Rudimentary Tool Use?

Guest lightheart

Guest lightheart

There is much to be learned first-hand by getting out in the field. A good idea for someone who would like to have some experiences is to find some reports from your area and go out there alone for four or five hours at a time. Move slowly through the area trying to become aware of what is actually going on around you. Stop and listen deeply for ten minutes or so before moving on. If you see fresh disturbed areas where logs have been stripped of bark or moved over, stop and look about twenty minutes or so to try and determine what has taken place there. Spend some time examining unusual stick formations that may or may not have been created by hands.

I have spent the last four months doing this every weekend in my general area. I have learned a lot. 

It is easy to dismiss something that you may not have been able to find in reports so if you really want to see this firsthand, find an area that has known activity and go spend some quality time.

The Lovelock Cave and Walker Lake Cave giants had both tools and textiles.  They were tall, over seven, and sometimes eight, feet, but wore clothing.  They continued to use atlatls rather than bows, long after bows were being used by the Paiutes.  The atlatl would have continued to be the better weapon for someone with a longer arm (throwing fulcrum), and proportionally greater strength.

You speak as though the Lovelock Cave giants actually existed.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4390

In fact, many parties representing many universities and museums have worked at the site. Not a single one of them reported giants, although quite a lot of human remains were recovered and remain available for study in museum collections. A complete radiometric history has been constructed of Lovelock Cave. We have human remains from all periods, yet none of the literature happens to mention what you'd think would be an earthshaking fact: that they were giants.

Not sure about clubs for hunting but just simply , rocks could be considered tools as they routinely throw small ones at people in a non threatening way usually but also aledged rock clacking communication or is to break open those pesky hickory nuts? If the later are true as they seem then also the great aim and speed capable squatch may also throw a rock to kill or stun game maybe?  Not including the large more threating small boulder chunking as thats still potential a tool but focusing on palm sized or smaller.

Edited by GEARMAN

Guest lightheart

You make a good point, JDL. For their body size, arm length, and strength maybe the four foot club is a great weapon/tool for certain types of kills. I believe like John Mioncynski that they kill deer by twisting their necks.

Gearman  I totally agree that rocks would fit into this category. I believe in my area they are using rocks to crack open oysters. Unlike other states Florida doesn't have as many rocks just lying around (like in my birth state WV). i found a few the other day that had been pried loose from the set sand in the road probably for later use. As you point out you need some decent sized rocks to break open hickory nuts which are abundant where the rocks were pried away. i am finding the nuts cracked open into halves which could be significant. I find myself wondering how they could get them to crack into two perfect halves.

Another thing i am seeing are caber size logs leaned up against trees. These are about 12-18 feet long at one foot or more thick. These are not trees pulled up by the roots. i do not think that these are tools but rather an indicator that a large dominant male claims said area. 

Edited by lightheart

Grew up in the area.  Saw the remains from the Walker Lake cave close to a dozen times.  Classmate of my father's at the UNR School of Mines had one of the skulls from Lovelock Cave that he used as an ashtray.  The guy's father was long-time resident who started out as a prospector and ended up a uranium magnate, actually THE uranium magnate of the time.

The remains from the Lovelock Cave were very well pilfered by the time any serious academics arrived to study them.  You read their reports, they specifically mention this.  They fail to understand, however, that the remaining remains that they had the opportunity to study, were too unremarkable to pilfer.

Wrote a significant amount about this and scanned and posted all of the source materials from the archives at the Nevada Historical Society a couple of years ago.  It's all there in a couple of the older threads if you care to review them.

A skull ashtray? Wow. What could possess anyone to do such a thing? Arrogance? Mind-boggling.

Incorrigible1 I thought the same thing. That should be an unspoken rule of life. If you ever find yourself using a skull that looks even sort of human as an ashtray, you need to step back and seriously take a look at your life choices, lmao. Wow, a skull ashtray.

Does using a big oak tree to brain bash a deer count as rudimentary tool use?

Yes sir, it's brought to you by the good folks who make the origional "hog bopper".

Guest Coonbo

lightheart, you are a very observant person.  I've found Y-diggers and pokers of various types on a number of occasions.  And, as you pointed out, they were found right where they had been used.  Have even found some with tracks very close by.  I've been convinced for decades that they use simple tools like this.  I also agree that they'll pick up and use man-made tools as well, although probably not usually for the use that they were intended.

Though I haven't seen hog boppers around where I've lived, it's probably because there aren't any hogs to bop there.  But I've seen at least one in an area I researched in East Texas where there are hogs. At the time, I knew it was something sorta special but I didn't know exactly what.  It was made of good, stout cedar and was pretty wicked looking, with broken off nubs of branches down its length, and reminded me of something that Vikings or barbarian warriors would have used.  It would really wreak some havoc to hit something with it.  It had rained heavily a couple of times recently and there weren't any blood stains on it that I noticed, but it did have a few hairs on it.  I thought, at the time, that maybe something had been rubbing up against it for a scratching post of sorts.  It immediately struck me as being something that could be used as a weapon, but it didn't occur to me that boogers might have used it to whomp hogs with.

Just because there aren't any (or many) reports of somebody seeing boogers using simple tools doesn't mean that they don't do it.  There aren't any reports of anybody seeing them mating either, but you know they do it.

Guest lightheart

Thanks for the confirmation gentlemen.

When the cold weather set in this year I got off my mountain bike and hiked for hours deep back into some of the areas I believe they live in off and on during the year.  It was then that I began to notice these pokers and diggers and boppers.  ( LOL I do like to have a chuckle or two with my bigfooting in case you haven't noticed). I am very serious about researching ,however.

I believe that most of the activity in this area happens at dusk, early morning at first light and even at night. I have observed differences in the amount of bark stripped off of the pine trees lying around just from one day to the next. Trees have been pushed over about six inches from where they were lying etc  Around these trees is where I am fining the diggers. .So even though I might not see them using the tools it is pretty obvious that they have been there if someone bothers to stop, take their time and look deeply.

Edited by lightheart

Guest lightheart

Mods please remove the above post. I have no idea where that came from. I was trying to correct a spelling in the previous post that has now disappeared. I haven't had enough coffee yet. Oh well I will repost tonight. I have to go to work now.

Edited by lightheart

A skull ashtray? Wow. What could possess anyone to do such a thing? Arrogance? Mind-boggling.

This guy wasn't someone my father considered a friend.  My Dad's about as straight-laced as they come.  The guy who owned the skull was in his early twenties and into the biker and drug culture in the late 60's/early 70's.  He was young and heir to his father's fortune, so he wasn't that concerned with social convention and didn't end up graduating from UNR. 

My Dad didn't attend the party, but the skull was the most notable thing discussed by those who went.  Later on, as my Dad established himself professionally in the local Geological community, he learned from peers of the guy's father that the skull had been around for a while and often displayed to close friends as an artifact from Nevada's early mining history.

Take a stroll through the state natural history museum in Carson City and note how many of the artifacts were donated by old prospecting and mining families.

lightheart, you are a very observant person.  I've found Y-diggers and pokers of various types on a number of occasions.  And, as you pointed out, they were found right where they had been used.  Have even found some with tracks very close by.  I've been convinced for decades that they use simple tools like this.  I also agree that they'll pick up and use man-made tools as well, although probably not usually for the use that they were intended.

Though I haven't seen hog boppers around where I've lived, it's probably because there aren't any hogs to bop there.  But I've seen at least one in an area I researched in East Texas where there are hogs. At the time, I knew it was something sorta special but I didn't know exactly what.  It was made of good, stout cedar and was pretty wicked looking, with broken off nubs of branches down its length, and reminded me of something that Vikings or barbarian warriors would have used.  It would really wreak some havoc to hit something with it.  It had rained heavily a couple of times recently and there weren't any blood stains on it that I noticed, but it did have a few hairs on it.  I thought, at the time, that maybe something had been rubbing up against it for a scratching post of sorts.  It immediately struck me as being something that could be used as a weapon, but it didn't occur to me that boogers might have used it to whomp hogs with.

Just because there aren't any (or many) reports of somebody seeing boogers using simple tools doesn't mean that they don't do it.  There aren't any reports of anybody seeing them mating either, but you know they do it.

Hog bopper makes sense, I can't think of anything else dumb enough and aggressive enough to turn on and attack a bigfoot, given the choice to do so or not.