Out Of The Box Expedition Tactics

I think the forest service might have something to say about CAS used on national forests.....

Just saying.

Guest keninsc

Oh that's not a problem, you just make a practice run on their office and that should take care of the problem.

out of the box......OK....but an "in a box" idea.

if there was a  hot spot area near an access trail I still say there's a way to play on the reported  curious nature if a guy had the $$ to build it.

rig up a  small trailer boxed in with a steel frame and covered in  plexi glass.

inside have a battery  powered ( preferably  solar charged )  dvd player , a flat screen, speakers and motion activated cameras (facing out with holes in the plexiglass for the photo eye on any motion sensors)  along with sound recorders .

and being serious here.....pull the rig in with an atv, drop it off . then at night  play "adult oriented" video on a loop, turned up for all creatures to hear and see with the recorders and cameras ready for action

if they like to find us, and if they have human tendencies that could draw their attention ( kind of like the "fake campsite observed from a distance" idea some may use ) ..... while it may not get proof, perhaps a little evidence  like prints on the plexiglass and pics to boot.

same set up could be viewed from a distance downwind with a camera , rifle, ( calling in those air strikes lol ) etc......... just a thought.

Edited by Doc Holliday

The best idea is the old Leopard hunting trick.

5 people go into an area, one of them hides, but only 4 leave.

when the 4 leave they make a bunch of noise and trick the creature into thinking everyone left.

This tactic has worked for Leopard hunters, they will take 5 people into a blind, but only 4 leave the blind, the Leopard assumes everyone left.

SSR Team

That might work in many areas Drew, but it won't on others.

I know that there are certain areas in the PNW that a certain Dr habituates where the Sasquatches speak English to him so I doubt if they'd have trouble with basic math like that..;)

Guest LarryP

The best idea is the old Leopard hunting trick.

5 people go into an area, one of them hides, but only 4 leave.

when the 4 leave they make a bunch of noise and trick the creature into thinking everyone left.

This tactic has worked for Leopard hunters, they will take 5 people into a blind, but only 4 leave the blind, the Leopard assumes everyone left.

You're underestimating the intelligence of both Leopards and Bigfoot in one statement.

How is that tactic underestimating the Leopard's intelligence? It is by far the most complex hunting tactic of any of Africa's game, and it is a testament to the intelligence of the creature.  As far as Bigfoot goes, we really don't know do we? how intelligent they are.  Any comments to the actual level of intelligence are just stories until we can actually study them.  Am I right?

Guest LarryP

As far as Bigfoot goes, we really don't know do we? how intelligent they are.  Any comments to the actual level of intelligence are just stories until we can actually study them. 

All I can go off of is my experiences with them. And based on that I can tell you that some of them are far more intelligent than your average human.

Guest SquatchinNY

Oh that's not a problem, you just make a practice run on their office and that should take care of the problem.

And get the feds swarming the site?

Just saying.

I say get a squad of predator drones, equipped with hellfire missiles and top notch operators. Thermal scan huge swaths of forest until you locate one, than blow the snot out of it. Should be a tooth or two left to identify...maybe.

Edited by SquatchinNY

SSR Team

As far as Bigfoot goes, we really don't know do we? how intelligent they are.  Any comments to the actual level of intelligence are just stories until we can actually study them.  Am I right?

We don't know precisely you're right, but we know something.

Surely we'd have to lean on giving them rather high intelligence based solely on ten fact that they've gone unnoticed right under the nose of 400m plus people on the continent of North America for x amount of years ?

We know that much don't we.

That surely deserves a bit of credit if nothing else ?

And that credit would be admitting or understanding that they intelligence beyond any animal out there in their own environment and I think I'd go as far as even including humans in that.

Guest keninsc

And get the feds swarming the site?

Just saying.

I say get a squad of predator drones, equipped with hellfire missiles and top notch operators. Thermal scan huge swaths of forest until you locate one, than blow the snot out of it. Should be a tooth or two left to identify...maybe.

Oh yeah, that will draw a lot less attention from the Federalies. 

Guest JiggyPotamus

I maintain that one of the best ways to get results is to enter areas where these animals do not wish you to be. That is not helpful at all, considering that if we knew where they were to begin with things would be easier. But if one can determine, through paying attention to their surroundings, where bigfoot have been calling home, and then focusing strictly on that area, the chances of success are somewhat increased. I used to think that luring them in was the best way to go, and maybe it is, but it is so unpredictable.

I reached my conclusions strictly by researching sighting reports. One common thread is that sasquatch will attempt to intimidate people when those people have entered a certain forested area, which is hypothesized to be some type of temporary habitation for the animals. They will throw things, make intimidating and loud noises, shake tree trunks with awesome force, among other less common tactics. They will relentlessly keep this up until the person complies and vacates that area, and often they are followed at some distance by the animal, who remains in cover but is clearly still following, usually determined through sounds of some type such as footsteps. These intimidation tactics are ratcheted up significantly once the sun sets. I will never forget the story of the guy who I think got lost and was harassed in such a manner. He was scared and it was getting dark and he sat down and leaned back against a tree, and these animals moved in much closer and were basically circling him. It has been a very long time since I've read that report but I think that is what occurred.

If you don't have a clue as to where they would be, then it truly is all about luck. Or mostly about luck. Personally I would never try call blasting or tree knocking unless it was a last ditch effort. I would just try to cover some ground until I had something happen that was out of the ordinary. Whether it be the sounds of movement or something else. If you wish to try to draw them in I think the best way is to appeal to their natural instincts. Draw them in with food. Food is a strong motivator for animals. There are accounts of someone cooking over an open fire and having sasquatch approach, but again it is hit and miss. If there are no sasquatch in the area to begin with then obviously drawing them in is out of the question.

Something that many people seem to overlook is that the deeper you go into the woods, the better the chances of having an encounter. At least in my opinion. I believe this because I think sasquatch would be more densely populated the further they are from humanity. There are not going to be as many animals that hang around nearer to cities or towns, simply because for an animal who wishes to avoid people this is more easily done if there are no people around to begin with. Known and established trails, while sasquatch might occasionally use them, also just seem to be another sign of humanity that they might avoid. I don't know that for a fact but it seems understandable that they would make the connection that people go here, and therefore they stay away more often than not.

And if their breeding season is in the fall, I would also expect them to move further inland, deeper into the woods. This is of course if they view humans as being potential predators or something, as they would want to protect their offspring. But their avoidance instinct or behavior seems suggestive enough, meaning that they need not fear humans to avoid them, and they very well might not want a human anywhere near their babies. I would imagine that sasquatch have babies year round, but I don't know. Living in the wild perhaps they only do the dirty in the warmer months, meaning they would give birth months later. But I don't think they would want to have babies during the winter months, so depending on the period of gestation, one could maybe determine when the breeding season is. That is an interesting topic to pursue in my opinion.

If they carry a baby for 9 months, and they wouldn't wish to have them in the winter when it is cold and the baby could die due to the cold and lack of food, then perhaps they would get pregnant in the winter or at the end of it, but that would put the baby being born relatively close to the next winter I would think. This is all speculation, but my point is that if one could determine certain things about them, it may aid in finding them.

• 11 months later...

Here's an out of the box expedition tactic. Has anyone ever tried using dowsing rods to find a BF?

Years ago when I was out looking for BF I met a deer hunter that was using dowsing rods. I didn't believe dowsing rods worked so I asked him if he could find any elk in the area? So he did a 360 and got a hit and off into the woods we went. We walked maybe a quarter of a mile heading towards this steep canyon when we came across a bunch of fresh elk droppings and tracks. I was impressed and didn't feel like continuing down into the canyon to see the elk. So since I messed up his deer hunting I invited him over to my property to hunt deer. 

So short story long, I met him first thing in the morning the next day at my house. I had no idea if any deer were on my property or where. So I asked him if he could find where the deer are? He pulled out his dowsing rods and did a 360 and got a hit along the southside of my property. So we walked westward up my hill then followed the trail north and back around to the south. The whole time the dowsing rods never moved from that southward direction. As we came around the corner and faced south there were two does standing there.

I thought that was incredible! That guy has never been on my property before and I didn't even know where the deer were. So I asked him if he could find a BF? He said no, because he's never seen a BF. He said if I've seen a BF then I could use the dowsing rods. So first I tried the dowsing rods to find the two does but it never worked for me. I guess I don't have the gift. But if someone else does and has seen a BF, who knows?