Out Of The Box Expedition Tactics

Guest DTRobers

I think that zman1967 makes a good point when he postulates road-kill as an attractant to highways. In the wild predation is

a cost/benefit analysis between calories expended and calories ingested. A predator or omnivore clever enough to make the

connection between roads and road-kill could find it very profitable to cruise the pavement in search of protein. So lets

put away the disco balls and fireworks. Roadtrip!

SSR Team

Easy meals..

Guest OntarioSquatch

I have not seen any proper analytical study of what approaches work best.  I suspect that BFRO has a huge database from all their expeditions that they could analyze and extract how fruitful it was to wood knock and howl and what worked best.

NAWAC just published their monograph, but they did not analyze what conditions or methods were more likely to yield a sighting and they gave up on game cameras. Was it random?

I think random visits to hot spots is not very fruitful.  I think being present all the time (like NAWAC does during the summers) is the better approach.

Granted, for local researchers who need to work for a living that is not a feasible alternative.  So frequent and repetitive visits to the local hot spot is the next best option.

There's definitely something to the idea of having a constant presence. The Sasquatch in the Area-X/Kiamichi mountains area will only interact if people stay there long enough. I suspect it's the same sort of thing in other places as well. If it's true, it could mean that just camping out in the woods for a few days isn't enough because apparently these creatures are willing to lay low for a certain amount of time before they try to get people to leave.

A mirror with a small hole drilled in it(you have to have a special drill bit for glass) big enough to have a small camera lens see through from the back.  A mirror placed in front of  a video or game cam in such a way as to see over the mirror as well as the image in the mirror.  Game or video cameras placed up in trees 20' or so, looking down at about a 45 degree angle.  Solar patio lights strung up in trees as attractors. 

Seems like more activity  beginning the third night, if camping.  I think their curiosity begins to peak at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Gum, that 37% isn't actually a Sasquatches stat, it's a stat regarding the description of what the witnesses were doing when they had a sighting. and the Sasquatches more often than not were crossing roads yes, but not all.

Of those sightings where the witness was driving, 74% of them are when the animal was crossing the road.

There's reports of them in rivers, in clearcuts etc etc but the witness just happens to be driving. 

I am beginning to think there are great numbers of sightings reported by motorist has more to do with statistical chances rather food or any other reason put out here thus far. Vehicles make us witnesses highly mobile and we’re able to be in many places in a short time. They’ve always crossed roads and trails or stalked close by and the fact is there are more motor vehicles and people than ever before experienced in the history of the world thereby increasing chance opportunities for human and bipedal things to intersect.