Getting Bf Information From People Who Work In The Woods.

georgerm

At my job I talk to people hiking the Appalacian Trail since the trail runs right in front of the business. I don't talk about BF directly, I start off by talking about strange animal sounds heard in the forest. It leads to other things from there. On one such occasion, a lone hiker said he heard a whoop whoop sound the night before. He stated he thought it was a person as it was only about 25 yards away in the forest, he kept expecting someone to walk into his camp, but instead the whooping continued at 10 minute intervals and moved deeper into the forest. I asked "was in followed by a sound similar to this?" (knock on the wood table with my nuckles). His eyes got big as saucers and said "yeah it did, what was it?"

Anyways, starting a conversation in that manner has also led to walking bear sightings, and a few Black Panther sightings from the hikers.

Yes, the better half had concerns and anxiety about walking with her Mom on the nature trails around here after her brother came forward with the sighting he had at his farm. I calmed her fears by telling her she could walk those trails all her life, and then some, and never see one and they don't attack humans out of the blue. She seems alright with it now and still goes walking with her Mom. It's amazing how just a little bit of education and reassurance can change someone's outlook.

So yes, people who depend on the wilderness for thier livelihood definately have a dog in the fight and reasons for concern.

Guest Peter O.

^^ Cool, WesT, are you on the section between Springer Mtn and Fontana Dam? That was the best hike of my life. No BF, unfortunately. Not even a bear.

On another note, if I heard whoops in the forest, I would *not* be expecting a *human* to walk into camp LOL.

Edited by Peter O.

Many witnesses will hide their sighting knowing that most people will never believe them and will just laugh. Sometimes these people are relieved to tell their story one on one without fear of ridicule.

On another note, if I heard whoops in the forest, I would *not* be expecting a *human* to walk into camp LOL.

And the look on his face when I told him what is thought to make that whooping sound interspersed with wood knocks?... priceless.

Guest Peter O.

LOL, yup.

edit: Have you listened to the Les Stroud interview that was on bigfootevidence? He heard short "whoops" like an ape on his Alaska program. Probably should be in another thread, but I just heard it, and now I'll know, from a credible source, what's definitely not human, bear, wolf, or coyote, out there. ...if I'm ever lucky enough to experience it...

edit2: though I guess Les qualifies as somebody who works in the woods. And has had 2 experiences, from what he says.

Edited by Peter O.

Oregon Public Broadcast had a story on hikers who walk the entire Pacific Crest Trail that is over 2000 miles long. It would be interesting to talk with some of the hikers. One could get on a hiker forum and question some of them. Many don't know what the signs are when BF is present.