, ‘Great danger — a gun.’ ‘ca-ca-ca-ca Caw!’ His lieutenant repeated the cry, and every crow in the troop began to tower and scatter from the rest.â€