The dangers of wishful thinking when doing sasquatch investigations

Explorer

8 hours ago, Explorer said:

In conclusion, wishful thinking and subjective biases are dangers that all long time researchers (who believe in the reality of sasquatch) have to deal with and be attentive to.

Even those experienced in the woods can sometimes be fooled. It's usually best to reserve judgment until more can be learned about a particular scenario.

Edited by wiiawiwb

11 hours ago, Explorer said:

self-deceived by noises and animals that they can't identify and how random tree debris can become BF tree structures in their mind. 

They go in with a mind-set bigfoot is not just real but COMMON.  Thus, they expect to see bigfoot everywhere.  In this way, anything they can't immediately identify is probably bigfoot.

Chris gives the impression that these creatures live very close to his neighborhood and every odd noise or odd tree structure that he runs into is made by the sasquatches.

This is what I call the Finding Bigfoot Embarrassment.   It goes something like this:   These Finding Bigfoot types think they can tell you what Bigfoot's favorite color is, what baseball team bigfoot cheers for and what it usually eats.    Every twig snap-which could easily be explained -has got to be bigfoot.   

image.jpeg.577f5777d9b031dd07bfaf1e6ec1007e.jpeg

This does massive damage to the serious study of the concept of bigfoot.  Any serious person who might think or lean toward Bigfoot will not want to be thrown in with people like this. They know they would end up looking as foolish.   The credibility is lacking, and the passion turns each twig snap into a 'squatch'

Despite the alternative hypothesis of a porcupine (which is very convincing and in my mind conclusive), Chris did not back down and revised his original claim, but instead created another video to support his claim.

This need to double down when presented with a more refined set of facts is a huge danger.  

In conclusion, wishful thinking and subjective biases are dangers that all long time researchers (who believe in the reality of sasquatch) have to deal with and be attentive to.

It all goes to the story where a man shown ink blot tests cards by his doctor:

Image result for in blot test

Doctor:  "What do you see?"   

Patient:  "Sex".   

(This happens for 10 pictures in a row).   

Doctor "You seem to have sex on your mind."   

Patient:  "Don't blame me, you are the one who is showing me all the dirty pictures."   

Until the Meldrums, and Munns. and others are allowed to be the face of the serious study of bigfoot, we will continue endure the Finding Bigfoot Embarrassment as the face of Bigfoot study.

Yeah, I don't see many elk hoax videos on YouTube

"OH look at the majesty! And that rack!"

film shows a shopping cart covered by a blanket with an old style TV antenna sticking up from handle! Lol