Project Silent Hills - An Experiment By Mabrc And Apes

Redbone

Admin

I agree. A wooded environment with lots of foliage will dampen sound waves.

So a lot depends on the environment and season.

We have a starting point.What is great about this is now we can compare different conditions. I'd like to try it in a parking lot, with and against the wind. That should remove all the foliage variables. I lack the sound level detection equipment, but we can still experiment with sound recorders and/or parabolic mics.

Edited by Redbone

^ that's why I was thinking parking lot. Pavement should yield just about maximum distances.A grass field is also a needed test, but should yield shorter distances.. Everything else will have lots of variables. The more data we have the more predictable the distances get. Canyons could screw it all up...

Admin

Good idea. Unfortunately, all my recorders are on the field at this time... otherwise I'd help out.

Edited by gigantor

OT however, in line with the OP, went to the website and while there noticed the Project Bikini Bottom thread as well.

A few things published in the thread are somewhat perplexing with the main item being the (alleged) sighting of a BF at ~17:00 HRS which would have been in broad daylight at sunset for that estimated location* was ~20:30 HRS. With the plethora of photographs posted about this event what would be the explanation as to why no one got a photograph of the BF?

* http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/webdata/gagedata/GIBO2.20150717.html

I was not there so I can't say for certain, but I would speculate that it's because they were in moving boats when they saw it and was probably gone when they got positioned for another look.

Personally I have had one missed photo experience that is similar. I can't say for sure i saw a Bigfoot, but I know it was large, dark, and fast. I had been checking out an area with local sightings. I was carrying a walking stick with an action cam mounted at the top. It was recording at 30 frames per second.

I went down into a ravine that had a creek running through it. I looked all around for signs and found a spot to cross the creek. I was just getting to the top of the ravine on the other side when I heard branches breaking and something moving. I caught sight of whatever it was moving away. I swung my camera/walking stick to record whatever it was. It took less than a second for me to get the camera swung around and It caught NOTHING. Not a glimpse of anything. I saw with my eyes but my reaction was too slow to capture with a camera that was already turned on and recording.

My story of that encounter is here: http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/41373-weird-stuff-encounter-my-family-had-camping-in-northern-iowa/?p=865445

I'll bet they have a camera running the next time they take their boats into this area.

Edited by Redbone

RB,

Agreed that BF can be a tricky one to snap a picture of with blobsquatches apparently being the norm.

This group (in reading more on their site) has had more than a few BF sightings yet apparently no photographs have been attained as of this date.  Looks like NAWAC isn't the only bunch that has such bad luck in that department.

Guest JiggyPotamus

I suppose that could be very useful to some field researchers. My belief where wood-knocks are concerned are as follows: these knocks should not be presented as evidence unless there is visual confirmation of what creature is actually producing the sound. With more and more researchers and possibly random individuals producing such knocks in the woods, contamination and confusion are likely in some cases. Since we cannot know which cases are authentic and which are the result of such confusion, it is better to err on the side of caution. With that said however, such knocks are still useful, as I said, for research purposes and tracking down the source.

I'm not convinced they're always wood knocks.

I believe after reading tonnes of reports and speaking with people that have experienced this "knocking" that it's a combination of different stuff such as clapping, possible chest beating, mouth pops, all of which could be mistaken to be a wood knock, no doubt.

With a wood knock, we'd be talking about Sasquatches walking around with lumps of wood and in tell the reports I've read, and that runs into the thousands, I can't recall ever reading anyone seeing that.

It can't be as simplistic as that.

http://www.olympicproject.com/gorilla-chest-beat/

RB,

Agreed that BF can be a tricky one to snap a picture of with blobsquatches apparently being the norm.

This group (in reading more on their site) has had more than a few BF sightings yet apparently no photographs have been attained as of this date.  Looks like NAWAC isn't the only bunch that has such bad luck in that department.

Yes, tricky but not impossible.  A mutual friend has had several instances of pics being taken, some intentional and some totally by accident.  Some with a handheld cam and some with a game cam.  The friend also had video left in her yard that caught some very interesting subjects.

My avatar is one such crop of a larger pic that came from a game cam left in her yard.  It was taken on a summer afternoon.

• 3 weeks later...
BFF Patron

I'm not convinced they're always wood knocks.

I believe after reading tonnes of reports and speaking with people that have experienced this "knocking" that it's a combination of different stuff such as clapping, possible chest beating, mouth pops, all of which could be mistaken to be a wood knock, no doubt.

With a wood knock, we'd be talking about Sasquatches walking around with lumps of wood and in tell the reports I've read, and that runs into the thousands, I can't recall ever reading anyone seeing that.

It can't be as simplistic as that.

^ THIS........ I have recorded what sounded like loud mouth pops or tocks coming from multiple different directions in one example in close proximity to one another but separate and distinctly not the same individual making the noises.  I have my share of rock clacking recordings too but I'm not sure they are always using rocks either.  In that case, I have no idea how they replicate what sounds like rock clacks and don't lose much sleep thinking about it.

I think it would be cool to use the traditional maple wood block in the same experiment not just the plastic jam blocks.

I have had traditional maple wood block sounds replicated to the "T" a good distance away from where the stimulus was produced.  Again, how do they do that?

Edited by bipedalist

∆ I can make rock clack and wood knock sounds using my hands. If you have a smartphone I can message you a short video of how I do it and the sounds it produces if it will help you in your research. But the answer is yes, it can be done.