Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

It must be hard to wrap your head around the fact that you've spent so much time in the woods and until the time of your incident never knew they were there. Now you know! To catch them by surprise, in the open, is a longshot. Could you immediately (prior to the first shot) sense their panic / agitation?

Bears don't scare me.

I'd imagine the rest of this statement would be "...because i have the equiptment to protect myself and take them out whenever I like."

Or do you go out and wrestle with them? Teach them a thing or two? :)

I had to respond because no matter how armed I am, a bear will always scare me if I were to meet it in the woods. It's called self-preservation.

Tim B.

I like the details. More of them would be great. The hands, crap, feet, ya know that kinda stuff. We are so used to hearing "it was big and hairy, and was 100 yards away or so, and it was dark at night" that the finer details are fascinating. Did either one make a scream or any noise when the bullet hit the mark? I assume the little one probably dropped in its tracks if it was only 40 lbs or so.

Guest Strick

General,

We are often told that it's our modern technology that would eventually enable us to catch up with these creatures: trail cams; FLIR cameras; drone surveillance etc, but you managed to nail one with a gun.

In theory, this could have happened at any time in the history of the USA. You say yourself that your weapon was not particularly powerful as you didn't want to spoil the meat. Have you got any idea why you were the "lucky" one and why nobody has managed to do this before and bring forward evidence? Doesn't it seem like the craziest thing?

Cheers

Strick

Guest General

Bears are gentle tasty giants. Atleast black bears are. Cornered sure they could do anything. Just don't corner them

When you heard them communicating, did they "talk" in short bursts - grunts, groans, growls OR did it seem like sentences?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions. I know you're bombarded so it is much appreciated!

Guest General

Why me?

Out of all the huntin and fishin fools who try to spend 24/7 in the woods. Why me?

I have no answer I can tell you I am the only one I have ever seen hunt that area that time of year.

I've had a lot of successful hunts. I have always said its cause when I'm hunting I say where does no one else want to go? then I go there.

Guess I'm lucky or unlucky

Even young chimps are strong. When handling the young one and moving it, did you get the sense it was strong for its size?

OR were they more human-like in that our young are pretty helpless and not strong.

Edited by Maju

Have you heard the "sierra sounds" recordings from Ron Morehead? It is claimed to be some squatches talking in the woods. Is that what they sounded like? I think it is from several years ago, and is on youtube as well if you have not heard that.

Guest Cervelo

HG,

You might be missing my point, which is I don't care if he shot Bigfoot. What concerns me is he shot at all at a bipedal humanoid when his spotter was saying don't shoot. It's a safety, bad judgement issue IMO. Let's review somthing is walking towards you on two legs with it's arms up, your partner says don't shoot, this person shoots anyway! Opps look another one pop (two down) oh well let's just call it a day! They ain't bears just bigfoots, let's go..... Don't even get me started on that part of the story :)

Anybody remember somebody by the name swamp bandit???

Guest tpick

Black hands cusions like dogs broken paws with fingers. Imagen a black hand so caulised they are like paws/cusions with fingers. pictures of that will have to be in the book forsure. Those I got a very very good look at. Burned in my mind.

The ran faster then a hog when you shoot at them. so around around 40 miles per hour cause I believe pigs do around 33.

Yes meat eaters (deer forsure) and berries.I know I saw their crap

General, I don't think I have seen you respond to the "odor" issue. Did they smell really bad and when you drug the juvenile, did it leave a strong odor on your hands?

Thanks again bro.

Guest General

No noises once they were hit.

Didn't feel one way or the other on strength it was basically parolized by then.

Haven't seen youtub vocals. Will check that out once on a computer.

Guest HairyGreek

HG,

You might be missing my point, which is I don't care if he shot Bigfoot. What concerns me is he shot at all at a bipedal humanoid when his spotter was saying don't shoot. It's a safety, bad judgement issue IMO. Let's review somthing is walking towards you on two legs with it's arms up, your partner says don't shoot, this person shoots anyway! Opps look another one pop (two down) oh well let's just call it a day! They ain't bears just bigfoots, let's go..... Don't even get me started on that part of the story :)

Anybody remember somebody by the name swamp bandit???

And you are missing mine. He thought he was seeing a monster. Regardless, neither of us know what that is like. I appreciate your opinion and it is duly noted, I just don't agree and think you are being a tad judgmental considering you were not in that, or even a similar, incident. This wasn't something that even if you had hunted your whole life you would ever seen even on a nature show. There is no way to emotionally or mentally prepare for something that you would think doesn't exist. Even if you are looking for these guys...it's probably like being in the military and going off to war. Not the glamor you remembered from movies or playing with plastic guns chasing your friends around. JMO. I thank you for yours. :)