How strong is a Gorilla?

norseman

• 3 weeks later...

It would seem they're not strong enough to knock over a papaya tree with any ease! I guess that the trouble with being just a 400lb ape instead of an 800-1000 lb relic hominid! 

• Haha 1

I'm glad you posted that, Norse!  I have often wondered about that.  It's great to hear an explanation of why and how Gorillas are so strong.  AMAZING!  They are one of my very favorite animals.  

I read an article many years ago explaining how big cats can keep their musculature in a confinement that is not physically challenging.  Apparently, they can do some sort of mental reflex/body exercise that keeps them fit?  Incredible!  And, I think about Gorillas like Koko and I wonder if I would be terrified in their presence.   I hope not!  lol

Still, if we catch a Bigfoot, I think we should release it later.  :biggrin:  

Their fast twitch muscle combined with excessive testosterone levels are a big part of why they are so dominate.   Add in the sagittal crest that increases their jaw strength and they are extremely deadly animals.  

Regarding BF,    We do not have any verified evidence of strength or agility.  It’s all up in the air.   If we take a cumulative of reports they have every and any advantage.   Speed, strength, intelligence, etc.    I’d venture a guess only one these or 1.5 is true.     We are not dealing with a super being as some reports would imply.   If we were,  then most likely humans would not be dominate. At worse BF would be more well known and acknowledged.    Super species would stand out in a more obvious way.    Just my opinion of course.  

• Like 1

Speed and strength would seem self apparent, what with reports of  car chasing and the ubiquitous branch breaking. From the tossing of the 55gal drums at bluff creek to thrown boulders and knocked over trees, their strength is amply demonstrated. While pongid vs hominid rules out direct extrapolation of relative strength, i d not hesitate to bet mature sasquatch are amongst the strongest creatures native to the western hemisphere at least! 

As for their level of sentience, one might think that's a more varied variable, dependent on any number of factors ranging from a biological predisposition to the impact of generational transference of knowledge and abilities, all variables in themselves, as such could well vary from troop to troop, region to region, even amongst individuals as we see in humans.

Of course if the create/manipulate portals and the like, this would imply a higher understanding of physics than we ourselves hold, unless they do so knowing only how it works rather than why it works as well. Presuming telepathy, they could well come off as a lot smarter than us, but if they know our thoughts within a proximity, such an impression might be a lot easier make! Even a child with such a talent might appear a strategic genius as it reads our plots and then seemingly thwarting them with ease. 

Just a thought.....

The only documented strength ive read about a gorilla was from someone who worked at a zoo.  dude saw a male gorilla grab a truck tire and squish it until the inside of the tire is touching the inside of the tire on the other end.  like a semi truck tire

Edited by RedHawk454