Fawn found wedged 15 foot up a tree

norseman

On 7/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, norseman said:

I would have to see it to believe it. I had hounds and Bobcats don’t really tree. They stay on the ground and use their small bodies to get into tight places the dogs cannot go. Rocks, hollow logs, dead fall, brush piles. It’s way more effective as well. The houndsmen cannot get a shot on em. Not saying a Bobcat won’t tree, but they are what 30 lbs? Hauling a fawn straight up a 15 foot perch is no small task.

Mine was in Wisconsin. Not any cougars in Wisconsin is there? I don’t see fawns in trees here? But our trees here are not usually helpful unless it’s a school marm ( split top ).

Yeah average is 25 30 pounds but they do grow bigger . The record in that state is 52 pounds . Really not sure what hauled it up there but if there are bobcats claw marks on the tree I have to go with bobcat .And cats are just crazy strong 

Edited by 7.62

3 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

https://www.ksnt.com/news/kansas/mountain-lion-sightings-increasing-in-kansas-heres-where/

50 sightings in KS in the last 15 years. This is a state with NO mountain lions, allegedly. Someone should tell these cats they aren't allowed to be there :)

Breeding lions confirmed in several locations in Nebraska. Many of us are getting in the habit of referring to them as "River lions," since we have no mountains, yet it's plainly evident the cats are using rivers as travel ways across the state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, norseman said:

NE Washington. My blue state in its infinite wisdom banned hound hunting years ago. I gave my hounds to two Indian kids across the river. My female outstruck everyone of his dogs on top of the box. And her brother literally latched onto a bears rump while it was climbing a tree and was attempting to rip it off the tree. He used to hang from raccoon drags I would tie into a tree. Great great fun. Those dogs were as dedicated as my mules were! 

Your preaching to the choir on everything else. I know that animals are reclaiming their range. And I know we have Jags in the southwest. Yes. 

But a large cougar needs to be killing about a deer a week. Your gonna notice if he is around. And the other thing is Ive never seen a Cougar hang a fawn in a tree. They will eat 20 lbs of meat in just one feeding. That Fawn should have been a quick snack.

Yes a Cougar has the power to haul it up there. Easy. It should also have the power to go back and get it whenever. So why not? I promise one thing? Coyotes did NOT scare it away.

Agreed, when you put it that way, its weird that it didn't get munched. No chance it was a bird. That much is sure. 

59 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

Agreed, when you put it that way, its weird that it didn't get munched. No chance it was a bird. That much is sure. 

Not unless…..

IMG_1084.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I heard a commotion about fifty yards below me in a dried out swamp when deer hunting. It sounded like a bear killing a deer. After the commotion stop I see a bobcat walk out from the criss crossing logs and brush. I wanted to see what it was doing. The bobcat laid on a log about one hundred yards away. I head down to take a look. What I found was a spike black tailed deer around eighty pounds in body weight laying half way on a log with four bloody fang marks on the wind pipe.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

I heard a commotion about fifty yards below me in a dried out swamp when deer hunting. It sounded like a bear killing a deer. After the commotion stop I see a bobcat walk out from the criss crossing logs and brush. I wanted to see what it was doing. The bobcat laid on a log about one hundred yards away. I head down to take a look. What I found was a spike black tailed deer around eighty pounds in body weight laying half way on a log with four bloody fang marks on the wind pipe.

Bobcats are known to kill deer by leaping on their backs and biting the neck. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 1

I think there are limited breeding populations in states where the Environmental Conservation Departments will arrogantly tell you none exist.  Deny, deny, deny is the protocol.

Too much economically at stake in terms of having to create a special department, with rules, and plenty of state personnel potentially involved. Budget busters that those states that would prefer they just not deal with it. 

This is a common thing Mountain Lions do with their preferred prey of deer and elk. 

Mountain Lions are in Wisconsin where this happened. 

2 hours ago, Arel3 said:

This is a common thing Mountain Lions do with their preferred prey of deer and elk. 

Cougar drag Elk into a tree????!!!!

2 hours ago, Arel3 said:

Leopards, yes. Mountain lions?

10 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Leopards, yes. Mountain lions?

I don’t know about an Elk. But Leopards are impressive.

I remembered seeing this article a couple of years ago. Unfortunately there weren't any pics taken.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/deer_in_tree.htm

On 7/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, Incorrigible1 said:

Breeding lions confirmed in several locations in Nebraska. Many of us are getting in the habit of referring to them as "River lions," since we have no mountains, yet it's plainly evident the cats are using rivers as travel ways across the state.

Incorrigible, are you anywhere near SW Omaha? Note this article is dated only five days ago, on July 25. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mountain-lion-nebraska-search-home-security-video-rcna96109