Squatchin' Vehicle

Talmadge Mooseman

On 5/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, Talmadge Mooseman said:

I'm driving a front-wheel drive car right now, and as I get more into this research thing I realize I need a better vehicle for navigating rugged terrain.

I don't really care if it is an SUV, pickup or other, but any suggestions?  I don't want a real big vehicle, but big enough to lie down in (I'm 6'2").  Thanks.

Any 4x4 truck with a 3-4" lift on 33's would be a good option if you dont mind sleeping in the bed.

I've got an '06 Wrangler on a 3" lift on 33's.  The short wheelbase and small lift makes it pretty capable and its got a tight turning radius although I cant lay down in it. 

• gigantor featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that a HEMTT, when I was at Fort Hood, we would see these things screaming down this dirt road that we were standing guard on in the middle of the night with no lights.  After a couple of nights of this I asked, how is it they can race down the road that fast with no lights. Night Vision, I was so jealous.

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Pdub said:

Just saw this beast online, didn’t see it mentioned anywhere. Little out of my price range, don’t think the misses would want to sell the house and swap for this...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/patagonia-is-dollar465k-of-off-road-camping-goodness/ar-BBV6DS7?li=BBnb7Kz#image=BBV6DS4|1

Cab overs? Beat the puddin out of you! Best not to sit over the steer axle! 

They DO turn tight!

BFF Patron

Most of their large vehicles would not be able to traverse places where I normally go.    Roads too narrow or in such bad shape they could not navigate the roads.   I have thought about getting an old Hertz box moving truck and converting it.     I converted a van once and it is a lot of work but can save you a lot of money doing it yourself.  

Edited by SWWASAS

I love my Toyota RAV. Great 4wd, right turning radius but kinda small. I need a rack or box on top. My dog doesn't like riding on the back seat.

I would lean toward a maneuverable vehicle over size as well.  I love gigantor's Jeep which is the quintessential off-road vehicle. Another one I love, which is no longer made, is the Toyota FJ Cruiser.  I settled for a Outback which will get me where I need to go 99% of the time. Had skid plates put on but they're not heavy duty like you see on a Jeep.

There areas I go off-road with my Outback are narrow, deep ruts in the jeep trail, and very narrow. A large vehicle would have a tough time.

Insert other media

I am going to shoot a video of my SUV's cabin layout for car camping/ research.   I will film this weekend and likely post next Sunday, don't have my 07 Vitara 4X4 up in the air yet ( money matters ) but it is in the plan. 

3 hours ago, NathanFooter said:

Good rig, if you can afford to make research twice as expensive ( those things will chug your paycheck in no time flat ).

Definitely not fuel efficient. But you can buy a lot of gas for a 9500 dollar rig versus a new rig (40-80k) that may or may not be as dependable......

Not a lot to go wrong with naturally aspirated V8’s and solid axles.

• Upvote 1