Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Gotta be looking for these, they can hide really well......in fact, easier to look for the poop on the ground. This huge caterpillar is a Privet Hawk Moth, and a picture of the Moth. They mimic a Hummingbird in flight, thus scaring away most predators. Notice the huge fake stinger on the back of the caterpillar. 

post-193-0-48400700-1404857542_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-07320800-1404857570_thumb.jpg

Your dogs looking off into the distance sure makes me wish I had one again.    He died over a year ago and I just can't get over it enough to get another one.     I saw just this last night on the news where there smelling is 1000 times better than ours.    If there was a BF around they would know. 

There's some great dogs at every shelter...many are pit mixes.  Just get the one you love!  Pit bulls are GREAT dogs!  News media would have you believe otherwise..just like the squatch in your back yard.

BFF Patron

The wife needs a dog that does shed or she has serious allergy problems.    So we always have to have a hypoallergenic type dog which are usually smaller dogs.    

Poodles don't shed, even the full-size Standard Poodle, and are one of the most intelligent breeds. Portugese Water Dogs are similar, as they were originally a development from a Poodle/Lab type cross, hundreds of years ago. As both breeds are highly intelligent, they require lots of attention and training, or they will train you! Of course, that is true of most breeds, invest the time and effort in training, and they will be a joy to have around.

BFF Patron

Last dog was sick for three years with an autoimmune disease and nearly died several times before the final time, costing me thousands in medical bills.     Just not ready to chance going through that again quite yet.   

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of pics of the Bridge, aka The Funnel, leading from the wildlife preserve into my town. The creek to the right was used for a few years as a trail, but has become so thick and over grown that the new trail seems to be the one shown just to the left of the red line. The 3rd picture shows the trail entrance to the woods on the town side, with two red arrows pointing to interesting disturbances and/or tracks. Very near this location is a water source, and there are very few on the other side of the bridge this time of year.

Also, I meant to post the picture where I found a recent Deer kill, and shown several posts back. I had gone by there 2 or 3 days later, and not a trace of it anywhere.

post-193-0-57881100-1405951029_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-05149800-1405951045_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-19891800-1405951142_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-10764100-1405951591_thumb.jpg

I'm curious BigTex,...have you ever found deer (or other animal) remains wedged or hanging in a tree....in your area?

Hey HWM......hope you are doing well:) I haven't found anything up in a tree, but here are those Deer kill pics again, and the tree was apparently used to wedge and tear it apart, then totally gone 3 days later. This wedge 'n tear seems to be what the Coyotes are doing, the Mountain Lions are more careful hiding their kills, and rarely find those.

Here's another BF Trail picture on the town side, and near The Funnel, notice the well worn trail with high clearances.

Another place that I hike, and has become a great ambush area, is one of the local golf courses that closed 5 years ago. With it's now over grown fairways, it has become a Deer haven for feeding, especially at night. Some folks still use the golf cart trails for walking or cruising in their golf carts. The last picture is yet another tree pushed over to block the cart path.......as there are several trees blocking this trail that have been pushed over to block since closing.......seems to be too many for a coincidence. 

post-193-0-28447200-1405953264_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-39273300-1405953280_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-95920300-1405953295_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-52057600-1405953554_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-84368500-1405954011_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-67352000-1405954028_thumb.jpg

Yep, that deadfall across the cartpath sure doesn't give off the vibe of "just happened to be my time to fall", does it? 

Hey WSA.......thought so myself, that old golf course gets pretty wild at night, surrounded mostly by woods on all sides, and would be great great place to use a thermal, next on my list.

I was eyeing the type that Nathanfooter purchased, and Nathan....if you keep up with this thread, how would you rate the type you have, and any pros/cons you could offer? Thanks in advance:)

Your observations never fail to be interesting, Tex. I look at golf courses as great habitat/travel areas, due to typical water sources and lack of nocturnal human presence.

Doing well, BigTex....thanks....and thanks for re-posting the deer carcass before & after pics.  So,...my curiosity is piqued even more! I had no idea that coyotes would do that....wedging the deer carcass like that...almost wrapping around the tree...slightly.  When I see the lower portion of the hind legs remaining, yet still attached by skin and cartilage, I guess,.......it reminds me of the few deer remains I've found while scouting/hunting in past hunting trips...where there was always some small portion, at least,...either in the immediate vicinity or scattered nearby....(usually, the remains were several days old),.....but I've never found a fresh kill, such as what you've shown,...and been able to keep an eye on it for several days, so I could study how long it took for the carcass to disappear....completely. The "after" picture says a lot to me....especially since virtually no trace, except maybe hair,....remained.  Things that make one go.....Hmmmmmm!   (If the hindquarters had been ripped off - different story, huh?) Still......

Fascinated by the other photos, as well. Should be interesting to see if the adjoining "sister" tree ends up "falling" 180 degrees away from the existing downed tree....to fall across what appears to be the path the golf carts, joggers have formed around the blocked area. 

Thanks, again,....for sharing your research/observations......much appreciated!!    HWM  

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic