SC EP:1036 A Conversation With A Skeptical Hunter

BFFbot

Chris writes "It has been several years since I have been hunting. My last experience, while hunting with an Uncle, had taken my comfort and confidence away.

I have lived in Oregon my entire life other than being born in Colorado on an army base and some travel. Both sides of my family are from Southern Oregon. 

I was raised in the Portland area, due to parents separation when I was 2,  and lived there until my early twenties. Though I spent many years spending my time in nature, I didn’t get into hunting until I moved down to Southern Oregon to live with my father in the late 90’s , my early twenties. My Father is a disabled veteran after a couple tours in Vietnam. After the Vietnam conflict, he tried hunting with his father but couldn’t stomach it anymore. He wanted me to have the experience so he introduced me to a couple of his local friends. They took me out a couple times and helped me with learning the area and strategies.

Although I had heard many stories growing up and from a couple locals in the area, I was not prepared for what I would experience while in the woods…

That is my basic story of what led up to my experiences in Southern Oregon and a couple more experiences. One later in the Tillamook NF on the Wilson River (2002) and the last experience in Central Oregon between Yamsay Mt. and Summer Lake (2015).

I currently live in Bend and have since 2006. I am looking forward to getting back into the woods, just won’t be doing anymore solo trips."

Listen to the Podcast