Sierra Shooting from A-Z

slabdog

Guest KentuckyApeman

Regarding some of my posts here, appologies to General and others, as it was not my intend to insult or demean anyone. This seems to be a hot button topic, so I'll move on to other threads.

Guest slimwitless

If Justin and the driver are engaged in a hoax it is more clever than it first appears. They have many folks emotions jacked up and questioning the ethics embedded in their story, and not the very truth of their story.

That's true. More importantly, they possess a flesh sample Ketchum believes comes from a real-life (but decidedly dead) bigfoot. There's also the question of the blood evidence from the juvenile - the status of which remains deliberately murky (or so it seems).

Edited by slimwitless

Not saying that they are lying but we aren't allowed to question the veracity of any report on here if the subject of a report is a member here.

My personal threshold of proof hasn't been hit yet, but there's potential.

Tim B.

Howdy Tim,

We can't call a member a liar/hoaxer/whatever, but we can press for more details or point out and ask for clarification of discrepancies or contradictions. You're still free to make your own judgment on a member's veracity. Remember that most folks who make such claims are looking for attention. Why give it to them? Attack the claim, not the claimant, to paraphrase a common admonition here. Make up your mind, let others do the same, and carry on. Don't give them the satisfaction, so to speak.

Edited by Bonehead74

I do not buy this story for a second..Details are dodgy at best..Whether it is attention the players seek..Or some gas money from a future book?..It is saddening to see peoples emotions sucked in by these preposterous claims(my humble opinion of course)..We all stay tuned..Peace :)

Bipedalist,

Justin, in the interview, said near Golden Lake....He meant Gold Lake, I think. That is in the Sierra Nevada north of Donner Pass, in Sierra County, in Plumas National Forest, in California. The altitude is about 7K - 8k feet.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Van Lawick-Goodall: The Behavior of Chimpanzees in their Natural Habitat pg 113

"There are also similarities in the aggressive behaviors of man and chimpanzee. A quick upward jerk or a waving of the arm serves as a threat in both species,as may a level stare directed unwaveringly at a subordinate. A chimpanzee may adopt an upright posture when threatening and wave his arms above his head as he advances on the object that has elicited his aggression.He may throw objects overarm or underhand toward his victim. He may brandish a stick or make deliberate clubbing movements."

Just thought I would toss that out there,as a potential alternative to the "don't shoot" interpretation of the adults behavior.

Yep, I must be on ignore, I've been tossing it out there, but some chose to read "surrender" into the waving arm motion, including Justin.

No problem John, it all falls back on intent anyway. No matter, if something over 7 feet tall was approaching fast with their arms waving I don't think "surrender" would be what came to my mind first. I don't have a good feel for landmarks and terrain based on what has been told so far so I can't say what I would have done. I think If I couldn't back the truck up, I would have taken the shot, but I don't know for sure.

BFF Patron

Bipedalist,

Justin, in the interview, said near Golden Lake....He meant Gold Lake, I think. That is in the Sierra Nevada north of Donner Pass, in Sierra County, in Plumas National Forest, in California. The altitude is about 7K - 8k feet.

Why are you telling me this, I've known it for two or more months? I don't see a post of mine that is even relevant? Sure you got the right poster?

And personally (knowing it will never be proven and jmho), I don't buy the "aggressive hand/arm-waving" at 80 or 90 yards is gonna necessitate a shoot to kill decision even if it was aggressive, which I think it was not.

As I said there will never be proof.....unless the spoken of cell phone pictures materialize. But since driver wasn't carrying the rifle and had binoculars instead I don't see that happening.

Guest FuriousGeorge

Does anyone know if gorillas went through the same type of thing (as far as being shot at) before they were a well known species? I'm asking because I'm hopeful that once bf is classified, it will lose it's "monster" reputation over time and people with firearms might realize that there is not as much of a threat. I'm hopeful a little more clarity might allow for cooler heads to prevail. If this were to ever happen again, it would still be scary to have one run with it's arms up in the air, but some might realize it's only a mock charge (if proven to be - just a guess) and get back in the truck, instead of pulling the trigger. If one person with a gun is more informed and doesn't shoot in the future, it's a bonus.

Does anyone know if gorillas went through the same type of thing (as far as being shot at) before they were a well known species?

Gorillas have been known about for thousands of years, and certainly for many hundreds of years by westerners. It is a common misconception that they are a recent discovery. So many people think that the only type of gorilla is the mountain gorilla, whereas there are actually tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lowland gorillas (eastern and western.......two distinct species, each with further sub-species, I believe). The first mountain gorillas were only found 100 years or so ago. There certainly were many people who went out shooting gorillas in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and their reputation amongst the public was as a big fierce monster. The actuallity that it's a gentle herbivore took a recent incident with a child falling into a gorilla enclosure in a zoo to become widly accepted. I hope to goodness that we never end up with a sasquatch in a cage.......

Mike

Until I got seriously interested in bigfoot, I hadn't read up on primates much, or the research involved in intelligence and cognition. Since then, it really bothers me to see higher primates in zoos. When I look at the gorillas I see a very bored individual cooped up in an area about the size of a large yard, it must be awful for them unless they are born in captivity.

One gorilla I saw had figured out a way to entertain himself. He would wait until a crowd appeared and would make a big fuss holding and kissing a doll. Once the crowd got big enough, he would suddenly fling the doll down and (I can't say it because it's against the forum rules) but to put it delicately, he would violate it just to hear the crowd scream, then he would walk off snort laughing. I think I was the only other human laughing along with him. They are smart creatures.

Until I got seriously interested in bigfoot, I hadn't read up on primates much, or the research involved in intelligence and cognition. Since then, it really bothers me to see higher primates in zoos. When I look at the gorillas I see a very bored individual cooped up in an area about the size of a large yard, it must be awful for them unless they are born in captivity.

One gorilla I saw had figured out a way to entertain himself. He would wait until a crowd appeared and would make a big fuss holding and kissing a doll. Once the crowd got big enough, he would suddenly fling the doll down and (I can't say it because it's against the forum rules) but to put it delicately, he would violate it just to hear the crowd scream, then he would walk off snort laughing. I think I was the only other human laughing along with him. They are smart creatures.

Not smart enough to get out. :D

I remember when I was young there was a captive gorilla at an discount store called the B & I in Tacoma WA. They kept him in a small area with glass on one side. It was pretty bad. He looked So **** bored! It was like you could plainly see intelligence on his face as he stared at people all day. I remember thinking what a horrible life. I know zoos are a great way to get close to animals but personally I can't stand them.

DR