The Deal With Dogs And Bigfoot...

Guest VioletX

Guest Luckyfoot

^^^ My College roommate and I were camping with other friends back in the day. While sitting around the campfire, my roommate bent over to pet this dog of a friend we had known for years and years. The dog bit Josh's face. Ruined his face. Ruined a friendship. Dog destroyed. Nothing had happened to spook the dog. It was a perfectly fine, well trained dog. Yet that happened.

I don't care if your dog has perfect voice command skills. What you are doing is still illegal. Some National Parks don't even allow them in some areas on the trail.

"Pets are not permitted on trails or in the backcountry." Rocky Mtn National Park - http://www.petfriend.../national_parks

There certainly are places where it is appropriate to let your dog off the leash and play fetch. I care for a dog "Max" once in awhile and do that, where it is legal in the Forest.

Did your dog respond to voice commands when it "chased a deer"? If you knew the stress that puts on any ungulate, you'd be agreeing with me.

Mountains and molehills and all that.

Do you religiously hold to the speed limit ? If not you are much more guilty of anything I do. Or having a dog off leash in the forest.

Imagine the "Terror" of running into a well trained animal in the forest.

Don't get me wrong. I completely believe in responsibility. I believe it's every dog owner's responsibility to make sure the dog doesn't attack or bite anyone. That's not a hard task , and quite common. Beyond that everything else is elementary.

True story. I camped out @ Yosemite 2 years ago with the dog. Played with him offleash in the stream running through the campground and talked the forest service guy about trails while doing so . Nothing happened.

I realized I had mentioned the magic "trip" word to someone from Colorado after my previous post. I hope yur not holding a grudge 'cuz I gots a pitbull.

-fwiw- I've been posting for a little while and lurking longer, I never remember disagreeing with you on anything , really, you seem like a decent enough person, I just don't agree with you on this point.

Julio, Oh my.. Can you imagine what that dog thought? Being in a cage and at the mercy of a creature? Poor dog. And then anyone having their dog thrown at them? That's a message for sure that I would take seriously. They are lucky pooches. Regarding a dog off a leash. I readily agree with a dog on a leash at all times in a park. I have taught my son never to touch another person's dog. even if they say it is ok. I saw some kid petting a dog next door here, and that kid had 27 stitches in his arm a few hours later. The dog went nuts for some reason. I dunno. Hard call on it. I just don't trust anyone's dog that ain't mine. I would keep my dog on a leash in a park or forest preserve.

BTW, I take my cats camping with me and they are on a leash at all times out of the camper. The kitties love camping. If something scares them, they wear a body harness and I can just pull them up by the leash, swing em right into the open camper door. Presto, they're safe.... Lol...Never had to do it yet, but that is my plan of action if it happens .. Next thing you know, there's 7 dogs chasing them in the camper and having a party. .. ..

Guest COGrizzly

LuckyFoot -

My grief was mostly with your dog chasing a deer. It causes tremendous stress to deer and elk - evidently so much so that they can die. I had a tough time believing this (during elk calving season, most trails are closed), so I contacted a CDOW officer this spring. He said that even outside of calving season, it can stress out an ungulate so much so that the have heart attacks. So he said.

Most of my friends have dogs and I get on their case about it too. Just the other night, we ordered take out. My buddy opens the door and his 2 dogs immediately surrounded the guy. I got on my buddies case about it, saying that wasnt cool.

I also have friends who have Pits. Super sweet dog with everyone he knows - but is aggressive with other dogs, even on a leash,

And I have to admit, I've had a history of negative things happening to me with dogs. Big time. Then one even happened again today. So, I am overly sensitive about the topic for sure. My bad. Sorry, in looking back to the posts, I was a little hardcore about it.

Sounds to me that you do leash your dog and/or are a responsible dog owner. I even thanked you for leashing your dog.

Many dog owners don't "lead the pack" and that's where the trouble starts. An animal that has been fed and sheltered its whole life and has the misperception of being in charge is a bad mix with any wild animal, worst of all an 8 foot tall primate. A sheltered dog, obedient or not, still has a pack mentality. I'd be pretty selective about when to let a dog off its leash. I think the difference in reactions that people report in their dogs is due to the individual dog's perceived place in the pack. An alpha is going to get hurt but a more reserved dog might think twice before chasing something down.

I never had a problem with my late chocolate lab. She knew the boundries of the campsite and would not leave them.

She passed away 2 years ago with cancer, she was 14.

Last year I got a 3 year old black lab. She is as hyper as a 6 mo pup!

She has been camping once, on the leash the whole time.

She was glad to come back home as I discovered while camping she is afraid of the dark.

Guest Luckyfoot

LuckyFoot -

My grief was mostly with your dog chasing a deer. It causes tremendous stress to deer and elk - evidently so much so that they can die. I had a tough time believing this (during elk calving season, most trails are closed), so I contacted a CDOW officer this spring. He said that even outside of calving season, it can stress out an ungulate so much so that the have heart attacks. So he said.

I can appreciate that. It's not a regular practice. I'm not a crueI person and while I enjoy firearms- not a hunter. The dog will take off after large wild animals - a demonstration of his bravery- and to answer your question from previous, he can be recalled. As heroic as I might think it is , I don't want him taking a hoof to the mellon. Or worse.

To tie this all back to O.P. :

I feel comfortable with my dog in the woods. In fact if/when I do go a 'squatchin I think I would prefer him with me. His heightened sense of awareness makes me feel a little better. He's really good with people so I am curious how he would respond. Human or Animal ?

Guest COGrizzly

Thanks Luckyfoot. And sorry for being abrasive.

And to the OP - although I am not a dog fan, I have been around them all my life. It's like a cruel joke from God to me. Some have mentioned that their reaction would be different from their breed. And the reaction of certain Sasquatches to the dog may be different.

However - of all the reports I have read, all have them report the dog whining and coming back to the owner frightened, tail between the legs.

Guest VioletX

COGrizz-thanks for letting us know about the deers reactions to being chased-I had no idea.

Now I need to get caught up on this thread, interesting stories so far. Poor crated dog though, Julio!

I wonder if having a dog along will deter interaction with Sasquatches.

Anyone see those vids of the huskies interacting and "playing" with the polar bears? It could happen, as long as the dogs are not aggressive but subservient/passive.

Guest VioletX

Thanks Luckyfoot. And sorry for being abrasive.

And to the OP - although I am not a dog fan, I have been around them all my life. It's like a cruel joke from God to me. Some have mentioned that their reaction would be different from their breed. And the reaction of certain Sasquatches to the dog may be different.

However - of all the reports I have read, all have them report the dog whining and coming back to the owner frightened, tail between the legs.

Lol, "frightened, tail between legs.", that sounds like the dog equivalent to most of the human/Bigfoot encounters you hear about.

Edited by VioletX

Guest talithamouse

I love dog's and it's my job to care for a whole lot of them, hanging out, walking. Spending weeks on end with them. It's great, however.. but not so fun when you have your bunch (or one) in control and end up getting bitten by a unleashed dog getting up in your grill! When I'm camping close in to others or someone shows up with a dog, and it's not under control and in my space, I own it. It gets leashed, chained and locked to a tree. When the sad looking and bewildered owner comes by and see's their pet in jail. I calmly tell them...Geez I thought it was lost... and that I called the ranger already.. and that they really should leash it their dog and that it cannot come over here anymore. And sorry but next time, if it does come back, I will need to take it to the ranger. If they give me any grief, it's straight to the ranger. Mostly people want to get along, they love their dog and want it safe. Mostly folks are so happy to see their dog safe with water and food. Even if chained to a tree in a crazy persons camp....nuf said.

Guest Luckyfoot

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well done Tali. I know we're not s'posed to speculate on on users identities, but that sounds very "Cesar Milan" of you.

Guest VioletX

But Luckyfoot it can't be Caeser, he walks his entire pack of 20+ dogs with no leash ; } Although he may have an exemption, you know, being Caeser....

Personally, I always keep my dog on a lead (I'm Scottish, here it's a lead, not a leash haha) but, without going off topic, people really need to remember how good a dogs senses are. When it comes to hearing or smell, they're in a totally different league from humans, and for that reason they can be very helpful in a cast array of tasks. How that relates to Sasquatch though I'm not so sure, my dogs afraid of traffic cones, and the biggest thing he's ever come across whilst out on a walk was a cow!

• 2 weeks later...

They hate dogs because

1. Dogs resemble coyotes and wolves, everything hates coyotes and wolves. They eat herbivores and harass carnivores. They are despised by other creatures.

2. Dogs are noisy, they bark at intruders, and too a creature that relies on stealth this is bad news

3. Dogs are idiots, they attack much bigger, stronger animals because they don't know the danger. Theres a story from Michigan of a black bear walking through a families garden, there american bulldog attacked it. The bear quickly killed it. Theres videos of dogs barking and biting at elephants. My old little terrier dog used to pick fights with rottweilers and other bigger dogs. Some dogs are sensible, they recognize dangerous animals and avoid them. Some though, just have to learn the hard way.