Ohio Juvenile

Grubfingers

9 hours ago, gigantor said:

........How are you still alive?

Neither God or Satan want me, so they leave me here with y'all.

Both head shots were single shotgun pellets, The first was quail shot through the upper lip and hit a tooth. I had a bald spot in my moustache for a few years until the scar went away. The second was a 000 steel buckshot ball (36 caliber, 68 grain) that hit me next to my right eye and tracked along my skull and came to rest against my temporal artery. It never entered the skull. I was over 100 yards from the shooter, so the velocity at impact was really low. I was blinded in that eye, but over the period of a couple years, my sight came back.

I got grazed by a 7.62 round between my upper arm and ribs as well. It burnt my upper arm like a branding iron and shattered a rib, lacerating my lung with bone fragments. I was back to light duty within two weeks.

I cut my right thumb open to the bone and full length just picking up a heavy truck tire iron that had been beaten with a sledge hammer and had a mushroomed end. It was as sharp as a razor. I didn't even feel it. The only way I knew was the blood everywhere and the cool breeze on my thumb bone. The thumb had to be splinted immobile for weeks to heal because if I curled it, the cut would splay open like a butterfly opening its wings. 

• Upvote 2

Tough old bastage, ain't ya?

Was the 000 buck in combat?

Edited by Incorrigible1

Admin
2 hours ago, Huntster said:

Neither God or Satan want me, so they leave me here with y'all.

Both head shots were single shotgun pellets, The first was quail shot through the upper lip and hit a tooth. I had a bald spot in my moustache for a few years until the scar went away. The second was a 000 steel buckshot ball (36 caliber, 68 grain) that hit me next to my right eye and tracked along my skull and came to rest against my temporal artery. It never entered the skull. I was over 100 yards from the shooter, so the velocity at impact was really low. I was blinded in that eye, but over the period of a couple years, my sight came back.

I got grazed by a 7.62 round between my upper arm and ribs as well. It burnt my upper arm like a branding iron and shattered a rib, lacerating my lung with bone fragments. I was back to light duty within two weeks.

I cut my right thumb open to the bone and full length just picking up a heavy truck tire iron that had been beaten with a sledge hammer and had a mushroomed end. It was as sharp as a razor. I didn't even feel it. The only way I knew was the blood everywhere and the cool breeze on my thumb bone. The thumb had to be splinted immobile for weeks to heal because if I curled it, the cut would splay open like a butterfly opening its wings. 

Wow! That's crazy Hunstster, I'm glad you're still with us.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

Wow! That's crazy Hunstster, I'm glad you're still with us.

So are God and Satan apparently! 

• Haha 2

A buddy of mine accidentally stuck his hunting arrow in his calf while hunting way back in the woods. He drove himself to the ER and passed out as he got there and ran his truck into the front steps of the building. The doctor said he had never seen someone lose that much blood and survive. 

My buddy said it was the most euphoric feeling he had ever had and it got better the more he bled out. He said if he could sell a pill that made you feel that way, he would be a billionaire. 

12 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Tough old bastage, ain't ya?

Was the 000 buck in combat?

Both shotgun incidents were on bird hunts. The quail hunt was when I was 16. The buckshot incident was during a ptarmigan hunt by snowmobile in 2001. The guy who shot me had the buckshot in his pocket in case he got a shot at a wolf. He wasn't paying attention reloading his gun. We were 44 mikes from a road, and another 80 miles to the nearest clinic. Fortunately there was a remote lodge just a few miles away, and they had. radio-phine. I was evacuated by helicopter. It was 37 degrees below zero.

The 7.62 round was sent by a sniper while I was working on the perimeter fence around the base. The round passed between my torso and upper arm and blew the tool bag up in front of me laying on the flatbed of the truck as I was working on something. I was under the truck before the burn on my arm made me realize that I'd been grazed. It was another few seconds before I realized that my rib was busted. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Doug said:

.......My buddy said it was the most euphoric feeling he had ever had and it got better the more he bled out. He said if he could sell a pill that made you feel that way, he would be a billionaire. 

I went hypothermic after driving my truck through the ice and sunk in 44' of water in 2012. My body temp was confirmed as cold as 88 degrees, measured @ 10 minutes after getting into a heated house, undressed, wrapped in a blanket, and drunk a cup of coffee. My brother in law told me that the coldest body temp he has ever heard that the victim mad. full recovery was 86 degrees, so I was close.

It also does strange things to your mind. It wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Drowning would be fairly quick and painless, too, but it comes with a couple minutes of pure panic. 

I had two brushes with death on the fire dept. The chief sent us on the roof to ventilate and two cuts into the roof the roof sagged about a foot and me and another fire fighter did the tango off the roof and down the ladder. The roof went into the 9000 degree basement. Luckily the wall held where the ladder was propped up. We should not have been up there but there was a lady trapped inside. She had been smoking with oxygen.

The other one was simply black ice and a crash. And flares and flashlights didn’t seem to slow people down. So when they realized the road was blocked they would lock up the brakes and skitter in and out of the ditch and one of the cars bumpers almost touched me doing 50 sideways. Dumb people.

Ive had bulls throw me through fences and rode bare back in rodeo but the closest I ever came to death in the woods was we were packing in Moose creek in Idaho and my buddy’s horse was acting up which made my mare act up. She stepped off the trail and we rolled. Luckily I fell next to the dead fall with the stob, if I had landed on it? I wouldn’t be here. It took some of her weight. And I don’t know how many ribs I broke. Sleeping on the ground after that was murderous and we cut the trip short.

Ive been shot at, by pot growers, but they were just trying to scare us I think. We shot back and retreated out of the area which was their goal I think. Now it’s perfectly legal.

Im glad you made it Huntster! Awesome stories! Our Canadian friends have a couple of Griz attack stories too!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

You're a remarkable sob, my friend! Do you believe the sniper round was x39 or x54R?

Don't know. It wouldn't have to have been a long range shot. The area was cleared beyond the perimeter fencing, but not far. 

There are an unlimited number of ways to die out there.

13 hours ago, norseman said:

I had two brushes with death on the fire dept........

.......my buddy’s horse was acting up which made my mare act up. She stepped off the trail and we rolled. Luckily I fell next to the dead fall with the stob, if I had landed on it? I wouldn’t be here........

Fire is terribly horrible way to go, and crushing is right there with it. Any long, suffering death in the hospital would be my nightmare. In fact, I really don't want to die in a hospital. I want to leave from home or the wilderness.

• Thanks 1

Admin

I've never even broken a bone. The sickest I've ever been was after the second covid shot. :lol:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, gigantor said:

.......The sickest I've ever been was after the second covid shot. :lol:

I was pretty sore after my covid shots, too.And the more of them I got, the more they hurt.

48 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I've never even broken a bone. The sickest I've ever been was after the second covid shot. :lol:

Which turns out is pretty deadly!

The closest I have ever came to being killed in the woods was when I was archery hunting elk. My buddy and I saw a herd in a meadow and went after them. I was in the timber to the north, my buddy in the timber to the east, hoping to get them between us. It didn't work out and as I was returning to the truck, I saw my buddy at the edge of the field. We carry orange caps to use to signal with.  I got his attention and he motioned to meet at the truck. I walked back into the timber as it was faster to get to the truck. I took a few steps, stopped to figure out where I wanted to navigate, when the ground dropped out from under me. My chest and face hit the ground and down I went clawing at the leaflitter, moss and forest duff. I kept a hold of my bow but failed to use it as a way to keep me from going down the sink hole. It was narrow enough that my arms could not be lowered. I could lower my elbows to my ribs, but my hands still at my head. I was deep enough when I came to rest holding my bow by the end above my head it was about a foot below ground. I could barely move. My buddy went to the truck. Ate his lunch. He figured I had come a cross the elk and went after them. He took a nap and then began looking for me. He looked all afternoon and decided to go back to where he saw me last and eventually found me. He couldn't hear me yelling while he was above me. He just happened to see the hole and disturbance on the ground. If I had been alone or had not got his attention, I would have endured a long slow death. No one would know to look for me there.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2