Analytical Research - Sightings Database

BobbyO

16 hours ago, Redbone said:

Updated SSR Database numbers - 1 month later

Georgia, North Carolina, West Virginia, New Hampshire, and Florida are all DONE plus Nova Scotia (which only had 2 reports).

Alaska was and is basically done, but I still have 13 AK reports to check for accuracy. (13)

Thank you very much, Redbone!

I had not realized that you finished entering the cases for AZ and NM.  

Just took a look at the Google Earth maps for those states and it was very helpful for the question I have been studying in NM.

Also, it was very helpful to see the cases you got for CA.  Looking forward for CA to be completed.

SSR Team

Red, the Alaska's are good for sure, i done them around about 2 years or so ago and completed what was in the BFRO then.

Thumbs up as always..

• 3 weeks later...
SSR Team

#Sasquatch - Interesting to note that after establishing last year that all 9 reports in the database from AZ in the month of August from the last 10 years originate in Coconino County, we find that overall the County represents 40% of all AZ reports (15 total counties in the State) and is also the County that receives the most precipitation throughout the course of a year.

Coconino County is home to both the Coconino National Forest and the Kaibab National Forest,in which we have reports recorded from both the North (which includes the Grand Canyon Forest Preserve) and Southern parts of the Kaibab.

It should also be note that the Northern Part of the Kaibab National Forest also receives over 20 inches of rain per year on average, and over 100 inches of snow too.

-----

#Sasquatch #Texas - Is there any love out there for Texas, and specifically a little pocket of Texas down near Houston that go by the names of Liberty, Polk, Tyler, Houston, Montgomery, San Jacinto and Walker Counties ? ;)

Combining these seven East Texas Counties, we have a total of 65 reports now locked and loaded in the database. Here's some numbers on them below.

17% of all reports come in hours of darkness.
68% of all reports come from nights where the moon is visible, with the Waxing Gibbous and Full Moon Phases making up 58% of those alone.
Reports are pretty much spread well across the seasons but Spring leads the way making up 29% of all reports, with every single night report in Spring coming when the moon is visible.
60% of all reports are actual visual sightings.
55% of those reports come on nights when the moon is NOT visible, which includes all night sightings in the past 12 years.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Bobby, 

Thought I’d read through this thread and see how data from New Hampshire, Maine, and eastern Canada (126 possible encounters reported) stacked up against some of the SSR stats.  Of course, the SSR and my database use different things, so there are some “apples-to-oranges” comparisons here.

I first looked at moon phase data.  32 encounters, or roughly 25% of the total, provided either a definite description of the moon phase or enough information to determine same. I’ve now divided up each lunar cycle into 10 periods three days in length (for those who need to visualize this, see a lunar calendar for October 2016, which started and ended on a new moon).  These 32 encounters occurred:

3          - the night of the new moon, + 2 nights after the new moon

7          - waxing crescent moon (3-5 nights after the new moon)

2          - waxing gibbous moon (9-11 nights after the new moon)

4          - the last three days before the full moon

4          - the night of the full moon and two nights afterwards

3          - Nights 3-5 after the full moon

3          - Two nights before, and the night of, the quarter moon

4          - three nights after the waning quarter moon

2          - the last three nights before the next new moon.

I did not realize this until just now, but fully 50% of encounters where the moon phase can be identified occurred on the darkest 12 nights of the lunar cycle. 

42 encounters involved some type of vocalization; of these, 22 (or just over ½) involved an encounter where the witness heard something, but did not see anything.  Of those 22 encounters, only 6 are from the fall; the easy majority (9) are from the summer months.  However, 18 of 22, or 82%, are during dusk through dawn.

Just going across the board for this area (not breaking it out seasonally), 36 (or 29%) of the encounters occurred when the witness was traveling (driving, walking, biking) in some way along a road.  These encounters are split 50/50 between daylight hours and dusk-dawn. 

I’ll look at, and add, some more stats later.    

Edited by Trogluddite
To pretty up the formatting some (and some more).
  • Upvote 2

The SSR’s Ohio color data (1st column) with my NH/ME/eastern Canada color data (2nd column)

Ohio                        NH/ME/Can (east)

Total               141           Total   126

White/Grey/Yellow     18 (13%)               7 (5.5%)(Gray only)
Black                 21 (15%)              18 (14%)

Brown                 35 (25%)              10 (8%)
Dark Brown            14 (10%)               7 (5.5%)
“Dark”                19 (13%)               8 (6.5%)
Cinnamon               3 ( 2%)               3 (2.5%)
No color provided     31 (22%)              73 (58%)

• Upvote 2

Admin

^^^  Good thinking Trog,  

The same stats removing the "No Color Provided" (NCP) totals:

Ohio                        NH/ME/Can (east)

Total               110 (141 - 31 NCP)        Total   53  (126 - 73 NCP)

White/Grey/Yellow     18 (16%)               7 (13%)(Gray only)
Black                 21 (19%)              18 (33%)

Brown                 35 (31%)              10 (18%)
Dark Brown            14 (12%)               7 (13%)
“Dark”                19 (17%)               8 (15%)
Cinnamon               3 ( 2%)               3 (5%)

No color provided     31                      73

--------------

So they're more brownish, lighter color in Ohio?

• Upvote 1

SSR Team

Good stuff as always Trog, thank you for sharing.

The White/Grey/Yellow have always intrigued me, i in no way think we're talking albino here but i do wonder if we'd be talking about, as in Humans, if it's an age thing possibly ?

I've read reports of little ones being light in colour, and ones that the witness believed to be older animals too.