What Is It?

Airdale

Are you positive on that, Norseman? These aphids are prevalent in Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California, but may occur elsewhere, where the climate is suitable. Their habitat is the Hackberry tree. The photo shows needles from coniferous trees. Being a broad-leaf deciduous tree, the Hackberry would not have any leaves on it yet (early spring), therefore the eggs of the aphid would still be overwintering on the branches; they would not have hatched into larvae. Freezing weather at night would kill them. Summer aphids produce a clear, sticky honeydew that coats everything below the host tree. Whatever that is in the picture, it doesn't look at all like clear, sticky honeydew. Perhaps Airdale could check the tree's branches for clusters of aphid eggs? It may indeed be aphids, but I don't think it's this particular one that you referenced (Asian Hackberry Aphid).

Most of the above comes from this site:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/18904

BFF Patron

I plainly see ice crystals on the boot in the picture and Airdale mentioned that Linda had walked over 200 feet of snow covered ground to get down to the creek.    Would aphids be active at temperatures that had at least recently been below freezing?   Hardy little buggers if they are.   Of course if the deposit is waxy then it could have been deposited before the snow happened and melted away.   

The airplane blue water solution reminds me of my second officer training.   I was being followed around on the aircraft walk around by the instructor.    He asked how I could tell what a puddle of stuff on the ramp was.     Said on asphalt you could not see the blue tinge of lav water.   My response was that a good second officer probably tastes it.  At least he thought that funny.  

What is on her boot is not related to what is on the ground. And yes it’s most likely winter kill.

Blue ice is unlikely as the deposit was within inches of the tree which is probably a century or more old, growing from the slope of a 20+ foot deep ravine and surrounded by thick undergrowth (see photo). Little snow even makes it in there.IMG_20170808_140057.jpg

Some species of birds will pick up brightly colored items and then drop them while roosting.  Two years ago, during the months of March and April, starlings carried 13 of those square, blue rat poison blocks that are supposed to be secured inside bait stations, into our yard.  It totaled out at over half a pound of rat poison.  And that was only the blocks that I found.  We were devoid of squirrels that year, so I'm sure there were more I never saw.  I'm sure the yahoo that scattered them out on his property must have been amazed at how fast they were "consumed".

That said, I have no idea what's in your photo, but it could be something the birds brought in from somewhere else.  It reminds me a bit of the blue detergent blocks that go in the dishwasher, but I'm not sure they would break up like that when hydrated.