Rudimentary Tool Use?

Guest lightheart

Guest lightheart

I once read a comment from Dr. Jeff Meldrum who asked the question, "If Sasquatch are Hominoid where is the stuff?  I have pondered this question for a long time and I am beginning to think that some of the stuff is there in plain sight. It is made of natural materials and therefore blends in to the surrounding environment as to be virtually invisible unless one is specifically looking for it.

Hypothesis:

I am consistently seeing what appear to be rudimentary tools.

(a) What I will call the hog bopper -      a 4 -4.5 foot piece of wood approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. These seem to be leaned against trees every so often in areas where one might commonly see large hogs or their piglets but not in other areas where hogs don't seem to frequent.

( B) What I call the y digger.  - These are consistently seen near areas where grubbing appears to be taking place. There are two types ...The short y where the stick is broken off only about 1 - 1.5 inches or so from the split. It makes a forked tool that almost has three prongs since the y is so short. The other variation is a longer y about 8 -10 inches long that seems to be for the same purpose when the soil is not so dense with grass material. The other version is more sturdy.

© What I call the long-pointed poker - These seem to be used to scoop out hollow trees and is often left in place.

Has anyone else observed this? Please folks this thread is not for discussing the reality or unreality of Sasquatch. There are plenty of other threads for that. 

Ok I wasn't getting cute LOL. The smiley face is supposed to be a b followed by a c for the next item I have tried to edit twice and it won't let me fix it.

Edited by lightheart

Guest JiggyPotamus

Haha, the hog bopper. That is hilarious. To be thoroughly honest, the thought has never crossed my mind that sasquatch tools could be lying around. In fact, I've never given tool use that much thought. But now that I'm thinking about it, what tools would a sasquatch actually need? I don't think there is anything to suggest they have a society, or are very advanced socially at all, thus they wouldn't be creating objects for sale or trade, so if they did make something, it would most likely be for some purpose.

So like I asked, what would they need a tool for? Some of the things you mentioned seem plausible to me. Fishing for insects, bopping hogs, lol, or whatever. I guess the conclusion I come to is that there are not many instances where a tool would help them all that much. They have sufficient strength for strength-related tasks, they likely are swift, agile, and cunning enough to chase or trap game, although a big stick could be used for many things, aside from bopping hogs. I'm sorry, I'm still laughing at that.

So I guess I would not be that surprised at a lack of tools. But you bring up an excellent point regarding "found" tools. Their materials would have to be natural. Sticks and logs mostly. Therefore I wouldn't see them carrying these things around with them. When they need something like that, they simply pick a branch up off the ground, and break it if they need to or whatever.

I also do not think that a lack of tool use would mean they are not intelligent. Granted I don't think they're as intelligent as a human, but I believe them to possess more intelligence than any other animal that is native to their habitat. Maybe a good thought experiment would be to picture a human who was surviving in the woods on their own. What would they need to make simply to survive, that a sasquatch would also need?

But let's say that this human was able to catch game and fish without the use of anything more than a stick to hit things with. And let's say this human didn't need a fire because he ate his food raw, which personally I think sasquatch must do. So aside from those things, what else would be needed for survival? Water is to be had by living near water sources, instead of by storing it. Shelter would be needed, but I think with humans that a shelter is sometimes more for comfort than survival.

We would need shelter to keep from getting too cold, but our body is different from a sasquatch. They can probably tolerate temperature extremes better than people, and they never have been accustomed to comfort as much as a human, therefore they likely can live in ways that would seem extremely uncomfortable to us. So they may not need shelter. Their hairy bodies may be the way they are to protect them from cold as well. They wouldn't immediately think to get out of the rain as most humans would do, since they are essentially wild animals.

There are going to be similarities to other animals that live in the same environment that sasquatch do, and I have never seen any other animal build a shelter to protect itself from the elements. But I suppose the argument is over intelligence, and whether that intelligence would automatically drive them to build a shelter, or use tools. I don't necessarily think that is the case.

Going back to the main purpose of this thread, I honestly think that it is quite possible to find sasquatch tools lying around. Some of the things you are finding very well could have been left by a sasquatch. So to sum up what I am thinking, these animals would be likely to only sometimes need to use tools. When they do, they are likely to fashion them on the spot, quickly and easily. Then they are likely to discard them when they are finished, considering that there is nothing special about such tools, them being just sticks or rocks or whatever.

And I pose the question again...Aside from simple tools like this, what other purpose would they have for tools? It is a very interesting question in my opinion, or an interesting topic I mean. I wonder if researchers have paid attention to such things. Many probably have, although I've never really considered looking for possible tools. There is no way to authenticate them, although it is strange to find something that has obviously been manipulated, just lying around in the woods where humans usually don't go.

Guest lightheart

Hello Jiggy

Thanks for your response.

This was intended as a serious post but I have to admit it did make me chuckle when I wrote it.The ideas cited in my initial post represent about four months of consistent observations from several areas in North Florida. 

In many languages if a new word is needed for an invention or discovery  the language will just use words that describe what the item does. The word "skyscraper" in English would be a good example. In Spanish " rascacielos" or sky scratcher is used. Even the word "parasol" means sun-stopper.

I have observed the hog-boppers actually leaned up against trees in areas adjacent to what appear to be hunting blinds and some stick contraption that may work like a fence toward which deer or hogs could be herded if the hunting was being done by a group which I think they do.

The y diggers I am finding in roughed-up patches where grubbing is being done in the dirt around logs where the bark is stripped off or the log is being taken apart gradually in search of bugs etc. These logs are moved over from their original locations and are too heavy to move with a snout. 

I am actually finding the poking sticks stuck in holes which have been dug or in the ends of hollowed-out logs.

Edited by lightheart

This is consistent.  Like chimps, they are entirely capable of fashioning crude tools on the spot, which they probably leave in place, and may occasionally re-use.  There was an older thread on this that discussed their use of fish traps, among other things.

A friend said she found a big ant mound with a long straw sticking in it, & wondered if they were using it to harvest ants, like chimps do.

I think they use things that we leave lying around, too, such as buckets, bottles, hay strings, etc. I've seen things in the woods that don't have a good explanation for being there.

What I will call the hog bopper -      a 4 -4.5 foot piece of wood approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. These seem to be leaned against trees every so often in areas where one might commonly see large hogs or their piglets but not in other areas where hogs don't seem to frequent.

If your hog bopper was what you think it is, it would have to be good, solid wood...not the dried out firewood variety we see lying around.  How was it cut to length? It would also probably have evidence of being used to bash pigs...i.e. blood and with pig hair caught in the bark, etc.  Pieces of wood leaning against other trees is pretty normal in the bush.  

t.

Guest lightheart

I have read reports of them being seen with found objects Sasfooty. I think that during the hot dry summers a bucket would be most welcome.

Parkie I will try to get a few pics of what I am talking about. I am severely challenged technologically. i only have a dumb phone which i snap the picture with then send it to my daughter who sends it to my email. Then huff huff I can't figure out how to load it onto the topic box. I have sent a fews pics just by email it was easier.

I thought of that Terry and looked closely at the wood. These are not pieces of dried or dead wood. They appear to be freshly snapped.

SSR Team

LH, you ever noticed blood or anything on these logs/sticks ?

A friend said she found a big ant mound with a long straw sticking in it, & wondered if they were using it to harvest ants, like chimps do.

I think they use things that we leave lying around, too, such as buckets, bottles, hay strings, etc. I've seen things in the woods that don't have a good explanation for being there.

And don't forget our other friend who actually took a pic of a little one carrying a stick.  Then there are reports from others about 5 gallon buckets that go missing. Tools that get rearranged and sometimes taken from people's porches, outbuildings, etc.  One lady had been accused by her father for taking tools but she swore she had no reason to do that, but they kept disappearing.

I'm very sure that they use tools.

Guest lightheart

I will look carefully from now on for evidence of blood. I will say however, that I will not be touching these because hogs in the Southeast carry a serious disease in their blood.

Thanks for all the comments guys -- good discussion going.

^^

Canada went metric in the late 60's.  You could hear the sasquatch howling for months cause their standard socket sets wouldn't fit!  

t.

• Upvote 2

The only bigfoot "reports" that I have heard regarding "actual" tools in bigfoot company are older 1800s and earlier reports of hairy wild-men carrying clubs and some native American legends about a race of giants who used tools. Until we have some reports of BFs using these tools there is no reason to suppose that what could well be forest litter is a tool made by and for a Bigfoot.