Has Dr. Meldrum's Reputation Or Career Been Damaged By His Involvement With Bigfoot?

To get a better understanding of what he and other scientists are up against, read these books.

- The Discovery of Sasquatch, John A. Bindernagel

- Sasquatch Legend Meets Science, Jeff Meldrum

- Bigfoot Sasquatch Evidence, Dr. Grover S. Krantz

Also, when you read or hear personal criticism (as opposed to criticism of ones work), look for motive behind it. If bf is ever proved to exist, there will be many people within and outside of the scientific community with egg on their face. For others, a discovery would shatter their own belief systems. Put another way, if you have concluded that bf does not exist and then its proven to exist, your bias has interfered with your ability to analyze evidence correctly.

Personally, I much appreciate the efforts of the few scientists that are committed to study the evidence left by this animal and the more that get involved, the quicker the answers will come. UPs

How in the world could you know that he's not hightly regarded by the scientific community in regards to his association with bigfoot?

Because there was vocal opposition to his bigfoot exploits from scientists on his own campus a few years ago? Because I've never had a discussion about him with a colleague who had anything positive to say about his bigfoot research? Because he hasn't been able to publish any high-profile bigfoot papers in mainstream journals?

You do know that he's on the council for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Pacific Division, right? You do know that he has given talks/posters on his bigfoot research at their conferences, right? You do know that the AAAS recently did an 5 Things about Jeff Meldrum in their newsletter where he talks about bigfoot, right? You do know who is on the review board of the RHI and who wrote the forward for his book, right? I don't think any of that would be possible if some in the scientific community didn't hold him in high regard.

I carefully couched my comments to include the fact that Meldrum is clearly held in high regard by physical anthropologists. I did not know that he was active in the AAAS, but I am glad to hear it. How you know that it's his bigfoot research that got him in the door escapes me, but I'm willing to play along. If you are making the case that Jeff Meldrum's bigfoot research is so highly regarded by the larger scientific community that it earned him a council position with the AAAS, then this is indeed an auspicious day: Today, we can finally lay to rest this notion that scientists are ostracized, penalized, or in any way marginalized when they express an interest in bigfoot. I've been trying to make that case here for quite some time, and I'm delighted that you are joining me in that effort.

Because there was vocal opposition to his bigfoot exploits from scientists on his own campus a few years ago? Because I've never had a discussion about him with a colleague who had anything positive to say about his bigfoot research? Because he hasn't been able to publish any high-profile bigfoot papers in mainstream journals?

And again, how do those few people translate to your statement about the entire scientific community? I am very sure there are some who don't respect him, some who do respect him, some who have never given it any thought, etc.

I carefully couched my comments to include the fact that Meldrum is clearly held in high regard by physical anthropologists. I did not know that he was active in the AAAS, but I am glad to hear it. How you know that it's his bigfoot research that got him in the door escapes me, but I'm willing to play along. If you are making the case that Jeff Meldrum's bigfoot research is so highly regarded by the larger scientific community that it earned him a council position with the AAAS, then this is indeed an auspicious day: Today, we can finally lay to rest this notion that scientists are ostracized, penalized, or in any way marginalized when they express an interest in bigfoot. I've been trying to make that case here for quite some time, and I'm delighted that you are joining me in that effort.

Where did I say that Meldrum's bigfoot research got him on the AAAS council? I said he was on the council and very open about his research (and it appears to me that the AAAS supports him). I would agree that wholesale ostracism, etc. due to an expressed interest in bigfoot doesn't occur - problems like that are generally based on individuals with bad attitudes and are in no way limited to bigfoot.

It is my opinion that his career has been boosted by his bigfoot interest - not damaged. I'm quite sure he has profited from it as any scientist has from their special interests. I do however think that his findings are often based on speculation, and not on solid foundations or facts. In simple terms - he profits from supporting the bigfoot theory.

Edited by 127

Guest RedRatSnake

A guys got to make a living, and his way sure beats the hell out of running around the country in a truck hitting trees and whooping like a mad man.

Tim :)

And again, how do those few people translate to your statement about the entire scientific community? I am very sure there are some who don't respect him, some who do respect him, some who have never given it any thought, etc.

I agree. That's why I wrote this:

"Among his scientific colleagues, it looks to me like he enjoys the respect of other physical anthropologists. People cite his scholarly work, and that's probably the best indication that he's well-regarded in his field. With respect to his association with bigfoot, I would say that he's generally not highly regarded by the scientific community."

Guest RedRatSnake

I don't know Tim, that looks like a lot of fun to me! Of course I'm compareing it to my job so......

Looks like i should have clarified my post better, i was making a Biscardi reference with the mad man thing ~

Tim

There is also the POV that Dr.Meldrum is also the Guy the Television Execs recognise because he has thrown it hat into the ring. When they look around for an expert (from the Execs position) his name comes up, so they approach him so he accepts. Given the small number of Professional Biologists willing to go on TV show about Bigfoot, combine that with a personality which will capture an Audience. He might not be the Best choice, but in some instances he may be the Only option provided.

After all if his credibility has been damaged, there are two ways to get it back, Back off and use another field to try and overshadow your earlier claims, or Stick to it and do your best to prove yourself right. So going into Public forums to try and validate your claims, or even try and gather evidence documented by the current Public trend, "Reality TV Shows".

So from a personal POV Meldrim's Reputation or Career has not been damaged, its just taken a different path. His Reputation/Career can only be damaged if he turns his back on the Bigfoot Field or he radically changes his theories. Whether I agree with his theories or not is not an issue for me. So long as he puts a professional face to serious research so that people like us can point to him and say "There is at least some Scientists willing to consider the issue!" then his presence is a benefit.

I like to point out to my wife "for every Mouse you see scurrying there is probably another Four hiding in the walls". So by seeing anybody step forward there is hope that there are others standing in the wings waiting to see which way the axe falls before they decide to step into the spotlight.

To some extent this also extends to the entire spectrum of Bigfoot Research. I know where I stand but I am willing to listen to every experience and weigh it against my own ideas. Just because It seems fantastic from my Point of View is not a game ender to me, until everything is Proven one way or the other, the ball is in the air and its anybody's game.

Whether I agree with his theories or not is not an issue for me. So long as he puts a professional face to serious research so that people like us can point to him and say "There is at least some Scientists willing to consider the issue!" then his presence is a benefit.

What of us scientists who consider the issue but find the evidence - including Jeff Meldrum's best efforts to cast it in a favorable light - wholly unconvincing?

I find you as the Guys are the whetstone to sharpen the mind.

Step back from any "evidence" look at it from Every side (ie what else does it look like this is evidence of) and approach the evidence from new a direction. As i said So long as he is approaching the job in a professional manner

I am of the opinion that Meldrum has ceased believing in BF and is now just going with the "bigfoot" flow(so to speak). He probably makes good money for all his appearances on TV and at the conferences, as well as recently flying to Russia(I believe?). Also, it occurs to me everytime I see him on these BF shows that he makes it an absolute point that he does not necessarily believe in Bigfoot, only that he had a justifiable reason for looking into the phenomenon based on the evidence he had seen.

If that's the case he needs to retract some the statements he has made in his own book about how he feels about Sasquatch.

"For me, it now seems more incredible to suggest this matter could all be dismissed as mere stories, misidentifications, and spurious hoaxes than it is to at least rationally entertain the well-founded suggestion that the legend of Sasquatch possibly has it's basis in a real animal and may eventually prove to be among the most astounding zoological discoveries ever."

From Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science By Jeff Meldrum

I am of the opinion that Meldrum has ceased believing in BF and is now just going with the "bigfoot" flow(so to speak). He probably makes good money for all his appearances on TV and at the conferences, as well as recently flying to Russia(I believe?). Also, it occurs to me everytime I see him on these BF shows that he makes it an absolute point that he does not necessarily believe in Bigfoot, only that he had a justifiable reason for looking into the phenomenon based on the evidence he had seen.

Are you suggesting that he is accepting money under false pretenses? That would be fraud I believe.