Getting Bf Information From People Who Work In The Woods.

georgerm

I'm considered passingly strange in most circles. Most likely because I dont hide my interest in the paranormal and especially Bigfoot. I just don't care what people think of my "interests". My wifes cousin is an interesting fellow. He was an Eagle scout, is a Lawyer, got an MBA, and when he got bored with his life he decided to become a U.S. Park Ranger. He spent two years in northern California out in the goonies before deciding he found whatever he was looking for and came back home too figure out where his wanderlust would take him next. He came over to my inlaws house to visit and when I had the chance I asked him half jokingly if he saw any Bigfoot. No sooner than I shut my mouth he jerked his head towards me and pointedly told me "there is no such thing as Bigfoot" and abruptly headed back to the kitchen where everyone else was. This from a guy who can't wait telling anyone or everyone about his latest adventures, usually with great embellishment. He will talk about his ideas about ghosts and UFO's until even I can't stand it anymore. I figured he would at least debate the subject, but from his reaction I knew this would not ever be a topic he would talk about. Ever. Maybe if I get him boozed up I might have a chance to bring it up again, but I doubt it.

I had the chance I asked him half jokingly if he saw any Bigfoot. No sooner than I shut my mouth he jerked his head towards me and pointedly told me "there is no such thing as Bigfoot" and abruptly headed back to the kitchen where everyone else was.

;

Well you tried and dropped it which is the right thing to do. My point is a point blank question puts the observer on the spot. I perfer the indirect method such as, "Do you think there is anything to these silly BF reports that we hear about?" Keep trying.................

There are many people who have spent their lives working in the woods and have never run across BF or BF evidence. Many times they don't know what to look for. My brother-in-law does lots of hiking and has never seen BF, and now he jokes with me about the subject. I tried to educate him but of couse this went no where. He did say while in his tent something from the outside pressed on his toe as if a deer put his big toe in its mouth. BF is a jokester and what else could have done this I asked him since deer don't do this.

Edited by georgerm

I forget the gents name, but he was a long time forest ranger, retired and began ranching buffalo I believe.

He had some wonderful stories about witnessing bf in the wild, in places that no one was or should be.

As far as the Gov employee 'cover-up' conspiracy goes....It's not that whatsoever. It's the individual's choice to let people think they are crazy, or just keep it to themselves. In the workplace, they don't want people talking about it because it hurts their credibility, and makes people question their psychological health. Imagine if you are working a case where your word could lock someone away in jail for 20 years, and the defense attorney finds out you are on the record stating you've seen a BF. Not a good thing. Plus, Rangers, Police Officers, F&W, etc view people that have a BF interest in a somewhat negative light, most of the time, and would rather not discuss things like that with strangers. I grew up with a few people employed by Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, whether Rangers, or just regular employees, my bro is a Game Warden, and I have a lot of friends who are Deputies, or reg Police, along with WL Biologists, loggers, and other WL professionals. There are tons of stories from a majority of them, but what happens is they can't talk about them because it either sheds negative light on them, or their specific dept. and the last thing any professionals would do is report it to a BF Org, basically because those people aren't versed in anything other than having an interest in them, and aren't qualified to do anything about it. Pretty simple, really. But cover-up...Nope!

I recommend Southern Comfort Spader,he will talk, and not even remember telling you.

For some reason, we southerner's are immune to Southern Comfort. I'll try Vodka, it is far more subtle mixed with any fruit juice. My Grandparents were from The Old country and there is always a bottle of Stolyichnia around.

A personal friend of mine has lived in the forest all his life, as have I (Skamania County). While he's not exactly the most connected friend that I have at my school, he's kept his sightings under a protective cover for a long time, mainly because of fear of being ridiculed and being made fun of by some of his friends. After finding out what that I was an active Bigfoot enthusiast, he told me some of his stories, as he's experienced a couple, one of which is quite frightening. He seemed like he was telling the truth and he was honestly scared and hurt by the encounter he had. I've told him many times too report it, but he'd rather just keep it under the sheets, as he thinks it's not worth the ridicule and jokes I get on a daily basis because of it. It's honestly terrible how closed minded people are nowadays.

There are tons of stories from a majority of them, but what happens is they can't talk about them because it either sheds negative light on them,

So they have told you BF stories or they haven't?

What you are stating basically describes the problem with BF research. We need people who are brave and will speak out so science can move forward. There are many who remain fearful of what others thinks so they can't be honest which is a form of deception. Feel sorry for people that have to live that way.

A witnesses must have confidence in your ability to keep a secret before they will disclose a BF story,

So they have told you BF stories or they haven't?

What you are stating basically describes the problem with BF research. We need people who are brave and will speak out so science can move forward. There are many who remain fearful of what others thinks so they can't be honest which is a form of deception. Feel sorry for people that have to live that way.

A witnesses must have confidence in your ability to keep a secret before they will disclose a BF story,

Obviously they've told HIM their stories, or parts of them, but not the wider community. It only becomes a "report" when it is made formally.

I come from a family that has logged Vancouver island for generations. Many of my relatives have spent their entire careers in the bush. Because of this I hear things that most people wouldn't get the chance too.

Firstly it surprises me how open to the subject many people in the logging field are. I always assumed they would be some of the biggest eye rollers out there because they are usually salt of the earth types who feel they know every inch of the woods they work in and that if the animal was there they would have seen it. That was my assumption, and perhaps that is the response many people inquiring receive. But being that they trust me because of my family many different loggers have been straight with me and what I've gathered is that many loggers not only believe in the possibility of the animal, But some have seen it for themselves. These people never tell anyone about it outside of a few close and trusted friends and if it weren't for knowing these men through a family connection I would have certainly never heard the story told.

The interesting thing to me about people who work in the bush and are open to the Sasquatch is that these men have perhaps more reason then most to not believe in it. They spend large amounts of time in the bush, most of their friends do the same and a large number of them also spend recreational time in the bush: fishing, hunting, hiking and other outdoors activities. They know how much open space is out there. They know how lonely those logging roads are at 5 am. They know how easy it would be for an intelligent animal to hear and see them coming long before they saw it.

Most of the men I've talked to are downright terrified of their stories being told, because of the ridicule involved. They could lose their jobs or at the very least their respectability if something like that got out, and yet here on Vancouver Island just about every forest worker I know knows somebody who has had an encounter. I got 4 reports alone last summer just asking a few questions to a few loggers I knew who pointed me in the direction of a guy they worked with who had seen one, or had heard what he thought was a Sasquatch.

For most people seeing a Sasquatch is a highlight to their lives, something they remember forever and most are grateful for the chance to see one. For many of the loggers I know its like the angel of death. They wish they hadn't seen it and feel as if it will only cause them problems.

Edited by adam777

Guest SnoTraveler

I keep my BF interest closely guarded for personal reasons, but have had interesting responses to carefully worded questions to people that may know something. My father-in-law has been an outdoorsman all of his life, rabid hunter, and had some interesting experiences that he did not attribute to anything in particular, just peculiar. His son, a forest consultant and former logger in Idaho, just smiled and said "no comment" when asked. This guy spent decades in the Idaho mountains, I think he knew what I was asking. A retired DOT supervisor told of a BF sighting in the '70's on a rural road in upstate NY, crossed right in front of his plow truck during a snow storm. My typical question is "what is the most unusual thing that you have seen or experienced while in the woods?". Hunters seem to be able to relate experiences that they can't directly attribute to a BF, but cannot explain otherwise, even with vast outdoor experience. I'm still a fence sitter, but there is something to this stuff.

Edited by SnoTraveler

Guest BFSleuth

If you want to talk to someone about BF sightings, find out where the train engineer's have a beer after work. Especially if they travel through mountains or forests.

My sister and her husband work for the railroad. BF or BF tracks are seen frequently on the line that goes through Stevens Pass.

Guest MJ151

BFS, that is interesting. I would have assumed you wouldn't see much from the train, given the speed at which they travel. But I guess going up hill they are slow enough to see pretty well. It would be pretty cool if you could get them to mark a topo for you some time.

I had a couple older friends who had worked the woods from Alaska down through Washington in the 60 and 70's. They had stories and would occasionally share them with me but that wasn't until after I had my encounter in an area they knew well that they did so. I asked what was the weirdest thing they had seen in the bush and they knew exactly what i was hinting at.

There is an Indian Reservation in North Dakota where the tribal Police Cheif keeps a map of sightings on the res on the wall in his office.

I am attempting to get a photo/copy of it, but have been having difficulties.

Forest Rangers and the like are pretty tight lipped for a reason. They lose tourism, they lose their jobs. It isn't in their interest to admit they've seen 'monsters' in the woods. Bears are undeniable, but mountain lions are not. 7 years ago my GF and I were hiking Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park. Spent several days in the back country, and while hiking along the Little Missouri River, we both saw a mountain lion, at about 50 yards in the middle of the river (river run's about 4" deep during the summer). We felt compelled to let the Rangers at the station know what we saw. The ranger we spoke with told us flat out that we were mistaken and there were no Mountain Lions in the park, haven't been for decades.

The last 2 years, employees of the park have been trapping and tagging mountain lions. I guess enough people finally reported them or snapped pics to get them to come clean. Same thing happened in Wisconsin over the past few years.