Strength And Intelligence Of A Squatch?

Guest HarryAbe

^This. Adult chimps are, what? Seven times stronger than adult humans...

As a child I visited a zoo that had a male chimp that they said had a bad temper at times. In his habitat was a sheet of 3/4" plywood with big holes in it. I was told that the holes were from where he had punched through it. Pretty sure I don't want any part of mixing it up with that.

17x7

• Upvote 1

Guest exnihilo

Buzzard eater, I seem to recall reports from Bluff Creek about BF tossing full 55 gallon drums down the mountainside at some lumberjacks. I also recall a report of BF hurling "huge boulders" around like they were nothing. I don't know if all that qualifies as a feat of strength, but if someone was tossing full 55 drums and huge boulders out of a dark alley, I would stay the hell out of it.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

...do the larger squatches share meals with the smaller ones? has this been discussed?

In the Oregon event where ground squirrels were observed being dug/pulled out of a rock pile (with the rocks carefully stacked).....the adults were seen giving a juvenile one rodent for every three or so the larger two ate as I remember, there was some form of portioning going on.... that one is in Bindernagel's new book and is on bigfootencounters too.

Guest Deucalion

I always thought that primates were stronger than us due to the skeletal muscles having longer fibres. Giving them almost twice the output over a wide range of motion. If the Big man is true and the estimates on arm length are correct then my guess is they are capable of feats of strength far outside the range of humans.

In addition to that, Deucalion, I have heard it said that the morphology of the joints of lots of apes makes them so much stronger than us. As I understand it, our muscles pull on only a very short lever on the side of the joint on their side of the fulcrum (joint), whereas in apes this "overhang" is substantially longer. Let's see if I can explain myself. If you have a see-saw, and cut one side of it off only 12 inches from the fulcrum, then pull down on that short length, you get fast but weak movement of the other end of the board. Extend that 12 inches out to say 24 inches and you will get a much bigger return for your effort. This would probably lead to the appearance of pointy elbows, I guess!

I'm open to correction from experts on this point. I was told this by a worker at an animal orphanage in Africa, so I have no idea of its veracity.

Mike

No doubt some of a chimps superior ability over a human when it comes to strength can be attributed to mechanical advantages and combined with evolved adaptation at the cellular level it would account for some of it, but there are still areas that are not explained by those qualities in ordinary circumstances but we know for a fact that humans can make their muscles at least as powerful as a chimps when they are stimulated by either adrenalin or some other shock that will over-ride the brains governor which limits the power that can be exerted by voluntary muscles, and in return this same quality of the brain allows for the kind of fine smoothly controlled movement that is so characteristic of human muscular exertion. Will a chimp that is excited by its adrenalin also exhibit this surge in strength,and why is it that no matter how much a chimp trains it never gains the fluid mastery of movement that is so critical to so many behaviors expressed in humans, from control of speech to drawing with a stick or using a tool. A large brain that includes an unprecedented percentage of white matter which modulates the brain's control over muscle movement is an aspect of intelligence and strength that should not be overlooked now that we are gaining a greater understanding of just how brains work.

Guest Deucalion

The problem i have with the whole brain thing is this. I have no idea if your correct Dog but the human brain maybe able to over ride the cut off point as you have suggested. But i bet the body would suffer severe muscular damage and would probably only be able to do it once. I vaguely remember reading about a story where someone displayed a ridiculous amount of strength due to an accident and adrenalin. But i think they suffered severe damage after the event.

Mike, your explanation sounds very sound to me. You cannot change the laws of physics, now i must read up on this.

Great discussion

During seizures (epileptic or the like) human bones can be broken due to muscle contractions.

I think the chemicals and biology are there for humans to exhibit much more powerful feats than are normally seen.

I saw a TV show once where a guy ripped his own arms off while doing a dead lift...oh wait, that was Phil Hartman on Saturday Night Live - nevermind.

:-)

Deucalion; it is true that our muscles when used to their full potential can cause damage to muscles, bones and other tissues, and indeed as Cotter mentions, in the throes of a seizure people can and do sometimes do serious damage. How animals avoid this seems to be due to a process of evolutionary adaptation where muscles and their attachments must be functionally serviceble for the effective productive life of the creature or they will not successfully reproduce and thereby limit the occurance of those genetic capabilities,but in humans we obviously have co-evolved muscles that while powerful enough to do damage if the brain's limiting control over them is over-driven or through intense mental efforts at exertion, we use that potential only rarely. Furthermore, the connection of white matter to fine motion control of some of our muscles in particular, such as our speech related systems (tongue, lips, larynx and breathing control apparatus) is pretty well documented in a number of muscular neuro-degenerative diseases and it is in the white matter that abnormalities are seen effecting the ability of muscles to be controlled with deliberation and intention.

A few years ago I came across a research paper from the University of Chicago on this subject in which it was postulated that the human brain's white matter correlated very well with our seemingly unique human ability to control our muscles in such smooth and delicate ways (particularly our hands and speech muscles) as well as our strength in comparison to other primates, and they also brought up the fact that humans do indeed have the potential for the kinds of strength we see in chimps but it is only expressed when the brain's normal control of the muscle potential is over driven by some sort of stimulus/shock (chemical, electrical or other equivalent) and for good reason since our gracile muscular/skeletal systems would not be able to stand the actual potential our evolutionary adaptation for strength have given us.

My point is all this is to support the idea that intelligence and strength are related and in ways that may not have been though of before as science learns more about the function of the brain. cheers

Guest victoriuh

They are certainly a lot more intelligent than than many people I know! I am sure they are incredibly strong. Not only are they big and bulky, they live outdoors and constantly work. This would make them maximize their strength potential.

Guest brucescotland

There are plenty pics of hairless-bald chimps online, with amazing muscle definition and bulk. Most impressive one ive seen is in Lloyd Pyes book "everthing we know is wrong". Im knocking 300lbs have trained for many years, and have squatted and deadlifted to a fairly high standard and theres no way id tangle with one, not a chance. :training: ! Often wondered what would happen if a BF and Grizzley met head-on what way it would go!! :aikido:

The only thing I have to go on to answer that Bruce would be the account of an AK fisherman who saw a huge grizzly bear on the shore run away fast out of fear which he had never seen a huge grizzly do before. A few seconds later he saw a bf appear from the woods nearby watching him so then he knew why the grizzly ran away. I'm guessing the bf didn't throw a rock or stick at it to scare it off since the man didn't see them hit the bear or hear them hit the bear or ground nearby. Maybe it smelled the bf nearby or was zapped by the bf using infrasound who knows. Either way judging by that account if true would indicate that bf would come out on top.

Guest brucescotland

Biggie - i have heard that story manytimes, and think i possibly read about it in Raincoast Sasquatch but dont quote me on that! I know its a question thats knocked about for years and its kind off going off tack a bit from the original question but my money would be on the grizzley im afraid. :dwarf: