Why Hasn't There More Bigfoot Been Shot

yowiie

Well the basic philosophical problem with a lot of skeptics is that they want proof before they go look. Evidently they do not want to go stick their necks out. So they rely on science to spoon feed them instead. Over on the JREF i see a lot of Europeans telling north Americans what is and is not possible.....4000 miles away, whatever.

Nothing replaces boots on the ground. And if you want proof, its best to do it yourself.

• Upvote 2

Guest OntarioSquatch

Over on the JREF i see a lot of Europeans telling north Americans what is and is not possible.....4000 miles away, whatever.

One of the British guys there admitted he thought the Ouachita mountains were "up north" after an entire year of trying to discredit the NAWAC. The really bad part is that even their members in North America have that same sort of mentality. They try to discredit this field of research, regardless of what the facts may be. 

If I were really hunting a BF, I would use the largest firearm I have, which is a Dakota rife in .416 Rigby.  Since I don't normally carry this rifle in the deer woods, I probably won't be shooting at a BF.  If not deer season, I usually just pack a handgun, anywhere from a .22 to a .44 magnum, and even though the .44 packs a pretty good wallop, it is still just a handgun caliber, and probably smallish for a BF.

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post

Living in Australia we have very strict gun laws and you must provide of identity and a genuine reason for wanting a gun or rifle.

Reasons like eliminating vermon or your a member of a gun club, there aren't many other reasons for applying for the desired licence

What fascinates the Australian population are the lacks American gun laws, whenever there is a shooting in the USA its all over owe news for days and the big question is "when are they going to tighten the gun laws"

It comes across to the majority of Australians is that nearly every second person has a gun in America

So getting to the point of my post, if there are so many people with guns in the USA, why aren't there more BF bodies compared to the amount of sightings

I hope i have not offended anyone, that was not my intention

I guess we all know many hunters have had these things in their sights and decided not to pull the trigger because it looked too human. I think, at least for myself, and I am pro-kill, that before you drop the hammer on this thing and get it really pissed off, are you going to be able to stop it with the caliber rifle you are carrying? Many have been shot with so-called Deer Rifles, and have gotten away, never to be found. As we all know Deer sized caliber rifles are designed for deer sized game, 270, 308, 30-06. etc. When you are dealing with a beast that weighs perhaps 850 pounds, or more, I dont know about you but I am going to think twice about shooting it with such a rifle. I for one would not do it, I believe you just might make it very very angry. Yes, I know, some will argue that a 30-06 is all you need, or a similar calibre, but I for one just do not trust it. I think any caliber one would use to hunt Brown or Grizzly Bear would suffice.

I'm German Amish on my mother's side and they still say "going out amongst the English are you?"

:)

X2 Norseman...........A Miller from Millersburg OH :dancer:

This has been a great thread and I am so glad to hear I am surrounded by a bunch of red blooded Americans who KNOW what the 2A is all about!

I have told myself that I would shoot one if the chance ever came about..................but then I tell myself, "You KNOW you wouldn't be able to pull the trigger on that Awesome creature". I love to hunt and have Personal Defense arms as many here do........Concealed weapons license holder of course.  I really liked a post mentioning how Guns are Tools. That is Spot on!

If there were no guns, the crazies out there would use whatever means they had to kill.......Guns dont kill, people do. Anyone tells you different is feeding you propaganda in order to keep you at their will. 

Bigfoot is so much "bigger", if you will, than any other creature in our forests that would be considered typical game.........................There is a lot of video footage and even though most of the videos are fake to jokingly fake, it only takes ONE for it to be real IMHO

• Upvote 1

Living in Australia we have very strict gun laws and you must provide of identity and a genuine reason for wanting a gun or rifle.

Reasons like eliminating vermon or your a member of a gun club, there aren't many other reasons for applying for the desired licence

What fascinates the Australian population are the lacks American gun laws, whenever there is a shooting in the USA its all over owe news for days and the big question is "when are they going to tighten the gun laws"

It comes across to the majority of Australians is that nearly every second person has a gun in America

So getting to the point of my post, if there are so many people with guns in the USA, why aren't there more BF bodies compared to the amount of sightings

I guess we all know many hunters have had these things in their sights and decided not to pull the trigger because it looked too human. I think, at least for myself, and I am pro-kill, that before you drop the hammer on this thing and get it really pissed off, are you going to be able to stop it with the caliber rifle you are carrying? Many have been shot with so-called Deer Rifles, and have gotten away, never to be found. As we all know Deer sized caliber rifles are designed for deer sized game, 270, 308, 30-06. etc. When you are dealing with a beast that weighs perhaps 850 pounds, or more, I dont know about you but I am going to think twice about shooting it with such a rifle. I for one would not do it, I believe you just might make it very very angry. Yes, I know, some will argue that a 30-06 is all you need, or a similar calibre, but I for one just do not trust it. I think any caliber one would use to hunt Brown or Grizzly Bear would suffice.

It would be risky to shoot BF with a deer rifle if the BFRO story that I read is true. An Oregon guide had three lady clients and BF stepped out on the trail. The guide shot it with a deer rifle and the ladies told the authorities the animal ripped him apart. They told the ladies it was a bear over their insistence that it was another kind of animal. I suppose a head shot with a deer rifle is the only way to go with a full grown BF.  

Shooting the Mom with several kids or the Dad would not sit well with me. How do you know before pulling the trigger? 

Edited by georgerm
  • Upvote 1

It would be risky to shoot BF with a deer rifle if the BFRO story that I read is true. An Oregon guide had three lady clients and BF stepped out on the trail. The guide shot it with a deer rifle and the ladies told the authorities the animal ripped him apart. They told the ladies it was a bear over their insistence that it was another kind of animal. I suppose a head shot with a deer rifle is the only way to go with a full grown BF.  

Shooting the Mom with several kids or the Dad would not sit well with me. How do you know before pulling the trigger? 

A while back when I first got here, I suggested that just because you see one, doesn't mean others are not nearby.  I caught a lot of flak for suggesting that.  I mean, some folks were just offended at the very thought.

Then someone did their homework, examined hundreds and hundreds of reports and noted a significant percentage of sightings where there were more than one critter in the reported sightings.

That's the thing.  There's no way to know if any others are around as you squeeze the trigger.  And those things have tactical excellence - yet another characteristic some posters here would automatically discount.

I also suggested that if I return to a specific location, I'd need some serious firepower - an AR in .338 WinMag - and still others were offended - trying to tell me what I need - and they have zero idea as to the overall tactical need, specific tactical requirements, time of day, specific firearm enhancements, the terrain, the distance, the cover available, the local population, the killing grounds, nor the specific strategy involved.

Oh Mah and georgerm, you have my respect as you gentlemen have at least thought through a few things.

Edited by FarArcher

Native Americans back then used Bows and Arrows to kill these creatures  and they even used spears , the creatures used rocks and logs to fight back. Now I am not sure how on is going to take this but If a single man can take down a large carnivore like an Alaskan brown bear with a 80 lbs pull compound bow with one shot then it should not be hard to take down one of these creatures with the same , by using a large broad head that can take out vital organs or even go through the spine if shot well enough . Guns are great and all but who is going to hear a bow go off in the woods when all they will hear is when that broad head goes through that large chest and makes that thump. That creature will never know what hit it when it runs off until it bleeds out or drops right on the spot with a spinal shot. If you are hidden well enough the creature will never know where the shot came from since a bow or cross bow is so silent and deadly. Beside if you find your arrow you will know the hit you made on the creature by the blood that is found on your arrow.

Gun shots are loud and unless you have a licence for a silencer and can use it while hunting these creatures are going to surround you as soon as the first shot is heard at one of there own. Not a risk that is worth taking when hunting these creatures with guns. I can see the damage that a bow and arrow or a cross bow can do and if they are with in range of the bow or crossbow penetration hen one does have a chance of bringing one in. It just take the guts to pull or let go of your fear of dying and take the shot. Another opinion and suggestion that will go unanswered. A norm that I am use too. But as it stands today no one has been able to accomplish the deed that needs to be accomplished. If our Native American Ancestors were able to fight them off and call truce with them then what is stopping us from requiring a specimen. They did it with arrows and spears and lost great warriors in the process, but were able to accomplish a truce where they could keep them at bay. 

Yes arrows are an effective means of hunting. The broadheads do the job with massive hemorrhaging rather than shock and destruction of tissue as a bullet does. The only problem with this is that it is usually not instantaneous. Bow hunters that go for dangerous game usually have a guide with a large caliber rifle backing them up.

Since most bow shots are under 50 yards you're close. If you are in a stand your target may be unaware of your presence. But if you are on the ground it seems the norm for BF is they are already aware of your presence. Since it takes time for something to bleed out from an arrow wound. You are going to have a little fun on your hands.

Regardless of one's tactical approach, tactical thinking, personal experience, level of skill, and plan for execution, I believe that the biggest mistake one can make is to assume the problem solving from their perspective.

Let's face it, we're talking about either a meeting engagement - which has little time for any preparation - or we're talking about an ambush scenario - from a fixed location.

I know some here may consider my credentials to be difficult to believe, and therefore any of my observations and comments are questionable, but I ran into that, even in the service.  Non-airborne personnel didn't care for airborne personnel, Rangers didn't care for SF unless the SF also had a Ranger tab, and the whole thing was ridiculous.  Small minds.

I promise I'm getting to my point.  When I wrote Edicts of Ares, one glaring mistake military commanders habitually make is to come up with a plan for execution per Standard Operating Procedure, and then, that was it.  Here's the PLAN.

Whatever life experiences, personal knowledge, time constraint on planning, and tactical understandings, that was what went into their plan.  When in fact, they were only half done. In SF, we were basically teachers.  Instructors.  Our charges, many whom were illiterate and completely inexperienced, after we taught them, when they went into combat, their KR, or success rate, was over 30:1.  US Army regulars had a success ratio of 4:1.  Apparently, we were better teachers than the US Army.  The numbers said so.

So when I point out something, it's to hopefully improve your success, and minimize your risk.  That's it.  Some can get irritated like others I've run into all my life, some can get offended that I would suggest something different, but some of you can think about a few of these things, and maybe pull something out that will help you.

Once you have a plan, now comes the hardest part.  Now you have to take a breath, and try to circumvent your plan, or destroy your plan by assuming the role of your opponent.  Brutally attacking your own plan is most difficult.  "What could go wrong?"  "What can my opponent possibly do in response?"  "Where am I most vulnerable?"  "If I were him, how would I kill me?"  "What if there are others undetected?" On and on, and on.

In moments, you'll start to see the problems you didn't think of, or maybe can't correct, or maybe can't properly defend.  Things on paper, or at first glance may look workable - but when you start aggressively attacking your plan - you'll immediately start finding flaws.

These critters are massive.  If you shoot, you must drop it on the spot.  Anything less, and it's breaking for cover.

A wounded Brown Bear in cover, is a most dangerous thing.  And while they're instinctive, they're not capable of thinking - like these things are.  Critters are masters of ambush - that's primarily how they hunt.  And you're going into cover after one?  Because you didn't kill it on the spot?  This isn't a deer or elk.  This thing is a dangerous thinker.

Most store-bought stands are notoriously unstable.  You miss, or you get surprised from another approaching from behind after wounding one, some of these critters can ****** you right out of the stand.

Or, they can swat the stand, knocking it loose, and you'll find yourself on the ground, and not at the "ready" position.

A broadhead can drop something on the spot - but rarely.  Are you going to risk your life on that shot?

Are you going to use a deer rifle?  A man can cover 40 yards in under six seconds.  These things are much faster.  You sure you're going to have time for a follow-up?

Always work your plan over from your opponent's perspective, and be ruthless.  But you must always be most ruthless with yourself.

Edited by FarArcher

Thank you Fararcher they are smart creatures and to hunt them will take a lot of planning, and understanding that you or any one of who decide to go after one of these creatures better have a good will in place. This why I have always said that I would never hunt them but am always open to the idea of finding a dead one that was either hit by a truck or car and ran off and hid to die or one that just died of natural cause and tuck itself under some place to die.

My idea of a tree stand is a rope and a harness where you just swing from the tree at a pivot point some 30' - 40 ' with your bow or cross bow this way you are not on a tree stand. I have always felt safe this way. But no I would never risk my life unless I was forced too and then it would be for my family members. I have seen how these creatures are ambush killers and the way that they hide that would make the most elite look like , well no disrespect, but little babies leaning to walk. Your prospective is what is needed and you are right we do not have to believe you, but is that not up to us the reader to choose. From the things that I have experience you give sound advice and I would take heed on your sound knowledge.

Any animal that is large that one hunts is dangerous no matter if it is a deer , they will not give up their battle to survive until their last breath. Every creature on earth should be treated with respect including insects, cause you never know what one is handling until it is to late. I was in Mexico playing in a park and my foot almost went into a drain and when I looked inside there was a coral snake there moving around. It was small yet It could have done me in. Experience helps others so that they do not make the mistakes other have made. 

Fararcher

A 30:1 kill ratio compared to a 4:1 kill ratio is real good and means that they had their heart in it, You guys did a great job getting them ready to go all out fighting machines. Bravo Zulu way to lead the Charge. Thanks for your service

• Upvote 1

Regardless of one's tactical approach, tactical thinking, personal experience, level of skill, and plan for execution, I believe that the biggest mistake one can make is to assume the problem solving from their perspective.

Let's face it, we're talking about either a meeting engagement - which has little time for any preparation - or we're talking about an ambush scenario - from a fixed location.

I know some here may consider my credentials to be difficult to believe, and therefore any of my observations and comments are questionable, but I ran into that, even in the service. Non-airborne personnel didn't care for airborne personnel, Rangers didn't care for SF unless the SF also had a Ranger tab, and the whole thing was ridiculous. Small minds.

I promise I'm getting to my point. When I wrote Edicts of Ares, one glaring mistake military commanders habitually make is to come up with a plan for execution per Standard Operating Procedure, and then, that was it. Here's the PLAN.

Whatever life experiences, personal knowledge, time constraint on planning, and tactical understandings, that was what went into their plan. When in fact, they were only half done. In SF, we were basically teachers. Instructors. Our charges, many whom were illiterate and completely inexperienced, after we taught them, when they went into combat, their KR, or success rate, was over 30:1. US Army regulars had a success ratio of 4:1. Apparently, we were better teachers than the US Army. The numbers said so.

So when I point out something, it's to hopefully improve your success, and minimize your risk. That's it. Some can get irritated like others I've run into all my life, some can get offended that I would suggest something different, but some of you can think about a few of these things, and maybe pull something out that will help you.

Once you have a plan, now comes the hardest part. Now you have to take a breath, and try to circumvent your plan, or destroy your plan by assuming the role of your opponent. Brutally attacking your own plan is most difficult. "What could go wrong?" "What can my opponent possibly do in response?" "Where am I most vulnerable?" "If I were him, how would I kill me?" "What if there are others undetected?" On and on, and on.

In moments, you'll start to see the problems you didn't think of, or maybe can't correct, or maybe can't properly defend. Things on paper, or at first glance may look workable - but when you start aggressively attacking your plan - you'll immediately start finding flaws.

These critters are massive. If you shoot, you must drop it on the spot. Anything less, and it's breaking for cover.

A wounded Brown Bear in cover, is a most dangerous thing. And while they're instinctive, they're not capable of thinking - like these things are. Critters are masters of ambush - that's primarily how they hunt. And you're going into cover after one? Because you didn't kill it on the spot? This isn't a deer or elk. This thing is a dangerous thinker.

Most store-bought stands are notoriously unstable. You miss, or you get surprised from another approaching from behind after wounding one, some of these critters can ****** you right out of the stand.

Or, they can swat the stand, knocking it loose, and you'll find yourself on the ground, and not at the "ready" position.

A broadhead can drop something on the spot - but rarely. Are you going to risk your life on that shot?

Are you going to use a deer rifle? A man can cover 40 yards in under six seconds. These things are much faster. You sure you're going to have time for a follow-up?

Always work your plan over from your opponent's perspective, and be ruthless. But you must always be most ruthless with yourself.

It's not bad advice at all, "be prepared" is always sound advice. I do take exception to a few things though. Like the fact a Brown Bear doesn't think, they do think, they even problem solve. They push boxes around an enclosure so they can reach things out of their reach.....like a primate. So just be careful out there.

The only other exception which really isnt an exception its just a point of fact. We dont know the capabilities of these creatures.

Are they spartan super ninja warriors that would wreck a SEAL team patrol like Todd Standing claims? Or are they a benevelont Harry and the Hendersons creature that is going to attempt to shove flowers down your rifle barrel? Something in between? Probably. How organized are they? Are we dealing with something that coordinates attacks at the family level? Tribal level? 10-20 individuals? Probably not.

I'll give this my best Kentucky windage, because you cannot create a "react to contact" plan without knowing what it is your up against, which I think needs to be discussed.

Size- How big of a group can we expect to encounter? Reportedly males are 800 lbs, so lets average a 4 member family group at around 500 lbs. A full grown male, female and assorted adolescent and infant family members. How many lbs of forage will it take to support a 5-6 member family of Sasquatch? A 400 lbs Gorilla eats 10% of its body weight per day. So by guesstimate a family of Sasquatch will eat around 250-300 lbs of forage per day. Thats vegetation and insects. A 200 lbs deer kill may last a couple of days because of its high protein content. I think this scenario is pushing the carrying capacity of most boreal forests. Any more animals together and we would simply have been following the path of destruction around in the woods long ago. I think a family unit is about as big of a group as can be sustained. And its even more likely that males and females go their seperate ways after breeding and a female may have no more than a infant and a adolescent with her at any given time. Probably just an infant. younger males could form small bachelor groups, and bigger males may very well be solitary. Orangutan males are very solitary and VERY defensive of their home turf and the females that reside within it.

Planning- We hear whoops, wood knocks and even samurai chatter. Some believe we are dealing with a complete language. Can they coordinate attacks? What is our evidence? Are different family group males coming together in defense of a shared range? Is mom just backing up dad with the kids stashed under a root wad? I think its safe to say that people are not facing Bigfoot Army on a regular basis at the USFS picnic area......but Bears are a concern. If Sasquatch does not coordinate and execute attacks for precious resources such as food? Are they capable of such coordination? A few stories tell of coordinated attacks such as Ape Canyon. The miners did not mention whoops, samurai chatter or wood knocks in the area prior to the attack though.

Weapons- Basically we are dealing with a troggulite that needs to close with a human and do damage by physical contact. Not unlike any other Extant Ape. There are reports of rock throwing. No evidence of stone tool manufacture nor are they observed with a kit. (My suggestion is a rifle with plenty of stopping power. If it gets to you your probably dead. Ill add on to what FA said, A hand cannon wheel gun as backup is a great idea too.)

360 degrees- If these things coordinate attacks or even if they dont it might be smart for your safety to have a tail end charlie, rear security. Somebody looking away from all the frontal action just in case of diversions or any threat trying to take advantage of the back door.

Good subject FA.

Edited by norseman

Guest OntarioSquatch

Michael Humphreys of Oklahoma stated that after his brother shot and killed one, a Sasquatch just outside their home would constantly try to draw them out and get them to enter the woods. At the wood line they would hear a bunch of them moving in the background and that's when he realized it was a trap. He's also reported hearing them chatter in some sort of language that sounds similar to the recordings known as the Sierra sounds.

Bears don't think - they are very intuitive and they can problem solve to meet an immediate need - just like a rat can eventually negotiate a maze.  They try one thing, if that doesn't work they try another, on and on.  They can learn some things, but they don't really think nor recognize real danger.  They'll charge a rifle or a spear as they don't think of them as weapons.  

As far as Squatch capabilities, we have hundreds of narratives from folks who have either observed them for some time, have been "driven" out of an area, have been warned away with things being thrown nearby, and many have been shocked to learn that they are in fact, 'surrounded' when they were certain there was only one initially.  We have observations of numbers that appear to be 'driving' herds of deer in a certain direction, and others downrange are apparently waiting in ambush, communicating with various knocks.

I don't consider this Todd Standing as the an authority.  Interesting description - yes - I think these things do live a Spartan life.  No, they don't carry katanas, so they're not Ninjas.  Could they wreck a SEAL team?  Possibly.  They're multiple times stronger, a good third again faster, they can run up a steep incline and SEALS can't, they have a built-in Ghillie suit, their coat is flat black and non-reflective, they don't wear boots so they are able to traverse terrain without making any noise, the SEALS usually carry suppressed 9mm's and .223's which I feel would be somewhat lacking against something this thick, massive, and moves so quickly.

They also have night vision, but it's much better and their peripheral vision has to be better than the more unidirectional night vision the SEALS would have, and of course their ability to low crawl and conduct their own ambushes are unequaled.  Then, they seem to have an ability to throw bowling ball sized rocks like we'd throw a softball - and those don't make any noise until they hit and crack bones.

Like a SEAL team, they too, have their group/team/clan/family - and they've worked together probably a lot longer than the SEAL team - under more harsh conditions - and have their own code/communications.  I'd say they're pretty organized and tactically sound.

How many?  I assured a man I would not divulge his name or the incident, but he and a few others had an ongoing confrontation for quite a while.  He told me that if you circumvented this particular group/clan/family, they'd go away for a short period, and somehow come back with more.  The fact is, we don't know the family sizes, nor clan sizes, and of course part of that would likely depend on terrain.  10 individuals?  20 individuals?  You'll only find out for certain one way.

Your sizes for individuals - I've heard many descriptions of much larger, much heavier individuals.  There's no fat on these things, and yet they're massive, thick, and strong.  I see a huge fatboy Offensive Lineman that may weigh 340, and these things would toss him around with no problem.  It's hard to explain until you actually get close and get the full dose of what size these things are.  Of course there will be smaller ones, but an 800-pounder would likely be a teenager.

One can't compare the diet of a gorilla to a Squatch, as gorillas are given to eating vegetation.  

They don't kill deer for the protein.   I keep stressing doing your homework.

The deer liver is a good sized organ that contains substantial amounts of every vitamin necessary for life, particularly important for animals that may have a limited diet in harsh winter conditions.  Deer liver is has a very high concentration of Vitamin A, which is crucial for a nocturnal animal's ability to see in the dark, and Vitamin A is crucial to the thickening of the skin (keratinization).  Deer liver is so rich in Vitamin A, that if this were the sole source of food, the animal would die of Vitamin A poisoning, although Fall and Winter depletion would prevent this from happening.

About 90% of cholesterol production occurs in the liver, which is the building block for hormones.  Of all the organs, liver dumps the largest amount of proteins in the blood.  When this significant repository of proteins is eaten, the proteins get broken down into amino acids, which in turn are used to build enzymes and even additional proteins.

The liver is also a repository for glycogen.  Glycogen molecules are basically ready-to-use energy storage molecules formed by giant clusters of glucose molecules.  During digestion, these glycogen molecules get broken down and are absorbed as glucose, which are the energy used by muscles and tissues including brain cells, which can be rebuilt and turned into ready-to-use energy molecules to be stored in the BF's own liver.

The liver also stores significant amounts of lipids, or fats, another efficient storage medium of calories.  

Any hunter worth his salt knows that the very first thing large predators do is rip open the prey and go for the liver.  Lions on zebras, wolves on caribou, mountain lions on deer.

That's why.

The areas I've been in, there are gobs and gobs of deer herds, and in fact, we have more deer in the US than we had in 1900.  So no.  A fair population isn't going to strip the land of game, fruits, berries, tubers, greenery, wild onions, bugs, rodents, snakes, rabbits, and the like.  Just going up and down that mountain on the ATV, I found myself in the middle of twenty or so deer all around me running with me - at least four times.  Oh.  There are wild cattle up there too.  Almost forgot that.  Then, on occasion, a bear has lots of fat - what a ton of calories.

You appear to base your thinking on apes.  It's just my opinion, but that's a great underestimation.

They can throw unbelievable things unbelievable distances, with unbelievable accuracy.  No, I don't think so.  I believe they do NOT have to close with you to bust every bone in your body.  Anyone that can throw huge rocks and sling trees - those are stand-off weapons.  They can hide better than anything else I've ever contemplated - and I have seen lots of different things engaged in hiding.  I would estimate that many of you who have spent any time in the wild, have come within fifty feet of a critter, and never knew it.

We have reports of these things jumping onto prey from significant distances - and that's how they hunt.  I've seen what they did to a deer neck.  Looked like it had been hit with a barn pole.

One cannot go wrong overestimating the capabilities of your opponent.

But one can sure get his rear end in a crack real fast by underestimating your opponent.

Which is code for overestimating YOUR capabilities.

Everyone do your homework, plan, and then tear apart that plan from your opponent's position.  

Michael Humphreys of Oklahoma stated that after his brother shot and killed one, a Sasquatch just outside their home would constantly try to draw them out and get them to enter the woods. At the wood line they would hear a bunch of them moving in the background and that's when he realized it was a trap. He's also reported hearing them chatter in some sort of language that sounds similar to the recordings known as the Sierra sounds.

Yes he did.  Critters would use misdirection by coming into the open to gain their attention, as others tried to flank on both sides along the treeline to enable envelopment.

As fast as these things are, a bum rush from three directions from multiple sprinters could have been a real problem, real fast.

The two brothers would get back to back, each facing toward the flankers, and that tactic would throw the critters planning off.

Edited by FarArcher

I have done my homework, I've sent a femur bone off to BTW's bone study that I found in the Selkirks. I would have to say your way off on your hypothesis that they ONLY kill ungulates for their organs and the vitamins contained there in. They are eating meat off the bone and leaving their teeth marks behind as evidence. They may even be cracking the bone to get to the bone marrow as in my case.

As far as everything else, if they can kill an eight man SEAL team with four thousand rounds of ammunition plus 40mm grenades and all the rest of their kit? I dont think any of us need to be working out react to contact drills or ambushes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9KmliL_u7A8