Does Bigfoot Dig Earthen Tunnels?

georgerm

5 hours ago, Twist said:

Tunneling is also a great way to be trapped…….by hunter or earth.

My opinion remains the same.  They may utilize pre-existing systems.  I do not see them digging/creating them.

Well the bigfoot here in the southern Oregon coastal mountains dug a big deep tunnel. This may be why they are so hard to find and film.

3 hours ago, norseman said:

I think it would entirely depend on the substrate. I have a bear den on my property constructed under a granite rock. Could a Bigfoot excavate something like that digging in loose decomposed granite? I think so. Basically anything a Bear could do, I think a Bigfoot could do.

I’ve also heard of them rearranging talus rock slides to form big pits also. Technically not digging. But rearranging the terrain to suit its needs.

But nothing like the extinct giant sloth.

Exactely. Bears and bigfoots are earthen den makers. Bigfoot must hibernate in the really cold areas and staying warm in a well hidden tunnel with rooms for the family is ideal. Bears dig with claws and sas probably uses claws, sticks, or shovel shaped rocks.

1 hour ago, Twist said:

I’m thinking of tunnels as into the soiled ground, dug out by hand, aka Vietcong.     I may be completely off from the original intent of OP.   

Similar to how I could see them using existing tunnels, using outcroppings, or constructing rudimentary lean too’s etc could be possible.  

I would agree nothing as extensive as the VC, no.

https://www.historynet.com/tunnel-rats-vietnam/

1 hour ago, georgerm said:

Well the bigfoot here in the southern Oregon coastal mountains dug a big deep tunnel. This may be why they are so hard to find and film.

I would be interested to hear more about this.  Are you speaking of one tunnel?  Multiple rooms for family?   These BF have culture? 

2 hours ago, georgerm said:

How does one determine who / what excavated a hole?

Mineral prospectors have been all over the west coast. They behave like burrowing animals when there is a whisper of a motherlode.

Googling caves/caverns in Oregon yields commercialized cave experiences.  Checking cave listings with the BLM ( Bureau of Land Management ) and DNR will show less commercialized locations plus abandoned hard rock mining locations.

In Washington State, we have:

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/publications/ger_ic40_caves_of_wa.pdf

Published in 1963 and does not have any unusual animal activity. In the early 60's, the terms would have been 'Yeti' and 'Abominable Snowman'. 

IIRC, the reference to caves in Washington was posted on this forum awhile back by a guy in Maine. Funny.

We can't enter caves due to WNS, White Nose Syndrome --- not to be confused with Brown Nose Syndrome.

No need to drive Sasquatch away from caves by using a trail camera. A smaller physical envelope, quieter device is available in TrailMaster passive IR detectors. One would aim high to miss bears, coyotes, etc. The data is 'time stamps' of activity. I don't know if a group of bats will trigger a TrailMaster unit.

16 hours ago, Twist said:

I would be interested to hear more about this.  Are you speaking of one tunnel?  Multiple rooms for family?   These BF have culture? 

Ray my fellow researcher, said they stumbled into a large camoflauged tunnel entrance that was half way up a steep hill along a forested ravine in southwest Oregon. It probably had a trickling stream to help get rid of excavated dirt. On the way up the ravine, they discovered the stick covered entrance. The deep tunnel bottom went out of view.

While Ray was looking up hill, past the tunnel and stick cover, he was horrified when he saw an angry huge bigfoot peeking around a tall fir tree. The head was massive and fur covered with glaring eyes. He told his friend, and they both headed back down the ravine and heard the bigfoot in close pursuit.

If a bigfoot family has no caves or mines to spend freezing winters since there are none around, what is BF supposed to do?  Can two clans live in one cave, mine or earthen den network? We simply can't study bigfoot to know the answers but rare obversations of tunnel building by others like Ray can lead to a fact. Seems like if one bigfoot family makes tunnels like the one Ray found then others do to if there are no mines or caves.  

• Thanks 1

Interesting, thanks for that account.  I would certainly be interested in hearing about more instances like this if you happen to come across them.  

I had a buddy hunting in Idaho discover a ravine that didn’t have a cave or he didn’t see it, but did have rock outcroppings and hidey holes. Nothing Bigfoot related per se except for a mass amount of bones of ungulates. He said he never saw anything like it. It wasn’t a couple of bones but hundreds and hundreds. He said it looked like something you would expect to find in the cave man days, where everything was dragged back to the cave. Maybe it was a Bear or Cougar but if it was it was highly unusual behavior. Bears only stick in one spot during winter and they hibernate. And Cougar move around and usually eat their kill where they killed it. Something was dragging all of its kills back to this ravine, probably many miles, for no apparent reason other than it liked that ravine…..a lot. It wasn’t close to a road where humans where could be dumping butcher scraps over the hill. If it was a human they were going through a lot of trouble to do this.

So what other animal would do this?

Come to think of it? Ostman was carried to a ravine?

If the ravine was steep on all sides a herd of elk may have gone in it to escape a winter storm, and may have gotten stuck and starved to death if enough ice covered the sides.

3 hours ago, georgerm said:

Ray my fellow researcher, said they stumbled into a large camoflauged tunnel entrance that was half way up a steep hill along a forested ravine in southwest Oregon. 

Did he go back, I know I sure would have.  I’d want 3-4 people and we’d all have rifles though.  Not necessarily to shoot one, but just to look for evidence.

3 hours ago, Chim Chim said:

If the ravine was steep on all sides a herd of elk may have gone in it to escape a winter storm, and may have gotten stuck and starved to death if enough ice covered the sides.

The only problem is the bones were multi species. 

On 10/3/2023 at 3:34 PM, Twist said:

The tunnel was found in 1993, and we don't know if there were rooms. I suspect there was one big room for the family.

We don't know if the bigfoots have moved from their hidden location. I'm going to have Ray drive me up to where the ravine is located. He is quite shaken up from his experiences. 

I'm not sure about a long tunnel but I could see a cave for shelter being dug out in the soils that would support it. A tunnel of much length would require bracing in most soils and I'm not sure a bigfoot thinks along those lines. I've read that the tunnels in Vietnam were dug during the monsoon season when the clayey soil was looser and damp because when the monsoon was over and the heat and dry returned, it would dry the tunnels into a hard brick like consistency.

The tunnel diggers must have the instincts to know how and where to dig long tunnels without cave ins. Seems like bigfoot wants a secret life and the best way is to live in underground dens, then wake up and hunt at night. On the grim side human victims can be snatched and taken underground never to be seen again.  

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/get-lost-in-mega-tunnels-dug-by-south-american-megafauna

"At the top of Frank’s list is to better describe patterns emerging from observations he’s collected studying paleoburrows for the past decade. Some are simple shafts; others are complicated works of underground engineering, with branching tunnels that twist and turn and rise and fall to form a network with more than one entrance. Some occasionally open up into much larger chambers. There are relatively small ones. Then there are the enormous ones.

“We need to figure out the patterns. We’re starting to understand this better,” Frank says. “And from there, we’ll be better able to infer what kinds of different animals were digging them.”

• Upvote 1