Risks And Dangers Of The Trade

Guest tracker

Guest tracker

Well since this thread is about Sasquatching dangers. and since there's alot of sighting in areas where there are other preds. Cooking food etc can bring them in as well as the big guys. If the danger is already present then build the fire up. Watch out for food spillage or how you discard waste. Otherwise how good is your experience with dealing with a black bear in the pitch dark at 3am?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest tracker

Winters here be carefull on the ice. Last weekend I used the shore line to get where i was going faster and to avoid an iced up hill. There was an ice fishing hut and a quad on the lake but near the nw corner there was still open water. I have fallen through the ice before into the black extremely cold water. then had to make it back to safety before I froze to death. You can't begin to realize how painfull and tough a situation that can be to save yourself even if your not alone like old tracker was.

So lets play it smart and stay safe out there! dry.gif

Edited by tracker

Well....!!

After reading all this I'm confused as to why I'm still alive! LOL Hiking in the woods isn't a "disney adventure"? Like a trip to the mall without using a credit card? Are you folks sure??!! Yeah, I'll admit I just don't anticipate trouble most trips out. It's more Forrest Gump goes hiking. I looked into my backpack, here's the list. I carry water, Excedrin, packets of salt and flavored drink mix, TP, compass, buck knife, cigs and multiple lighters, extra socks, triple antibiotic cream, bandaids, stitch closers,liquid skin, small roll of sinew,hemostats, large freshwater clam shell, couple of bandana's, large & small needles, nail polish-garish color for trailmarking. Wow...more than I thought in there. Being goofy I'm more worried about running out of cigs before I am food. (I field strip people!! no lectures!) I would suggest reading survival books as a preventive.

-There was a good one "How to take a S%#T in The Woods". Not only was it hysterical but it covered most problems you might come across.

-Watch Les Stroud as a tutorial, avoid DUH! moments

-The Foxfire series of books covers everything you can imagine

-carry a tiny plant field guide...snacks are everywhere. I favor Euell Gibbons old paperbacks (no accounting for taste)

Number of times I've actually needed anything due to accident? about three

Number of times I "remembered" something from a book to calm others down?? about twenty.

Number of times I've left pack in vehicle? countless!!

:D :D :D

re-read my list, will be adding a magnifying glass and small compact to pack.

Edited by grayjay

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tracker

Well....!!

After reading all this I'm confused as to why I'm still alive! LOL Hiking in the woods isn't a "disney adventure"? Like a trip to the mall without using a credit card? Are you folks sure??!! Yeah, I'll admit I just don't anticipate trouble most trips out. It's more Forrest Gump goes hiking. I looked into my backpack, here's the list. I carry water, Excedrin, packets of salt and flavored drink mix, TP, compass, buck knife, cigs and multiple lighters, extra socks, triple antibiotic cream, bandaids, stitch closers,liquid skin, small roll of sinew,hemostats, large freshwater clam shell, couple of bandana's, large & small needles, nail polish-garish color for trailmarking. Wow...more than I thought in there. Being goofy I'm more worried about running out of cigs before I am food. (I field strip people!! no lectures!) I would suggest reading survival books as a preventive.

-There was a good one "How to take a S%#T in The Woods". Not only was it hysterical but it covered most problems you might come across.

-Watch Les Stroud as a tutorial, avoid DUH! moments

-The Foxfire series of books covers everything you can imagine

-carry a tiny plant field guide...snacks are everywhere. I favor Euell Gibbons old paperbacks (no accounting for taste)

Number of times I've actually needed anything due to accident? about three

Number of times I "remembered" something from a book to calm others down?? about twenty.

Number of times I've left pack in vehicle? countless!!

:D :D :D

re-read my list, will be adding a magnifying glass and small compact to pack.

Your going to need an Rv for all that. Anyways thats the spirit Grayjay.:D

Your going to need an Rv for all that. Anyways thats the spirit Grayjay.:D

Grin! Naw...everything fits into a small knapsack. Books stay at home on the shelf. I'm lazy that ways. ;)

It weighs about 3lbs. ( 1.6 kilos)

Edited by grayjay

• 1 month later...
Guest tracker

Here's a common trick of the trade, Always keep your matches dry by coating them in candle wax or keep them in a zip lock or both. When you remove one hold the zippy inside you jacket to keep the others from getting wet from rain or wet snow.

Just a tip that some may know or forget to do. tracker ;)

• 2 months later...
Guest tracker

Good questions tracker.

If people are messing with my campsite, or there are people problems... it's time to move on, get out, etc. I think people that do that kind of stuff are crazy. To avoid that problem for the most part, never go it alone.

Something starts hunting me, time to change my own behaviors and access what exactly is going on. Shadowing me I do nothing, except try to be on the alert to make more observation.

As far as a 3AM visitor that's not human..it all depends on who it is.

Okay I am quoting an old post of Steve's because in Oregon there was an ad for a shoot to kill Bf hunting party. This brings up again the human factor And dangers of running into other people with guns. It will be bad enough that your crossing over each others territory let alone if there's real Bf action? How competitive or crazy are you prepared to handle? I can imagine once the next PGF type doc comes out it will have an impact. Perhaps it will be the Erickson project? that will stir people up again just like the last time. And Bigfoot hunting for the usual reasons $$, fame, science or trophies will be the tag of choice. dry.gif This will make the woods even more dangerous IMO. So until it dies down again and we hit a low in sightings and media attention. Have a immediate evac plan or a plan B & C and an easy to find rally point in case you get separated. And watch out, listen for and avoid the yahoo's. Normally you can hear and see them coming a mile away.

JMO tracker, dry.gif

Guest vilnoori

I can't remember if I mentioned it but one vital piece I always carry (forget matches, I carry a lighter that I have tested and know works) is a plain old candle stub. It can be the dickens to light a fire in the dark and rain or wind, even if you have built it well, have dry kindling and so forth. The candle holds the flame long enough that you can get the kindling lighted. Also it provides light to find the kindling if it is dark. Of course having backup light (a head lamp is great) is a must as well.

How about bear prevention? People around here carry bear bangers and bear spray, but I carry a bicycle siren all batteried up and ready to go. A blast nice and close will scare off anything, possibly even meth lab/druggies. Not that I've run into them or anything. But I think a siren for them is scarier than even a rifle blast. It is good and loud too, in case I need help. When the juice runs out the whistle is a back-up.

Edited by vilnoori

May I introduce everyone to SPOT?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

Sure, if a Griz is eating you or you find yourself being smacked against a tree head first by a Squatch? It's not going to do a whole lot of good......at least for you. Your next of kin WILL be able to find the remains though.....

But if you fell and broke your leg, or your trapped in a bad snow storm and freezing to death, or your simply lost?

It's a pretty handy tool.

Guest tracker

May I introduce everyone to SPOT?

http://www.findmespo...dex.php?cid=102

Sure, if a Griz is eating you or you find yourself being smacked against a tree head first by a Squatch? It's not going to do a whole lot of good......at least for you. Your next of kin WILL be able to find the remains though.....

But if you fell and broke your leg, or your trapped in a bad snow storm and freezing to death, or your simply lost?

It's a pretty handy tool.

Ok that would come in handy, how much of an upgrade is it from other GPS units? any idea of cost $ ?

Ok that would come in handy, how much of an upgrade is it from other GPS units? any idea of cost $ ?

The basic model isn't GPS........at least not for the user, it's a homing beacon. About 100 bucks for the unit and 100 bucks a year for the service charge.

Another model will "talk" to your smart phone, and then there is a full blown GPS map unit for about 500 bucks (uses DeLorme) and same on the service plan.

Guest tracker

The basic model isn't GPS........at least not for the user, it's a homing beacon. About 100 bucks for the unit and 100 bucks a year for the service charge.

Another model will "talk" to your smart phone, and then there is a full blown GPS map unit for about 500 bucks (uses DeLorme) and same on the service plan.

They could put all that tech in the $100. one! Then they would sell a million of them instead of a few thousand every year IMO.$ 500 bucks for something you could drop or lose in the bush. no thanks. dry.gif

Okay I am quoting an old post of Steve's because in Oregon there was an ad for a shoot to kill Bf hunting party. This brings up again the human factor And dangers of running into other people with guns...[/img]

If you're in the Oregon woods and run into people without guns, something fishy is going on :)

I have a SPOT (1st design). They are nice to have, nice insurance.

Most people are found within three days by search and rescue, most sooner than that. If you are not injured or freeze to death your chances of being found (if you stay in one place and SAR has a general idea of where you were) are very high. You need shelter, water, signalling material; the ten essentials (check any moutaineering/backpacking site for what 10-essentials means). If you're lost, hole up somewhere, but make sure someone can see your sign (bright, off color material hanging from tree branches, fire, etc) and wait. If your ten essentials includes a SPOT, well, you probably don't even need to fix dinner 'cause the calvary is on it's way.

You might be able to put the technology in the $100 one, but can you find a GPS for $100, or a personal locator for $100, or a way to text through a cell phone for $100, or find a cell service for $100 a year, in a "ruggedized" package for $100? They put hundreds of dollars of features in their $500 one, not $100 worth of features.

Edited by Ace

I would say to try and find a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. I still have a copy of my old one from when I was a kid, and it has lots of good tips in there for building lean-to's, starting fires, gathering drinking water, edible plants, etc. When ever I went hiking or camping back in Canada, I always had it in my backpack for a quick reference, if it was needed.

Guest tracker

If you're in the Oregon woods and run into people without guns, something fishy is going on :)

I have a SPOT (1st design). They are nice to have, nice insurance.

You might be able to put the technology in the $100 one, but can you find a GPS for $100, or a personal locator for $100, or a way to text through a cell phone for $100, or find a cell service for $100 a year, in a "ruggedized" package for $100? They put hundreds of dollars of features in their $500 one, not $100 worth of features.

Hey I don't disagree that it's not worth the $500.wink.gif Just saying if they massed produced it then it could more like cell phones. Even kids in grad school carry those now. I do like what the $ 500 model offers, It sure would come in handy with my methods. I just don't like the idea of breaking or losing a $500 dollar gadget. I guess we don;'t have to worry about it being stolen, As soon as they turn it on the police can find your spot. smile.gif

As far as the gun issue it seems to me most bring weapons into field to do RESEARCH these days. dry.gif

Personally I've only ever carried a hunting knife and a good sm flashlight. And I hiked bear & cougar country all the time. But if anyone did take a shot at me or try to run me off with gun intimidation. Then they better have very good bush skills and a will.

JMO tracker, dry.gif

Edited by tracker