Historical Research

Todd Prescott

I spend a lot of time in the great outdoors armed. In the near future as a soon to be retired chemist.

I plan to spend much more time teaching my grandchildren all about the great outdoors.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Patterson-Gimlin said:

I spend a lot of time in the great outdoors armed. In the near future as a soon to be retired chemist.

I plan to spend much more time teaching my grandchildren all about the great outdoors.

Perfect!

Here's a brand spanking new video just uploaded which features audio from the very first Sasquatch conference ever held. The Conference took place in 1978 at UBC.

• Thanks 1

Here is a continuation of Sasquatch: The Anthropology of the Unknown (from 1978). 

Bigfoot- Man or Beast: It was interesting to see credits at the end with the different gov. agencies and organizations that supported the expedition. Wouldn't happen in this day and age? Really doubt it would.

On 6/26/2020 at 12:27 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Better and more readily available technology. 

Technology is a double edged sword though. So much more opportunity and ability for the average hoaxer or wannabe to create false content. Most of which can probably be refuted and debunked once examined or investigated, but still a drain on time and resources to look into each one.

3 hours ago, TC Lowside said:

Technology is a double edged sword though. So much more opportunity and ability for the average hoaxer or wannabe to create false content. Most of which can probably be refuted and debunked once examined or investigated, but still a drain on time and resources to look into each one.

One edge of that sword is far sharper than the other.

Technology is what has brought a measure of legitimacy to this field. Taken it beyond campfire stories and legends.  The PGF.  The Brown footage.  Our own burgeoning e-DNA efforts.  The audio files and photos many of our members have shared.

It doesn't take much technology to hoax if someone is so inclined.  A couple of pieces of wood, a sharp knife, and a couple of leather straps and you're the next Ray Wallace.

Technology has brought far more benefit than determinant to this field.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

One edge of that sword is far sharper than the other.

Technology is what has brought a measure of legitimacy to this field. Taken it beyond campfire stories and legends.  The PGF.  The Brown footage.  Our own burgeoning e-DNA efforts.  The audio files and photos many of our members have shared.

It doesn't take much technology to hoax if someone is so inclined.  A couple of pieces of wood, a sharp knife, and a couple of leather straps and you're the next Ray Wallace.

Technology has brought far more benefit than determinant to this field.

I can agree with this. And it represents a personal short coming.

Keeping up with the latest tech is a big weakness of mine.

• Upvote 1

On 6/25/2020 at 10:41 PM, Todd Prescott said:

There are quite a few old documentaries, magazine and newspaper articles, books, and radio interviews pertaining to Sasquatch. How do you think that the research has changed from the 1960s-70s-80s-90s to 2020? Here's a 1976 TV segment about Rene Dahinden's search for the Sasquatch. Of course he's widely considered one of the pioneers of Sasquatch research but what has really change from then until now?

Awesome topic. I've seen a bunch of the older films from various eras. My quick analysis is the conditions really impacted the ability to search. In those eras, it was a lot harder to be outdoors and travel into the areas you needed to get to. With today's equipment, GPS, all terrain vehicles, all weather clothing and shelter, etc. It's a no brainer.  Researchers can focus on their work and filming their experiences.

Rene Dahinden was a very interesting character. He would do very well on social media had he been around today.  

Another aspect of today's tech and BF to consider...

Cruise through almost any social media hunting based posts/vids etc and see the angry people from all over bashing the hunters for pursuing game animals. That reveals a lot of folks that value deer, wolves, coyotes,elk etc over human life.

Then imagine the backlash at least from that peanuts gallery if an ape man(or man ape?) was killed.

A potential downside would be every nutjob trying to get even with you, but if the payoff was enough I suppose you could disappear.

• Upvote 1

It is quite uncanny how folks lose perspective on what it means to value life. I don't hear all that much outrage if a hunter shoots another hunter. But Moose? Watch out. And it really kinda gets me that when Bigfoot is the target, how many detractors lift a finger to prove the creature even exists? O organize in a way that will do the Bigfoot any good? In other words? Don't want it shot? Then stop griping about the attempts at hunting them and use the time and energy to lobby science to prove it's existence. Then the no-kill proponents can succeed in their wishes for no harm to come to those BF populations that they love so much.

Yep. perspective, it's all about that. Go after a hunter? Nope. Go after the ones responsible for hiding the truth from the public. Time and energy better spent if you ask me.

• Like 1

Agreed.

My biggest fear in shooting a bf would be walking up& finding a zipper on its hide with some moron inside.

Second thing would be the unwanted attention you'd get, good or bad.

privacy is a valuable thing,so yeah the payoff better be great to help insure my self administered vanishing act.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Doc, really appreciate what you said. There IS such a thing as being clear-headed and consistent. It may be splitting hairs on the finer point, but if one considers it morally wrong for a hunter to grass the Bigfoot, then one should have the moral fortitude and responsibly to do whatever it takes to beat that hunter to the punch.

This is why I admire Norseman so much. The man is a hunter but he has stated many times he would very much like to NOT shoot one if proof comes before his endeavor. And he feels strongly enough about that to support a scientific approach to collect DNA if we can find a definite way to pull it off. What's not to like about that? The no-kill folks should be lining up around the block to sign up for such an effort :) Who knows, once many of them hear of that effort maybe they will and I and a few other members would love to have them on board. Maybe some of those here who go to conferences could get the word out that the BFF is seriously considering this kind of a program?

As far as this thread goes, maybe WE could be the ones who make history.