Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

General, Derek, or anybody do you have a theory as to why the bigfoot was moving towards the truck with it's arms in the air? I think I've heard people say it was probably protecting the kids, but wasn't it about 100 yards away? Why wouldn't it just hide or run? It seems very strange and I can't really figure out what it was thinking, but I'm very curious.

Has it never seen a human or vehicle and thought it was some sort of animal so it was scaring it away? It still seems like it would just hide because a vehicle would be a pretty large animal. 100 yards is a long ways away too. This particular bigfoot obviously didn't get the memo that humans have guns and you should stay away from them.

This to me is one of the most puzzling things about the whole story because it seems very out of character and wouldn't even make since for any animal to do at 100 yards away.

Could she have been trying to get and keep the two humans attention while the youngsters left the area?

Guest wtwest

Could she have been trying to get and keep the two humans attention while the youngsters left the area?

Doesn't seem like the MO of a bigfoot. If she really was 80+ yards away, she and the little ones could have gotten away easily from two men in a truck.

I know you guys that are familiar with weapons have mentioned that before. What motive would a hunter have for making something like that up if it seems unlikely? I'm not clear where the children were exactly. I know the General said he didn't initially see them. Were the kids in the same meadow as the adult or did they come from across the dirt road? Maybe the adult was signaling to the kids and not the General.

That just doesn't make sense to me because it was so far away. I thought he said it was about 100 yards and that is a long ways away. It's possible that the kids were up where the vehicle was and the mother was a long ways away from them, but if that was the case I would think she would be running very fast in that direction instead of just walking that way.

I wonder when the general first saw them what direction the kids were coming from and if he heard any noises close to him after the first shot.

General, can I ask what your thoughts are on this subject? Thanks.

I know you guys that are familiar with weapons have mentioned that before. What motive would a hunter have for making something like that up if it seems unlikely? I'm not clear where the children were exactly. I know the General said he didn't initially see them. Were the kids in the same meadow as the adult or did they come from across the dirt road? Maybe the adult was signaling to the kids and not the General.

The way I understood it, General shot the adult in a moment of foggy uncertainty about the "monster" he saw before him. Only afterwards, after the panic had set in over what had happened, did the two juveniles make themselves known, and they did it by surrounding him while communicating with each other. This spanned over about 20 minutes or so, until one finally got too close and General shot it.

I DON'T think it was just shoot the adult/juvenile runs close/shoot the juvenile. It was a long and sustained terrifying episode, one in which the fear of dad showing up at any moment was surely looming. Even though I'd like to think I would have the presence of mind to bring the juvenile with me, I think in the moment I would be too scared of being caught carrying the kid's body off by an adult male.

Thanks NGJ, but I'm trying to figure out if the adult was warning the kids and not necessarily the General. Were the kids closer to the road in the meadow, or on the other side of the road? Was there a drop off on one side of the road that was the meadow with a rise on the other side where the kid climbed up on?

Thanks NGJ, but I'm trying to figure out if the adult was warning the kids and not necessarily the General. Were the kids closer to the road in the meadow, or on the other side of the road? Was there a drop off on one side of the road that was the meadow with a rise on the other side where the kid climbed up on?

Oh, good question. I would like to know this too, but I don't know how we could ever know if he didn't even know of their presence until after the adult was shot. It does kind of make it more sad when you consider that she might have been warning the kids :(

Guest Cervelo

That's what's always and still does bother me about this story. IMO if I'm standing next to my truck with my hunting partner and a high powered rifle (kinda in this case) in my hands there is only one thing I and most hunters would be afraid of and that's another hunter anything else is not going to get close unless you want it to. I might stand there in amazement until it got to close but send a round down range center mass at that distance and at an upright figure with its arms up is almost inconceivable in my mind unless you knew exactly what you are shooting at but thats just me and my opinion, which we can still express right?

Yes you can, and you did it respectfully, just don't get into character assassination or anything like that. I think Derek has had enough discussion of the ethics part, I'm just trying to work out the logistics part in my mind of where everyone was at and how the lay of the land was. I'm getting a mental map.

Guest Cervelo

Yes you can, and you did it respectfully, just don't get into character assassination or anything like that. I think Derek has had enough discussion of the ethics part, I'm just trying to work out the logistics part in my mind of where everyone was at and how the lay of the land was. I'm getting a mental map.

It's not really a ethics issue or a character issue. One of the first things you are taught in any sort of weapons training is target identification. If there is any question you don't shoot as a rule. A hunter with abundant experience and expertise is most unlikley to shoot without the proper target identification.

Be that as it may be, people make mistakes. I think I would have shot it too but you never really know until you are in the situation.

• Upvote 1

According to General/Derek there will be detailed info about the shooting in the book they are writing. I'm hoping/assuming this means multiple diagrams of the who was where at each significant part of the story.

I assume so, just thinking out loud tonight and what I picture in my mind looks like the meadow in the Sound of Music, only instead of Julie Andrews standing there with her arms up over her head it's a dirty gray Sasquatch. I know that isn't right.

Guest PaulGT3

I appreciate the welcomes. I hope you all have patience with me while I get used to this new scientific community. I am used to good guys and bad guys and this is much more

grey area than I am used to.

I figured out Robert Lindsay is probably a shrill for some other subjective force in this study. I look forward to the data release. I wish there was someway to release drones over the

areas at nite and fly a waypoint pattern with IR cameras and see the BIG animal traffic patterns.

Paul GT3