BFF Census Poll

gigantor

Poll: BFF Census  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, gigantor said:

You're not living Pat, charcoal is where its at...

BTW, although there are a lot of members yet to vote, we need to explain why 70% of our members are 50 or older.  Why don't we have younger members?

Any ideas?

They were not alive when Patterson made his awesome film 

• Upvote 1

^^^^ What MIB said.

I suspect sporting goods stores to be hurting now and in the future.  Time in the field is a huge factor.  Always go with the old guys because we know stuff. Out technologies span analog to digital. Many of us are R.E.D. : Retired, Extremely Diabolical.

We gravitate towards the BFF for the standard large print version.

Young people have been completely brainwashed into rejecting guns, even for valid and justified self defense. Thus, searching for “monsters” is very dangerous and simply ridiculous. That’s for “the professionals”, who have ignored the subject in favor of deep pocket science like climate change and chasing little green men.......or covered it up so government doesn’t have to recognize another class of people who would certainly not like them.

Admin

I agree with all points made so far. But I think there is one missing:

Content.  It looks like we have serious people here. Researchers, witnesses, proponents, skeptics, etc. The subjects being discussed are "hard core" nuts and bolts. I can see how a greenhorn would be intimidated or bored (too lazy to figure out the basics) and decide not to join the BFF.

Maybe we need some basic information for newbies. Like a PGF/Patty 101 Blog targeted at people who know nothing about it. A Tracking 101 Blog, a Fieldcraft 101, a Camping 101, a Trail Cam 101, etc.

We could have our local experts on the subject write one blog each. For example, PBeaton and BacDoc write a PGF 101 blog post. They know everything about it. Huntster write a fieldcraft 101, etc

Admin
8 minutes ago, Huntster said:

... I guess I’m just good for long posts at best.

That's all a blog is...   but explaining the subject to newbies.

2 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

They were not alive when Patterson made his awesome film 

I think this hits on the right point.  With nothing new in the BF field that is shiny to look at, such as the PGF, there is not much to attract the millennials. 

What work has has been done in the field recently is not exciting enough to garner much excitement to the average person.   The PGF is way to old and grainy to excite many millennials.  

#3 was a bit tricky for me to answer, There really isn't anything in the poll for trades, other than construction, and my trade, machinist, doesn't fit anywhere else in the list.

• Upvote 1

Admin
11 minutes ago, cmknight said:

#3 was a bit tricky for me to answer, There really isn't anything in the poll for trades, other than construction, and my trade, machinist, doesn't fit anywhere else in the list.

Sorry about that!  I will include it next year.

I’ve been a charcoal guy for 12 years. Don’t even buy it anymore — I make my own coals straight from the woodpile.

Also, Gigantor , feel free to change my vote from skeptic to denier. 

Last I checked scofftic was not a permitted forum term, unless I get to use ’bleever’ again without reprocussion lol ;)

Edited by Squatchy McSquatch

Admin
18 minutes ago, Squatchy McSquatch said:

Also, Gigantor , feel free to change my vote from skeptic to denier.

Done. Thanks for participating.

A bunch of old fogies trying to tell us younger folks why no young people are interested.

:D

But honestly, I don't know the answer. I find the possibility fascinating but even my closest friends think I'm a joke when the possibility of existence comes up. 

• Upvote 3

SSR Team
11 hours ago, gigantor said:

You're not living Pat, charcoal is where its at...

BTW, although there are a lot of members yet to vote, we need to explain why 70% of our members are 50 or older.  Why don't we have younger members?

Any ideas?

We've got 2k plus people on the Squatchermetrics FB Page, it's at 68% over the age of 45, fyi.

PS : Charcoal and 31-40 for me..;)

Younger people of today don’t have very much going on at all that the cell phone won’t show them. Along with less outdoor activity, the trades have a huge shortage of young people. Face it, this younger generation is nothing but lazy, self entitled and not self starting in anything. We’ll be wiping their asses for many years to come. 

• gigantor locked this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor locked and unpinned this topic