eDNA success

norseman

and they didn't even have to kill one for science to accept it. weird. 

• Upvote 1

Probably already had one staked out at the Smithsonian from 90 years ago. It may have been in the basement next to the boxes of the giant bones of ancient Humans

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorCalWitness said:

And as I’ve said all along? If it can be accomplished this way? Awesome! But NOT so fast!

They had a type specimen (a dead body) in a museum to compare their eDNA with before they even started……. It’s wasn’t a unknown species to science.

So my honest question is if you are not looking for Bigfoot and you have nothing to compare your eDNA with? Are you going to discover a new species of primate in North America with just a water sample from a North American lake or river? And if you did? Would that be enough to proclaim a new species? Or is science going to insist on a type specimen anyhow?

I don’t know why our relationship has soured NorCal? I’m the same dude I was 10 years ago. I am beating the same drum. Anyone reading this can attest to this. But you are shooting the messenger. I am nobody. I don’t make the rules. I am simply trying to operate within them in order to get this species recognized. I would much rather NOT shoot a Bigfoot…. But I have little faith that DNA alone will see us through.

But as this technology gets better? Maybe one day.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

These species was already recognized(accepted).  This was a confirmation of it's current status, not a new discovery.   Definitely not analogous to proving the existence of Bigfoot.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, hvhart said:

These species was already recognized(accepted).  This was a confirmation of it's current status, not a new discovery.   Definitely not analogous to proving the existence of Bigfoot.

Thank you. For the researchers out there who are not prepared to harvest one like I am? What is the best way to go about it? A biopsy dart? Lots of stool samples? Lots of hair samples? Is there a particular medium that provides slam dunk DNA? Or is there such a thing?

It took 3 years and over 100 E-dna samples to confirm a known species.   In what were suspected, and turned out to be Golden Mole tunnels.

I agree E-DNA is a tool that could  prove useful.  But this also shows the challenges even this technology has.    We can’t just follow a Bigfoot, sample the ground in its wake, and prove it to exist on E-DNA alone.    I still say a type specimen will be required. 

Edited by Twist
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, norseman said:

And as I’ve said all along? If it can be accomplished this way? Awesome! But NOT so fast!

They had a type specimen (a dead body) in a museum to compare their eDNA with before they even started……. It’s wasn’t a unknown species to science.

So my honest question is if you are not looking for Bigfoot and you have nothing to compare your eDNA with? Are you going to discover a new species of primate in North America with just a water sample from a North American lake or river? And if you did? Would that be enough to proclaim a new species? Or is science going to insist on a type specimen anyhow?

I don’t know why our relationship has soured NorCal? I’m the same dude I was 10 years ago. I am beating the same drum. Anyone reading this can attest to this. But you are shooting the messenger. I am nobody. I don’t make the rules. I am simply trying to operate within them in order to get this species recognized. I would much rather NOT shoot a Bigfoot…. But I have little faith that DNA alone will see us through.

But as this technology gets better? Maybe one day.

Norse, our relationship has not soured at all, my good Sir!! I love poking the bear a little bit, but have deep respect for you. My comment was in jest. Not a serious one at all!

18 hours ago, hvhart said:

I agree, but had to take my chance to rile up Norse :)

• Upvote 1