Wisconsin

wiiawiwb

I have an opportunity to visit friends who live in the Wausau area. If I take them up on their offer, I would like to go sasquatching on my own for two days.

I have never been in that region of the country before, and know nothing about Wisconsin specifically, although I do see there is the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest located in two different regions. One is located north-northwest of Green Bay while the other is much farther west and north around the Butternut/Glidden area. Does anyone know which region would better to go to? I'm not asking for anyone's honey holes--just looking to narrow down which of the two regions would be preferred. My friends do not go sasquatching and aren't any help in that regard.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and you can PM me if you would prefer.  Thanks in advance.

p.s. I couldn't help but notice the hundreds of small lakes and ponds in the region between the two national forest locations mentioned above.  One could spend a lifetime sasquatching there!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.030801,-89.5760907,10.58z?entry=ttu

I'd suggest going to the area north of Tripoli (it's on Hwy 8).  It's about 1-1.5 hours north of Wausau.  Your map looks like it shows Hwy 8 temporarily closed, but it is the BP station that's closed because of a fire about a year ago.

As far as which part of the Chequamegon-Nicolet forest, the western arm is less populated.  I'll warn you that all the 3-number roads are forest service roads and some can be pretty rough. 

If you are thinking of a specific area, you can PM me and ask about it.  I know a bit about the northwoods of Wisconsin.