360 trail camera

norseman

Mounting on a pole / post /stump would make the unit stand out. Looks good for a food plot harvesting approach but not that stealthy. With a huge data package, a 12 volt battery may be required. Release is expected for springtime 2024. We will wait and see.

It would take some clever camouflaging along with a nearly perfect location to avoid not attracting attention to it. Not impossible but well thought out. The camera inside is what spins and I'm curious how visible that spinning camera would be from a distance. Great idea but I think it might have limited use for what we do. 

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

It would take some clever camouflaging along with a nearly perfect location to avoid not attracting attention to it.

How about attracting attention? Place sock(s) that are fake antlers  over the cellular antenna. Some  cell cameras have 2 antennas. Expect more than Rudolph. A plethora of 'point blank' images would be entertaining.

• Upvote 1

How many pictures of “something” do we have just off frame?

This one came to my mind.

Cat is right, human stealth is usually no match for the hairy peeps. Of course, there are cam captures, many probably not public. That's why (in hindsight) I focused on audio as a proven tool requiring less proximity. It works, but they have made it clear that they're aware of it. Ask Bigtex, lol, I think they smashed his one time. I've had approaches to devices including tapping, sniffing, and attempted movement. FWIW

21 hours ago, norseman said:

How many pictures of “something” do we have just off frame?

Excellent point. 'Off frame' can be above, on the sides and below. Sneaky furballs can pass below a camera and remain undetected. Cross fire camera traps of 2 to 3 cameras image opposing cameras. However, the evil emissions of trail cameras are broadcast. Click clacking of the optical filters and if night time, the charging / discharging of the capacitors for the IR flash.  The Revolver trail camera is sort of new. I can't remember the details of the "Eye Gotcha" camera set up in the way of being a 360 degree fish eye lens that could be mounted horizontally or vertically separately from the electronics package. IIRC, the original Eye Gotcha is with Loren Coleman and his museum. What is old, is new again.

The little bear never messed with any cameras. I used to chase that bear when it was little. A Homo Sapien brandishing a 5 D cell Maglite is not to be messed with. 

The bear image is with IR & daylight in black & white. Black & white does not have problems with color temperature and the data records to the memory card fast. The bear was below the PIR sensor bands and was not recorded on the camera that it was looking at. At night, with larger animals in the PIR zones,  the cross fire IR flashes do not trigger the opposing camera.

This filter assembly is 'old school' these days. This is what makes the clicking noise that animals hear when the camera has to set itself for daylight or night time. I tried to quiet this down but the filter assembly would bounce and partially block the side of the image. The cyan hot mirror filter is used in some cameras. If you look at your contemporary equipment, you probably see a red colored filter.

20 hours ago, JKH said:

That's why (in hindsight) I focused on audio as a proven tool requiring less proximity.

Audio works day and night. Sounds travel great distances in cold night time air. The only sound that I have recorded during rainfall is rain. The recorder can be expected to have a switching regulated power supply and may or may not have evil EMF emissions. Your mileage may vary.

wpt006 bear looking at camera_NEW.jpg

Reconyx filter lens assem_IMG_2163.JPG

Edited by Catmandoo
text

I've never subscribed to the notion of using a trailcam in picture mode to provide much that is meaningful. A picture doesn't provide information before or after the particular one in question. Nor does it provide adequate information about movement and, in the case of a sasquatch, we already know to look for a compliant gait which is uniquely attributable to it.

I'm sold on video-only mode if the sole purpose of the trailcam is to capture something sasquatch related by which to write home about. 

In the same way, I believe 3D imaging of a footprint provides far more information than a picture alone.

Edited by wiiawiwb