New Year, New Gear, New Tactics

Skinwalker13

@wiiawiwb I'm actually building a vac-u-form table in the next few weeks. I'm going fabricate my own dishes and make them with the abilty to be customized to whichever mic you want to use.

Are you of the opinion that a shallower dish would be more capable of picking up the longer wavelengths of lower frequency sources or do you think it matters. It would kind of make physics sense that, no matter the microphone, a deeper, smaller diameter dish would be geared more to the higher ends of the audio spectrum? Similar to why large diaphragm mics are better for low tones as opposed to small diaphragm condensers?

The differences would be subtle so I'm only asking if you have a personal opinion regarding dish design. It would seem that larger diameter, shallower dishes would be shaped better for longer wavelengths similar to larger holes in a microwave screen allowing microwaves to escape? So in effect "tuning" the dish?

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Skinwalker....do you mind sharing more information about your parabolic dish? Did you buy it or make it?  Are you happy with it? How would you improve it?

I ask because it has on my "To Do" list for a while. The issue I struggle with is I have to be able to carry it in or on a backpack which definitely limits my choices. There is a company, or two, that have a parabolic dish and mic already made as a package deal that would work. Any information or insights would be appreciated.

https://www.wildtronics.com/store.html#!/Pro-Mini-Parabolic-Clear/p/58684090/category=16104026

I've been looking at that exact same setup.  The mini disc looks like it could carry pretty easily.

@hiflier ill be making a few different dishes and testing them out. I would assume a larger shallow dish would work as you mentioned. Changing dish shape would therefore " tune" the dish. It'll be something I play with for sure. The table I'm making should allow for a 20in object to be made, so I'll be making various size and depths to mess around with. 

Edited by Skinwalker13
Auto correct messed me up
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I've been looking at that exact same setup.  The mini disc looks like it could carry pretty easily.

Talked with the Company today. I'm fumbling around when it comes to sound equipment but they told me exactly what I needed to make my SONY PCM-M10 a workable part of their system. There was a slight nuance I would never have thought of so they helped me beyond what I could have done on my own.  I wouldn't hesitate to call them and let then know the recorder you'll be using. That way, they can help you tweet your system to your fullest benefit.

47 minutes ago, Skinwalker13 said:

@hiflier ill be making a few different dishes and testing them out. I would assume a larger shallow dish would work as you mentioned. Changing dish shape would therefore " tune" the dish. It'll be something I play with for sure. The table I'm making should allow for a 20in object to be made, so I'll be making various size and depths to mess around with. 

The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.  Kindly keep us posted as I'd rather support a brethren than a stranger.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1