Fawn found wedged 15 foot up a tree

norseman

On 7/27/2023 at 4:21 PM, norseman said:

I would have to see it to believe it. I had hounds and Bobcats don’t really tree. They stay on the ground and use their small bodies to get into tight places the dogs cannot go. Rocks, hollow logs, dead fall, brush piles. It’s way more effective as well. The houndsmen cannot get a shot on em. Not saying a Bobcat won’t tree, but they are what 30 lbs? Hauling a fawn straight up a 15 foot perch is no small task.

Mine was in Wisconsin. Not any cougars in Wisconsin is there? I don’t see fawns in trees here? But our trees here are not usually helpful unless it’s a school marm ( split top ).

There have been several recent sightings of cougars in Wisconsin....

We are nudging ever closer to proving that big cats are a really here in the UK. I was fortunate enough to see one myself while passing on slow moving train. 

We have a university here examining tooth pits which are signs Big Cats leave when biting down on bones of their prey. We have had some interesting DNA results too.

Noticed this article a few years ago now which isn't too far away from me near Glasgow. One deer was found dragged up a tree another found with bite marks in the neck. Of course no one made the connection in the article but possible BC was the culprit.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/grisly-mystery-after-dead-roe-5353126

Can't recommend this podcast enough. Rik Minter is doing some great work in this field. Asked me to appear and talk about my big cat sighting and also discussed some Sasquatch topics on that episode also.

https://bigcatconversations.com/

• Upvote 1

Could a wolverine drag a fawn up a tree? I don't know if they even do that with prey,  but I'd think they're tenacious enough to have been responsible for the moose! Well......almost.......ok ......probably not a moose, but I bet they got the strength of a bobcat easy like, it's just a question  of if there's any of them around  out there? 

Incorrigible, "river lions"   that's too funny but wouldn't "corporate farm lions" be more accurate? Or at least fitting? 

On 8/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, djm5971 said:

There have been several recent sightings of cougars in Wisconsin....

As I stated earlier I am well aware. Thanks.

28 minutes ago, guyzonthropus said:

Could a wolverine drag a fawn up a tree? I don't know if they even do that with prey,  but I'd think they're tenacious enough to have been responsible for the moose! Well......almost.......ok ......probably not a moose, but I bet they got the strength of a bobcat easy like, it's just a question  of if there's any of them around  out there? 

Incorrigible, "river lions"   that's too funny but wouldn't "corporate farm lions" be more accurate? Or at least fitting? 

I don’t think so? Wolverines are so damn mean why would it put dinner in a tree? Ive seen video of Wolverine pushing a Grizzly off of its kill!

They do climb trees though,  but I don’t have enough experience with one to know what it does with its dinner.

Right, I don't know that they'd have any need to actually go to that effort. 

Now, perhaps a colony of Stoats that mobbed a fawn, stashed it in a tree until after "the decision" was made concerning who actually got to eat it. Most likely determined by the lot of them all racing around in a field until none could remember what it was all about in the first place(hence the fawn was still there to be found)

Edited by guyzonthropus

48 minutes ago, norseman said:

I don’t think so? Wolverines are so damn mean why would it put dinner in a tree?........

To keep it away from a pack of wolves.

28 minutes ago, guyzonthropus said:

Right, I don't know that they'd have any need to actually go to that effort. 

Now, perhaps a colony of Stoats that mobbed a fawn, stashed it in a tree until after "the decision" was made concerning who actually got to eat it. Most likely determined by the lot of them all racing around in a field until none could remember what it was all about in the first place(hence the fawn was still there to be found)

Stoats?

9 minutes ago, Huntster said:

To keep it away from a pack of wolves.

Is a Wolverine scared of Wolves? 

34 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........Is a Wolverine scared of Wolves? 

A pack of wolves is a difficult thing to defend your food from.

19 minutes ago, Huntster said:

A pack of wolves is a difficult thing to defend your food from.

Thanks! Is it your experience that Wolverines stick kills in trees up in Alaska a lot? I mean is it a very common trait?

Its probably as probable as a Cougar being in Wisconsin?

6 hours ago, MarkGlasgow said:

We are nudging ever closer to proving that big cats are a really here in the UK. I was fortunate enough to see one myself while passing on slow moving train. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/21/beast-of-bodmin-mystery-solved-as-dartmoor-zoo-released-pumas-in/

Couple cans of Albacore tuna and a good cat call is worth the risk. Meow meow. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, norseman said:

........Is it your experience that Wolverines stick kills in trees up in Alaska a lot? I mean is it a very common trait?........

Not really. First of all, in most of Alaska, we don't have deer. It's moose and caribou. They're much larger than deer, thus more difficult to drag up a tree. Secondly, caribou calve in alpine areas devoid of trees. Thirdly, a solitary wolverine taking a moose calf from a healthy cow moose is unlikely, unless she has twins.

But it wouldn't surprise me to see it. If a pack of wolves came upon a wolverine with carrion and a tree was handy, my bet is that the wolverine would take to the tree.

• Thanks 1

I'm rooting for the fugitive Omaha mountain lion!

Go, cat, go!
Keep your furry head down and your whiskers clean!

Screenshot_20230803_204213_Email.jpg

• Haha 1

As a Nebraska native for my first 30 years of life, it was well known there were cats in Nebraska.  Omaha has had lots of cats over the years spotted and verified, and it is one of the only metro areas in the state (Lincoln being the other).  

I grew up in northeast Nebraska, and cat sightings happened there also.  Grew up along the Elkhorn river, and while we were never worried about cats, the river was an obvious area/corridor they would be located.  They amount of summer nights we spent camping along the river in the summers, there had to be times a cat had passed through and we never knew.

I have spent the last 22 years in Montana.  Obviously there are cats up here.  I have seen one, fleetingly, once.  I live in the foothills at 6100 ft elevation (not in a town), and we have had a cat following/stalking kids who got off the bus stop about 2 miles down from my place.  At this point, I had younger kids myself, and while they didn't take the bus (I took them to school), these kinds of things make you think when your kids are constantly out playing on the heavily treed mountainside your house is on.  We have had lots of bears at my place over the years, but I am sure cats have been close by many times.  My mother, while my parents were here visting one time, saw a mountain lion cross the road just a half mile from my house.  But obviously Montana is going to have cats around. 

I don't think it is a question of if cats are around in many states in the US - they are.  Maybe not in great numbers, but many states that claim no mountain lion population does have them, and that info is just not dispersed by the states local authorities.  It seems kind of silly to not admit they are around, but that seems to be a pattern in some states.

As far as the deer in the tree in this post, I am no expert, but I think a mountain lion is the most likely answer.  But not the only possible answer.  Just by far the most likely.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 2:03 PM, norseman said:

Cougar drag Elk into a tree????!!!!

Of course not. This topic's talking about a little fawn that might weigh 60 pounds if it's lucky.