Sign in to follow this  
hiflier

Zombie Deer Disease and Bigfoot

starchunk
1 hour ago, bipedalist said:

Stay away from eating snails and slugs likely source of transmission to white-tailed deer, it is interesting to think of the connoiseur BF and need for l'escargot in this case of culinary crud.  A brain worm parasite sounds like an ugly way to go in those cases.  The persistence of the organism and its ubiquitous nature is very troubling and would hope BF loses the bib on snails and slugs.  Hoping Les Stroud, Bear Grylis et al don't encourage the consumption of such.  

Never been big on Escargot, no issues there.

Catmandoo

Oh no, this cuts into my banana slug cuisine.  We have big juicy yummy  banana slugs in western Washington.

Researchers have been looking into the human risk factor with CWD.  One example:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Chronic+wasting+disease+of+elk%3A+transmissibility+to+humans+examined+by+transgenic+mouse+models.

They have initial work to theorise a 'species barrier' that prevents 'humans' from contracting CWD from ungulates.   Is this 'species barrier' a new twist to lump Sasquatch into the 'human'  category if they are resistant / immune to ungulate CWD?

The CDC has not forgotten the hunters. More work is needed.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

CallyCat
On 10/8/2019 at 7:09 PM, hiflier said:

After looking at the map in this article I began to wonder if Bigfoot preying on deer or other ungulates in winter in those areas would be at risk for the disease. If they exist in say Colorado then my sense tells me that they would indeed be at risk. Humans too since cooking the meat of an affected deer doesn't reduce the risk in the slightest since if I remember correctly it takes extremely high temperatures, far above boiling even, to kill prions?:

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/occurrence.html

That's assuming that these prions could jump species, or that the gastric juices wouldn't destroy them, the ability to be absorbed through the GI tract would also affect bigfoot's susceptibility. I believe if bigfoot is out there, he has a pretty descent immune system in order for him to survive in general, otherwise, eating people's trash would have wiped them out a long time ago. 

Edited by CallyCat

Sign in to follow this