Long Johns/Thermal Suggestions

NatFoot

Looking to add to my long John/thermal wardrobe, specifically for hunting season.

I used to be a Hot Chili's guy myself but haven't had them for years. I'm not looking for a bulky wool undergarment.

Anyone have any suggestions? We are talking late Fall hunting in WV and CT, so not deep freeze conditions either.

I know some of you go out in the Fall/Winter - any recommendations?

Polartec power stretch pants or merino wool (150 or 250). When it begins getting cool, I put on the polartec power stretch. As it is colder, I'll switch to merino 150, and when it get cold I'll put the power stretch over the 150s.

https://www.rei.com/product/112045/smartwool-merino-150-long-underwear-bottoms-mens

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-base-layers/mens-merino-250-base-layer-bottom-sw016361?variationId=001

https://rab.equipment/us/power-stretch-pro-pants

https://www.polartec.com/fabrics/base/power-stretch

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Time to do some research. 

Don't think I'll be buying from REI any time soon, but this is a great start!

One time when I was in a sporting goods store looking at thermal gear, I asked the 'sales associate' if there was anything in dumbwool? (cheaper). He did not have a sense of humor.

Sportman's Warehouse is mostly western US.  No longer called 'long underwear',  'base layers'  from Grundens are good. I use them. Light weight.

Cabelas is combined with Bass Pro Sports and are almost everywhere. The Fall Hunting Classic sale is on now till Aug. 26. I have not bought base layers from Cabelas but the prices are attractive.

You might want to check the Marine supply stores on the East coast that equip commercial fisherman. Check Grundens brand, Guy Cotten brand is in MA.

Buy the best socks that you can afford. Merino wool socks are expensive but keep toe jam away.

7 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

One time when I was in a sporting goods store looking at thermal gear, I asked the 'sales associate' if there was anything in dumbwool? (cheaper). He did not have a sense of humor.

Sportman's Warehouse is mostly western US.  No longer called 'long underwear',  'base layers'  from Grundens are good. I use them. Light weight.

Cabelas is combined with Bass Pro Sports and are almost everywhere. The Fall Hunting Classic sale is on now till Aug. 26. I have not bought base layers from Cabelas but the prices are attractive.

You might want to check the Marine supply stores on the East coast that equip commercial fisherman. Check Grundens brand, Guy Cotten brand is in MA.

Buy the best socks that you can afford. Merino wool socks are expensive but keep toe jam away.

I was just in BassPro on Friday taking advantage of that sale and for whatever reason I left without checking their selection. Ugh.

Its about an hour drive so not a fan of just hopping back in the car for that.

The Polartec power-stretch pants beneath hiking pants has been what I've used as my principal cool/cold weather gear for years. I also have a top/hoodie in the same material.  When you're hunting, you'll be generating a lot of heat and sweat which the polartec material will wick from your base layer. I even use it for a hat and balaclava (if needed).  For years, EMS had its own brand and carried it in everything from head-to-toe but I don't see it anymore on their website.

I'll put on a tight, polypro top underneath the polartec and then regulate moisture throughout the day by unzipping or zipping a fleece vest. I don't use a thin polypro layer beneath the polartec tights.

The only time I use the merino wool is at night when I stay overnight in cold weather or if it is sub-20F during the day.  I might even just bring the merino and wear it only as needed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I picked up some midweight long johns from Duluth Trading Company today because I wandered in the physical store (who does that anymore?!?!).

Feels quality and was not their heaviest thermal layer. For the price I decided to take a chance. 

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-devil-track-fleece-base-layer-crew-81301.html?dwvar_81301_color=BLK&cgid=mens-underwear-base-layers&ev3=#start=3&cgid=mens-underwear-base-layers

I might have to try that polartec gear as well.

• Upvote 1

That looks to be very similar. It is a poly/fleece/spandex which should work that same was as the polartec power stretch. The best part is you got to to see it in person. great job!!

• Upvote 1

I used to be a wool guy, and might be again if/when higher tech supply manufacturing and transportation breaks down, but my warm weather dress has changed yet again.

In short, I'm a military surplus man in either actual surplus or clothing strategy. In my early years in Alaska, Korean War surplus wool combined with modern North Slope blue collar Arctic work wear was what I used. I STILL wear Army bunny boots, and I always will. In my lifetime, technology will never surpass them at an affordable price.

In terms of long underwear, I have a drawer full of them (polyproplyene) and I never wear them (I still wear polypropylene socks and use polypropylene gloves within Army surplus Arctic mittens). When I was young and working on the Alaska Railroad or outside for Army engineering outfits, I wore long underwear. Later, my strategy changed: my inner layer became my shirt/pants, and I focused more on outer layers for protection from the elements, which were easier to put on and remove, or switch out as the environmental conditions changed. My inner layer pants and/or shirts tend to be lightweight fleece, or standard Army surplus BDUs, which are a cotton/polyester mix. BDUs have construction assets I like such as the durability of double layer at the knees and ass as well as cargo pockets for gear that I want on my body at all times like cell phone (even in out of service areas), GPS, loaded rifle magazines, and 7x rangefinder/monocular.

All of that also varies according to season and the mission of my activity. A multi-day snowmobile ice fishing trip differs widely from a fall caribou/moose/bear hunt.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We get this Helly Hansen stuff at work. It is FR, and it is expensive, but it is very warm and very comfortable. We often work well into minus (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Shirt-Layer-Crewneck/dp/B00JEYG4G2

Not sure if they make it in a non-fire retardant fabric, but if they did it would certainly be cheaper.

hellyhansenpants.jpg

hellyhansenshirt.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 8:37 AM, NatFoot said:

Surprised @norseman or @Huntster haven't commented here....unless they are just true wool guys.

Wool saves lives. Although I like fleece too because it dries super quick. Depends on the application.

Usually rednecks just start layering from a flannel shirt and blue jeans. Filson, woolrich, pendleton. Some wear carhartt over.

What type of hunting in CT for late fall ?  Bow hunting for whitetail? If you're moving I really wouldn't wear any type of long johns for upland birds but tree stand hunting 

can still be a be a bit chilly in the early AM before sunrise.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Wool saves lives. Although I like fleece too because it dries super quick. Depends on the application.

Usually rednecks just start layering from a flannel shirt and blue jeans. Filson, woolrich, pendleton. Some wear carhartt over.

I've become a die hard fleece guy now , it just works . I have a wool pants , jacket and I haven't used it in years . I don't tree stand hunt during black powder season in my state .

If I did I would wear it for the warmth but I still hunt with my black powder rifle. I don't like sitting in a cold treestand keeping still in 15 degree weather with a cold wind to boot .