Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest Strick

Again, the armchair QB'ing is pretty hard to take. How can we possibly pretend to know what the appropriate action would have been to take?

My thoughts exactly.

I think those of us who have been around this subject for a while whether pro-kill, or like me, otherwise, deep down knew that there was only one way this thing was gonna end - and that was down the barrel of a gun.

I'm not one of those who have seen a Bigfoot and are content to let them be doing their own thing in the woods. I've always been on the skeptical side and I need closure. There are only two options available here: either the General is a liar who has taken in a large number of people, a distinct possibility, or his story is true. At the moment I am working on the second supposition because I want to glean as much information as possible. I don't think the General will be offended by my statement because I think he's the kind of guy who would have disbelieved someone with a story like his this time last year, if you catch my drift. :huh:

Personally, I see no contradiction between giving the General a free pass, all the kudos of discovery and the opportunity to make money on his story while, simultaneously, drafting legislation to make sure that the second person who kills a Bigfoot goes down on a 15 year mandatory sentence. Am I wrong? :wacko:

I think we need to wait until we know what a bigfoot is....unless that is a typical sentence for shooting big game out of season.

Guest General

Hey General- here's a question- when you write your book, are you going to provide illustrations? Like pictures done by an artist to your specifications? I can't get my head around yours (or anyone else's) description of the juveniles. Just isn't computing.

Tim B.

I think it would be worthless without a ot of pictures. I'm not much of a reader or writer myself

I think it would be worthless without a ot of pictures. I'm not much of a reader or writer myself

You could work with an artist though. And HEY- I'm a writer-wannabe...

Tim B.

Guest General

Everyone wants to act like this is all about money. If there is money to be made doing this I haven't seen any of it yet.

I know there is lots of money being spent on this. Who's on the recieving end is anybodys guess.

Stricks comments are more then fair. Jodie, if we can't convict someone for killing their own baby good luck on gettin 15 years for killing a bigfoot. Ya know?

I'm just wondering, surely this isn't covered by an NDA, but did you have to pull over and vomit on your way down the mountain?

Guest Strick

I think we need to wait until we know what a bigfoot is....unless that is a typical sentence for shooting big game out of season.

I think you are completely correct - too many people are just assuming that the BF is in the hominid line when this is far from established. Indeed, early reports might even be pointing towards the opposite conclusion.... Truth is, I was concerned I might be coming across as a bit of a hard-ass, while more delicate types run around screamng: murderer, murderer :unsure:

To clarify,I'm not in any way in favour of killing highly evolved and extremely rare primates. But the first (two) Bigfoots are an exception. I would have said the same for the early explorer who shot the first Mountain Gorilla, which also ticked most of the boxes in the monster check-list. These days, however, Mountain Gorillas are completely protected and their poachers are generally shot on sight by the authorities in the countries in which they occur. C'est le Vie.

I have no difficulty at all in supporting the strongest possible legislation to protect these people/animals in the future and the lands they inhabit. And no, I don't necessarily think that a long jail term is too much for killing an ape, if that is what they turn out to be.

Call me old-fashioned, but I suppose I want to approach this debate from a logical/scientific angle rather than an emotional/hysterical one. B)

Well I would have been hysterical after the fact if placed in the same situation regardless of what bigfoot turns out to be. The book will make a great movie if it gets that far.

Guest General

General, how is your wife handling all of this? Did you tell her about it, right after it happened?

She's less then thrilled with the amount of time I spend returning phone calls and emails. She was with me when we found some tracks about a month ago. She's always known they were real. We just never talked about it till well till several days after it happened. We don't talk about it much she hears plenty about it from often being in the same room when I'm taking phone calls. What does she think about it? She thinks I spend too much time on this stuff and have been for the last 9 months. She thinks the same thing about huntin and fishin tho. We have a great marriage. She wants to "hang out" like all the time. It gets old

Guest General

I'm just wondering, surely this isn't covered by an NDA, but did you have to pull over and vomit on your way down the mountain?

Ya know what? I didn't. That's weird I never thought of that. Both of us didn't. I remember once throughing up when a wounded buck got away. I guess I shouldn't admit that

A little levity here but you've only been married 2 years so the new hasn't wore off you yet. Take it from a lady who has been married 44 years the new will wear off you and she won't want to "hang out" very darn much. I can understand the situation you found yourself in and I wouldn't dream of judging you. Like you if some good in the form of species recognition can occur because of this situation then certainly you have tried very hard to make the best of a tenuous situation. The flee or fight response is always an emotional response overloaded with fear and confusion. I get it entirely and most times leave a person second guessing what they did or did not do. Entirely normal and at best or worst we're all only human. Best wishes.

General, thanks for sharing some of the details!

Some questions:

Do you think they are meat eaters?

How fast did they move?

Guest HairyGreek

NGJ,

No spin at all, with all due respect. Have you ever killed something with a gun? Defend him if you will. But having hunted all my life I find this scenario at best improbably from an experienced hunter, with a spotter no less. At worst one of the most irresponsible hunting shots that never should have been taken. How could anyone be sure it was not some idiot in a suit? You shoot while your spotter is saying not to? IMO let's hope he really did kill biggie and that he's given up hunting! Anyone who takes this shot while his spotter is saying not to is a danger to anyone within his range and should never handle a weapon again IMO.I don't buy the he was afraid BS all he had to do was get back in the truck and leave. If this creature (or person) was 80 yards away it was no threat to them.

With all due respect, Cervelo, regardless of your hunting record you have never seen an actual Sasquatch. You and I can only go off of what people have see in eyewitness accounts. What they have seen is something that not only frightens them and changes their whole lives, it also seems to be very apparent that they are not seeing an "idiot in a suit". I am sure some of our members who have been close to the animals in daylight sightings will tell you they knew this was no bear or person. So did the shooter. You simply cannot know what your first instinct would be in that situation since you categorically have not seen an actual live Sasquatch moving in or around your direction. JMO.