My Perspective and questions for you all

James33

28 minutes ago, norseman said:

Maybe they are not even real people at all? 

Oh I don't know, this guy looks pretty real to me:

Tom Prychitko, Ph.D:
"Dr. Tom Prychitko received both his master’s and doctorate degrees from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Tom is a molecular biologist with a background that also includes evolutionary biology, microbiology and biochemistry. He has worked extensively in academia and has been involved with a number of biological research programs throughout his career from which he has published several manuscripts. Tom has long had an interest in cryptozoology and has been intrigued by the possibility that creatures long described in myth and legend may in reality actually exist. No stranger to Sasquatch research, he conducted DNA testing on samples from the Carter Farm and elsewhere several years ago, resulting in haplotype data included in the SGP. A firm believer that science has no boundaries, Tom believes that we have only scratched the surface on what we can possibly learn and discover. Tom is currently laboratory director at Helix Biological Laboratory, a biological testing firm he established in 2009. He also is an adjunct instructor for the Department of Biological Sciences at Wayne State University."

And this guy seems pretty legit:

Fan Zhang, Ph.D.
"Dr. Zhang is a Bioinformatician at the Department of Academic and Institutional Resources and Technology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas. His areas of expertise include: Next Generation Sequencing, Genome-wide association studies, Proteomics, Pathway Analysis and Functional Analysis, Cancer Epidemiology, Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology."

Edited by hiflier

7 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If they can do that, sasquatch DNA shouldn’t come back as “human” that can be mistaken for Homo sapien. Ketchum’s claim was interbreeding with Homo sapiens just like the claims about Denisovans that you cite. So what was it specifically that made Ketchum’s claims false? Please be specific.

Watch the video. She doesnt even have HALF a human sequence. Its a single chromosome. Plus other unrelated animals. Her DNA test makes absolutely no sense to anyone in science. Its not a genome....therefore its not an undiscovered animal.

5 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Oh I don't know, this guy looks pretty real to me:

Tom Prychitko, Ph.D:
"Dr. Tom Prychitko received both his master’s and doctorate degrees from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Tom is a molecular biologist with a background that also includes evolutionary biology, microbiology and biochemistry. He has worked extensively in academia and has been involved with a number of biological research programs throughout his career from which he has published several manuscripts. Tom has long had an interest in cryptozoology and has been intrigued by the possibility that creatures long described in myth and legend may in reality actually exist. No stranger to Sasquatch research, he conducted DNA testing on samples from the Carter Farm and elsewhere several years ago, resulting in haplotype data included in the SGP. A firm believer that science has no boundaries, Tom believes that we have only scratched the surface on what we can possibly learn and discover. Tom is currently laboratory director at Helix Biological Laboratory, a biological testing firm he established in 2009. He also is an adjunct instructor for the Department of Biological Sciences at Wayne State University."

And this guy seems pretty legit:

Fan Zhang, Ph.D.
"Dr. Zhang is a Bioinformatician at the Department of Academic and Institutional Resources and Technology, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, Texas. His areas of expertise include: Next Generation Sequencing, Genome-wide association studies, Proteomics, Pathway Analysis and Functional Analysis, Cancer Epidemiology, Molecular and Genetic Epidemiology."

Go interview them and ask them if they have worked with Melba Ketchum and what do they think of her study? Your simply pulling this info off of her website Hiflier....

14 minutes ago, Twist said:

I’m wondering what being tattooed and mohawked has anything to do with this discussion??? 

Todd Disotell has been very critical of Ketchum’s work. So Im guessing Hiflier doesnt like him?

If the samples were sent blind to several labs, and if they came back screwed up, why is this Ketchum’s failure? 

Have these labs been put to the test?

What am I missing here?

14 minutes ago, norseman said:

Todd Disotell has been very critical of Ketchum’s work. So Im guessing Hiflier doesnt like him?

I get that, I’m just wondering where his tattoos or Mohawk come into play.  Asking as a tattooed and ex-Mohawk sporter lol.   

20 minutes ago, Huntster said:

If the samples were sent blind to several labs, and if they came back screwed up, why is this Ketchum’s failure? 

Have these labs been put to the test?

What am I missing here?

Watch the two videos I posted. A major major part of Ketchums study failure isnt the DNA itself.

Its how its assembled into a “genome” and interpreted. Which cannot be blamed on anyone but Ketchum.

53 minutes ago, norseman said:

You 'guess' wrong. I like the Dr. Disotell. I just see his chosen 'look' as potential fuel for the naysayers. Hunster, Ketchum is a failure because she was the most in the public eye and because her assessments of the data were flawed. Norseman and eye went round and round about a year ago on whether or not there was any intentional deception on her part to defraud investors and intentionally scam the public. My assessment which my not mean a hill of beans to Norseman, is that she just wasn't up on the science enough to see that what she was summarizing from the data was based on incomplete data.

I am not a geneticist, I have to go with the assessments of those who are. Dr. Hart's assessment of the data is more than likely correct. The Sasquatch Genome Project was a failure on several levels. I do not think to this day that Dr. Ketchum knew enough to know it was a failure and so I hold to the opinion that she did not intentionally set out to commit fraud. Gross mistakes were made, yes, the data was incomplete so assessments were by default flawed. Intentional fraud? I don't think she knew enough about genetics or the deeper processes to say it was. My opinion.

14 minutes ago, norseman said:

Its how its assembled into a “genome” and interpreted. Which cannot be blamed on anyone but Ketchum.

Correct. And I'll bet she is the ONLY one to have ever made such a mistake? academically she was not in a position to be educated enough to make that interpretation. She was wrong. Again though, intentional? I say ignorant of the science and therefore ignorant and so subjectively saw what she wanted to see. But I am not vehemently angry about it. And I don't think she set out to scam anyone because, flawed or not, I  think she truly believed what she was looking at was Sasquatch evidence. 

Edited by hiflier

3 minutes ago, norseman said:

Watch the two videos I posted. A major major part of Ketchums study failure isnt the DNA itself.

Exactly.   

The choice of extraction/replication methodologies were too harsh and broke the DNA segments into fragments too small to normally be useful.    Basically what you do with segments is look for segments that are long enough that, when laid side by side (by computer), they match with high reliability.   This doesn't work with shorter segments.   Ketchum reported matching strings as short as 300 base pairs, far too short for conventional methods.   To get around this, Ketchum used a new / novel "next generation" sequencer which is supposed to reliably assemble the shorter fragments into a coherent whole.    This seems to have failed leading to the "angel DNA" comments ... essentially something that looked like a mix of primate, common mammals, various birds, and virus segments.    Ketchum claims high accuracy/repeatability but the outcome seems to belie her claims.

Unfortunately, the extraction / replication processes destroy the original sample so none of the samples provided to Ketchum can be retested unless the person providing the samples held some back.   This is why Ketchum's request, which Justin Smeja recorded and is, or was, available to listen to, for him to destroy the rest of his "steak" sample with bleach, etc to degrade the remaining DNA in the sample to an untestable level is particularly damning.    Never mind that when retested independently it came up as black bear, exactly what should have been found at the kill site since it was a location used by hunters to gut and skin their game before returning to town.  

MIB

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MIB said:

Exactly.   

The choice of extraction/replication methodologies were too harsh and broke the DNA segments into fragments too small to normally be useful.    Basically what you do with segments is look for segments that are long enough that, when laid side by side (by computer), they match with high reliability.   This doesn't work with shorter segments.   Ketchum reported matching strings as short as 300 base pairs, far too short for conventional methods.   To get around this, Ketchum used a new / novel "next generation" sequencer which is supposed to reliably assemble the shorter fragments into a coherent whole.    This seems to have failed leading to the "angel DNA" comments ... essentially something that looked like a mix of primate, common mammals, various birds, and virus segments.    Ketchum claims high accuracy/repeatability but the outcome seems to belie her claims.

Unfortunately, the extraction / replication processes destroy the original sample so none of the samples provided to Ketchum can be retested unless the person providing the samples held some back.   This is why Ketchum's request, which Justin Smeja recorded and is, or was, available to listen to, for him to destroy the rest of his "steak" sample with bleach, etc to degrade the remaining DNA in the sample to an untestable level is particularly damning.    Never mind that when retested independently it came up as black bear, exactly what should have been found at the kill site since it was a location used by hunters to gut and skin their game before returning to town.  

MIB

The very core tenet of science is observable, repeatable results. If I make a claim that I found a new species of plant at coordinates x,y and z? Then any other person should be able to go to that spot and see the new plant for themselves. Probably a bad analogy on my part. But for Ketchum to ask Smeja to destroy the rest of the sample? Is NOT science.... it’s something else.

Where do most of these “samples” come from?  I think there is a high probability of human contamination with many samples. How many people are out there researching with full sterile gear on? Are they wearing nitrile gloves, sterile tweezers etc? I’m an RN at a large, well respected hospital. I couldn’t count the number of times over the years that I’ve had to recollect samples from patients due to lab errors or contamination. True, fully sterile technique is a real pain the behind to accomplish. 

I don’t know if there is a vast conspiracy suppressing Sasquatch DNA.  Just based on the PGF, which I believe to be real, there’s no way it can test as human with current technology.

A little tidbit I’d like to share...my mother was adopted and until very recently we didn’t know anything about her family. My wife wanted me to get 23&Me genetic health testing done because my father died young (57), he played college basketball and was still in great shape for his age but died in his sleep. Since we didn’t have anything on my moms history she thought it would be nice to know. Long story but somehow from a little tube of spit there were able to tell me that I had 295 Neanderthal gene variants. This put me in high end of people tested. Very fascinating info they are able to give from a small amount of spit. 

6 minutes ago, Pdub said:

Long story but somehow from a little tube of spit there were able to tell me that I had 295 Neanderthal gene variants. This put me in high end of people tested. Very fascinating info they are able to give from a small amount of spit. 

+

Ahh, that explains your emoji:}

Edited by NCBFr

37 minutes ago, hiflier said:

You 'guess' wrong. I like the Dr. Disotell. I just see his chosen 'look' as potential fuel for the naysayers. Hunster, Ketchum is a failure because she was the most in the public eye and because her assessments of the data were flawed. Norseman and eye went round and round about a year ago on whether or not there was any intentional deception on her part to defraud investors and intentionally scam the public. My assessment which my not mean a hill of beans to Norseman, is that she just wasn't up on the science enough to see that what she was summarizing from the data was based on incomplete data.

I am not a geneticist, I have to go with the assessments of those who are. Dr. Hart's assessment of the data is more than likely correct. The Sasquatch Genome Project was a failure on several levels. I do not think to this day that Dr. Ketchum knew enough to know it was a failure and so I hold to the opinion that she did not intentionally set out to commit fraud. Gross mistakes were made, yes, the data was incomplete so assessments were by default flawed. Intentional fraud? I don't think she knew enough about genetics or the deeper processes to say it was. My opinion.

Correct. And I'll bet she is the ONLY one to have ever made such a mistake? academically she was not in a position to be educated enough to make that interpretation. She was wrong. Again though, intentional? I say ignorant of the science and therefore ignorant and so subjectively saw what she wanted to see. But I am not vehemently angry about it. And I don't think she set out to scam anyone because, flawed or not, I  think she truly believed what she was looking at was Sasquatch evidence. 

Sure, but thats why science has a peer review process.....that Ketchum choose to ignore and circumvent. And instead started her own DeNovo website and then charged people to look at the “results”. And this is keeping the Matilda debacle out of the discussion, which in reality is a huge part of the fraud.

Lets put it this way....if Ketchum was JUST a scientist that happened to be WRONG? Hiflier would have never heard about her or her work. Science would have cut her off at the pass when she attempted to get her results published.

Melba Ketchum is not  a “ignorant” scientist. She is NOT a scientist at all. She was very calculating in her unscientific approach to display her DNA results. Which gained her stardom and notoriety but destroyed her credibility.

She is a showman, no different than Rick Dyer...its just a different approach. Instead of a big game hunter and tracker.....her persona was that of a lab coat scientist trying to buck academia.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Pdub said:

Where do most of these “samples” come from?  I think there is a high probability of human contamination with many samples. How many people are out there researching with full sterile gear on? Are they wearing nitrile gloves, sterile tweezers etc? I’m an RN at a large, well respected hospital. I couldn’t count the number of times over the years that I’ve had to recollect samples from patients due to lab errors or contamination. True, fully sterile technique is a real pain the behind to accomplish. 

I don’t know if there is a vast conspiracy suppressing Sasquatch DNA.  Just based on the PGF, which I believe to be real, there’s no way it can test as human with current technology.

A little tidbit I’d like to share...my mother was adopted and until very recently we didn’t know anything about her family. My wife wanted me to get 23&Me genetic health testing done because my father died young (57), he played college basketball and was still in great shape for his age but died in his sleep. Since we didn’t have anything on my moms history she thought it would be nice to know. Long story but somehow from a little tube of spit there were able to tell me that I had 295 Neanderthal gene variants. This put me in high end of people tested. Very fascinating info they are able to give from a small amount of spit. 

Congrats on yer results! From one caveman to another! ;)

As far as conspiracies? I know for a fact watching US Fish and game and state wildlife biologists that its political. Wolves, Grizzly bears, hound hunting, etc.... They will tweak the facts to fit their agenda. Absolutely.

Unfortunately in the case of Melba Ketchum it was all smoke and mirrors. And had nothing to do with conspiracy other than duping the American public.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic