The Deal With Dogs And Bigfoot...

Guest VioletX

They learn the hard way because they have never experienced the hard way. I tend to agree with you, bigteddy. I imagine that carnivores are competition in the food chain for Sasquatch. Perhaps they are even on a Sasquatch menu? :)

Edited by FuriousGeorge
Removed a sentence in violation of rule 2A

James, well we have reports of bigfoots eating domestic dogs so that is another probable cause for animosity. But, when a dog is killed and not eaten that is generally how a predator removes annoyance or competition. And speaking of differences between dog personalities, my german shepherd bitch Lady was always scared of the geese and swans at our local park, she would always give them a wide berth. My little terrier Dougie though would happily chase them back them into the water, when he did that Lady joined him, but when she was on her own she wouldn't go near them. It's when a dog that is usually cautious and sensible around strange creatures meets a dog that has a high prey drive or is just flat out stupid that it can get into trouble with bigfoot. I'd bet lots of dogs have paid the price for there packmates ignorance towards these creatures.

• 5 months later...

“Following tracks with dogs has proven futile, as the dogs that do not immediately put their tails between their legs are unable to keep up with the maker of the tracks, or else are found wounded or dead.â€

(Source: Raincoast Sasquatch, p. 283)

This conclusion from Robert Alley is consistent with previous posts.

The story that Branco tells above about the hog hunting dog incident also supports it.

But, can tracking dogs be used to track BF or not? Has anybody done it?

What would be the best dog breed to track BF?

They hate dogs because

1. Dogs resemble coyotes and wolves, everything hates coyotes and wolves. They eat herbivores and harass carnivores. They are despised by other creatures.

2. Dogs are noisy, they bark at intruders, and too a creature that relies on stealth this is bad news

3. Dogs are idiots, they attack much bigger, stronger animals because they don't know the danger. Theres a story from Michigan of a black bear walking through a families garden, there american bulldog attacked it. The bear quickly killed it. Theres videos of dogs barking and biting at elephants. My old little terrier dog used to pick fights with rottweilers and other bigger dogs. Some dogs are sensible, they recognize dangerous animals and avoid them. Some though, just have to learn the hard way.

Dogs will absolutely attack larger animals. My dog did and paid the price...although he lived. My dog was a smaller terrier...a Westy...and he attacked an Akita.

I sure wish someone who thinks that their dog could track a BF would put a critter cam on one and see what they get.

An alpha is going to get hurt but a more reserved dog might think twice before chasing something down.

James, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Training AND personality.

A dog who is obedient and subservient to it's master (the leader of the pack) might just make better choices when confronted with something like a bigfoot than an alpha who is used to running the show and having his/her own way. My family has always had large dogs - labs, retrievers, labradoodles. My dad's dog is supremely well trained - and he's 120 lbs of English purebred lab. My mom's dog runs the show (and failed obedience class three times, lol) and gets into mischief - but they still take her camping. I hate to see people pulling on leashes trying to control their dogs, or using little tiny neck collars. I've seen my mom's dog pull her off her feet and drag her on the leash. That dog jumped at me ONCE to put her paws on my shoulders and I stuck up my knee and gave her a GOOD smash in the chest which knocked her on her back... and she has NEVER done anything like that with me again.

I am hoping to get a companion animal for my special needs son soon, and you better believe that dog will know who is ithe boss (that would be me - the QBIC - "queen b in charge" lol). I will take it hiking and on walkabouts.... on a leash. The kids are the wild ones, I expect the dog at least to behave! It will be there to keep us safe, not put us in more danger.

Dogs, and I would imagine BF, all have different 'personalities' (for lack of a better word.) Some are more aggressive, some more submissive. Bigteddy kinda summed it up pretty well above^. I know there is proof of dogs playing with polar bears but ultimately, most predators will view dogs as annoying.

As far as chasing game - it is very stressful to the wildlife and in my state the dog can be destroyed for doing so. State laws on dogs chasing game.

I've also had the neighbor's pitbull come over to my place and kill turkeys before. Next time I see that dog it will be shot! Kudos to those who keep their dogs under control.

Dogs will absolutely attack larger animals. My dog did and paid the price...although he lived. My dog was a smaller terrier...a Westy...and he attacked an Akita.

I am sorry to hear that, I hope he's alright, and my Scottish terrier was just an idiot, he used to run at the rottweiler across the street and try to fight him, he would chase cows and horses and just didn't care about the risk, he was like that since he was a pup. My german shepherd was the complete opposite, she never chased things or tried to fight with other dogs and she was totally obedient, but she used to try and imitate the Scottie, usually she didn't care if there was another dog around her, but Dougie used to go nuts about it, and she'd join in with him when he did. Dogs being pack animals tend to take cues from each other, so one dog goes chasing after a squatch, they all will pitch in, and if they don't wise up they could wind up dead.

It only takes one idiot to ruin everyone else s day, as the old saying goes.

I sure wish someone who thinks that their dog could track a BF would put a critter cam on one and see what they get.

Yahtzee!!!

Yahtzee!!!

Better yet, put the cam on the canine, but have the canine trained to chase the BF so far....and then high tail it to the rear trenches...... known as coming back to papa, where papa could pull a :aikido: on the BF.

I am sorry to hear that, I hope he's alright, and my Scottish terrier was just an idiot, he used to run at the rottweiler across the street and try to fight him, he would chase cows and horses and just didn't care about the risk, he was like that since he was a pup. My german shepherd was the complete opposite, she never chased things or tried to fight with other dogs and she was totally obedient, but she used to try and imitate the Scottie, usually she didn't care if there was another dog around her, but Dougie used to go nuts about it, and she'd join in with him when he did. Dogs being pack animals tend to take cues from each other, so one dog goes chasing after a squatch, they all will pitch in, and if they don't wise up they could wind up dead.

It only takes one idiot to ruin everyone else s day, as the old saying goes.

Basically, the Westy is a scottish terrier. They are hunters and have very strong hunting instincts. I have seen my dog try and chase squirls up a tree and he also goes for birds. They are extremely territorial as well..that's what triggered the Akita attack. He went for the under belly of an Akita who was in his domain (bad move) and the dog got off a bite into his side. I didn't find it out until some time later...he was ok and had a superficial bite that required drainage.

Edited by ronn1

I'm out in the woods of Ontario. Every day.

My dog is with me. Every day.

I don't believe in bigfoot.

Neither does my dog.

Now those northern rattlers, that's another story.

I have always thought that Sasquatch do not like dogs { fo the most part } becuase dogs have the ability to smell and pick out anything nearby with ease, and when you are a sasquatch following and watching a human in your area being undetected is the number 1 goal. Dogs can take the stealth factor away from sasquatch so in tern they have a dislike for anything that picks them out or blows thier cover.

I know that if I was trying to sneek up on someone in the forest to make sure they where not a threat I would really would hate for a dog to be there at his side. I can also see how a dog would be considered a threat to a family units security.

My experience has been just the opposite. I have taken my Karelian Bear Dog to every location that I investigate. Her ears and nose are just phenomenal. Many times she has alerted me to possible activity.

But it also depends on the breed of dog and how well trained they are. My dog never barks in the woods (unless she trees a ****). She has been with me in my main research area for over 8 years and during that time I have found 6 set of footprints and had a daylight sighting.

And on the flip side I believe that sasquatch frequent homes and farms where dogs are present. Do they come by to tease and irritate the dogs or just to steal dog food? No one knows for sure.

Two of the best sets of recordings that I obtained I believe were partly as a result of having a dog at my home.

Just go through the thousands of published bigfoot reports and see how many times dogs were involved. Those people having a dog on the home place doesn't seem to decrease the activity.

Guest VioletX

That is nice to know Stan that dogs do not have to be a detriment to research, and I believe your dog is better trained than mine who will bark in the woods.

I do think he has almost an extra sense about what he is barking at, has different attitudes depending on what is out there from rabbit to deer to a very agressive bark for possible Sasquatch related activity.

My dog constantly alerts me to things may have missed and he is good protection.