Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

The only tools I have seen that appeared to have recent uses, aren't really crafted tools at all, but just certain size & shaped rocks that were seemingly used to crack leg bones......to get the marrow snack. Mostly White Tail Deer legs, with the majority that look to have been hand-cracked, while others have been apparently cracked with rocks (females and younger individuals?). The scene is always the same, with the bone placed on a larger flat rock, and another used in the hand to crash down and break the bones.

I have some pictures of this, and will look through and find those to post.

Something with a hand is doing this, that's all I will say about it, and when I see them, they are usually of recent origin.

Edited by Bigtex

These are older pictures, but a good example of what I am talking about with respect to breaking bones with stones. Nothing obvious that screams out at me, but odd rock/bone formations for sure, and very unnatural looking 'live'.

Stay frosty out there guys, 'tis the season to be looking for snakes.........look how carefully this bad-boy was hiding, and would be your worst day hiking to get tagged by this fellow:) 

post-193-0-61947300-1402338791_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-45959500-1402338809_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-65053800-1402338828_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-46353200-1402338853_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-03504700-1402339293_thumb.jpg

Guest lightheart

Big Tex I am really enjoying your photos. It certainly does seem that there is a consistent pattern there with the rocks and bone. We don't have many rocks in FL but I have found some stones near some perfectly halved hickory nuts. An occasional rock seems to have been pried up out of the dirt trail and used to crack the nuts.

The snakes are everywhere in my area, Nothing like that big boy you snapped a picture of though. I saw three snakes on Sunday within 10 feet of each other near a water hole. The pygmy rattlers blend in with the leaf cover so well I have to be really careful. I have probably seen ten of them in the last three weekends. Squatching is definitely not for the timid.

BFF Patron

Bigtex, I had an idea looking at your pictures.      Have you thought of using water for the purpose of BF gifting?         Seems like water in that area is a precious commodity.      Put a large open container high in a tree where nothing small can get to it.      Here in Washington water is everywhere so would not be as valuable to BF as a gift.    Just a thought.      Randy

Just a thought, but a good one around these parts, especially in July & August. My backpacking days are pretty much over though due to lower back issues from a fracture earlier in life, so packing water to a location is not on my top 10 list. The number of suitable watering holes during summer are greatly reduced. One thing I have been leaving out there stuck high on branches are bags of Jack Link's Beef Jerky.......sounds silly, but it has a picture of him on it! Some have gone missing, but who knows by who.........just seems like a fun thing to do, and hopefully amusing if the big guy takes one:)

I will be heading up your way in August.....how close are you to Seattle and Granite Falls? Would absolutely love to link up with some BF natives in your neck of the woods.

BFF Patron

I am in SW WA in Clark County.     Seattle is 3 hours North and Granite Falls about 4.5 hours North.     I want to get on that Loop highway as the BF up there are aggressive and will show themselves.     The shy ones down here are harder to see. 

I was going through some older photos, wasn't sure if I posted these before, and too lazy to look back through. Worth a re-post anyway, and were taken directly under the bridge, aka The Funnel. This is a left foot and heading West into town. 

That's exactly what I wanna do......I will private email you about this, and already have a good spot picked out, and suggested by friends in Granite Falls.

post-193-0-21990200-1402422169_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-80093400-1402422197_thumb.jpg

Bigtex, did you get a measurement on that track, or a sense of size compared to the other prints visible in pic 1 ?

Hey BC, good to hear from you, and hope all is well with you & yours.

The water filled prints close together are smaller than the main one, and appeared to be the same individual coming & going. Notice the Wolf track (mine) and the Raccoon prints for comparison. The print was about the size of my size 9 bare foot but wider.

The larger prints that I find are seasonal - Fall & Spring, and the smaller ones like this one year round. This makes me think Races of these creatures worldwide, and a smaller Southern Race, with the bigger ones migrating through.

Sorry guys.......I'm real bad about measuring, and have never cast a print in my life......wolfy keeps me moving fast, just a quick pic or two and I'm off again. Not very scientific, but I've seen these creatures, I know they exist, and there are many more things in the wilds that interest me also:)

I'm doing great, thanks, and my family,too. Let me know when you're coming up to Wa., I'm actually closer to Granite Falls than Randy is, so we could possibly hook up for a day out together, if timing is right. If you can make it into BC, I could introduce you to some serious researchers here, maybe a day out near Harrison Lake. You do need a passport or equivalent "enhanced ID" to enter Canada these days, and more importantly for you, to get back into the US!

Edited by BC witness

Will do BC & Randy.......hopefully we can link up, sounds like fun, will get with you guys after I make a flight!

My main goal is to camp at a place off the Mountain Loop HWY near Granite Falls, and bring my special 'Species Specific' game cameras.

Edited by Bigtex

Gez.........been down with a summer cold-sinus infection for two weeks now, and a week since in the woods.....going stir-crazy!! 

Sorry to hear that, Bigtex. It only takes a week of not hitting the mtns/forest for me to get a serious case of cabin fever, so I certainly sympathize!

BFF Patron

Bigtex.  Maybe a relaxing day in the woods would fix you right up.    Sunshine, fresh air and all of that sometimes is better than staying indoors on a nice day.    Even if you just go sit in a chair.    I think sometimes we contaminate all the surfaces in our house and just keep reinfecting ourself when we have a bug for a long period of time.   I had Legionnaires disease one time and could barely walk I was so weak.     I was supposedly in recovery but had been sick for a month with several doctors and stronger and stronger antibiotics.     I had my wife drive me to the beach where I just sat and soaked in the sun and breathed the sea air one day.    I think that was the turning point and I got better in a few days.    Might give something like that a try if you take it easy.      

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic