Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Here are some random pictures....a quick-shack of some type, beavers at work, the buck stops here, an illegal camp stove, Lulu chowing a Deer hip & spine, and lastly a nice Juvie sized print. 

BF Shelter 3.jpg

Beaver Chew 1.jpg

Deer Kill 44.jpg

Illegal Camp.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to complain about it being cold & rainy......it's been near golfing weather for my northern buddies, so don't wanna make you laugh with excuses for not hiking, I'll chalk it up to pure lazzzzy, lol.

Hear are a few recent print picks, one is a repeat but from a different angle, sorry if any of the others are.......this post has inspired me to get off my lazy rear and indulge my Wolf, 2 weeks of no hikey make her a dull wolf, more like crazy!

Print_141.jpg

Print_142.jpg

Print 143.jpg

Print 144.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yesterdays hike ended up quite an extraordinary experience.......my sweet Lulu the wolf is coming into heat, and I've had issues with Coyotes before when she's in this condition, but this time it was a lone Wolf. He followed us for miles and eventually back to my truck. Obviously it was cool for me to see a wild wolf, he was totally cool, but stayed in the shadows mostly, and near impossible to get a good pic of......zoom in. Beautiful beast, either a Mexican or Red wolf, any experts out there? My female Grey is about 90 lbs., and he diffidently looked bigger.   

Wolf 1.JPG

• Upvote 3

BFF Patron

Little did you know you would be chaperoning Lulu:)

Yup, little did I know SWWASAS, and heading back out today with some game-cams to put in that area.......all my wolf buddies are very excited about this, and want more pictures. 

Hey NatFoot, she is a high-content hybrid, not legal to own a full-blooded wolf, she's right at 97%, and there is a formula they use to determine this.

• Thanks 1

Went out today to set up a few Bushnell-HD Game-cams to try and get more pics of the wolf from the other day, plus he followed us again......hopefully will get some better pictures of him.

I also found a very creepy scene along the way, and it wasn't there yesterday.......looks like the hairyman & son had some bacon last night; 1st pic shows the disturbed area just across the creek, with the best print circled, even though most of it was in the water. My pack walked through there just before and muddied it up a bit, ratty-tat on dem pups!

In Some of the pics you can see where the heel hit underwater, sliding a few inches, and left well defined toe marks in the muddy bank, that was the big one. I included a few juvie prints that were nearby, but think the daddio BF made the kill......if it wasn't a kill, then it was a heck of a wrestling match on that side of the creek:)

Print 147E.jpg

Print 147A.jpg

Print 147B.jpg

Print 147C.jpg

Print 147D.jpg

Print_146_-_Juvie.jpg

Print_148_-_Juvie.jpg

Print 149.jpg

Made an interesting find while hiking yesterday.......if you will recall from previous posts a year ago, I was leaving Peanut Butter jars at my #1 Gift area, and they were taking the jars quite frequently until I hid a mini audio recorder out there, which the Hairyman found. They seemed to get very mad about this, and quit taking my gifts, including PB jars. Fast forward to yesterday and a hike over to my #2 Gift area, which is many miles from the #1 Gift area. I rarely have the time to hike from one to the other, a 2 hour hike for me, and have to park in totally different areas to access each one. Anyway, I'm sitting around enjoying myself at the #2 Gift area, and see Lulu sniffing something behind me and walked over there......it was some animal scat, but noticed one of my PB lids from a year ago sitting on the ground! I just hadn't walked over there, only a few steps, in a long time, so the lid might have been over there quite some time.......of all places to discard the lid, why there, and was it some kind of message?

Pics of the lid as found yesterday, and a few close ups.......they can't seem to figure out unscrewing the lids, and large flat teeth marks on the one side where the damage is. There are also a few 'nibbler' teeth marks from other critters, but these appear to be after the initial chew marks, as they are on top of the flat teeth marks. As always......it looks much better "live":)

Lid Found 2-25-19.jpg

Lid 1.jpg

Lid 2.jpg

Lid 3.jpg

Lid 4.jpg

Lid 5.jpg

Lid 6.jpg

4 hours ago, Bigtex said:

Pics of the lid as found yesterday, and a few close ups.......they can't seem to figure out unscrewing the lids, and large flat teeth marks on the one side where the damage is. There are also a few 'nibbler' teeth marks from other critters, but these appear to be after the initial chew marks, as they are on top of the flat teeth marks. As always......it looks much better "live":)

I think I'm seeing the curvature of the front teeth. Meaning the undamaged side of the lid was back in the mouth. I don't see too much damage on that opposite side, but do you think it could have pried the lid off like a bottle cap opener?

Whats the diameter of the lid? I ask because I did a radius calculation on the teeth mark impressions we found in the bones. It was much larger than a human could make. 

Did you put any peanut butter jars in the #2 area? If not, it is interesting that it could have been transported from the #1 area. 

Hey BTW.....hope you are well:) The lids are 3" across, and have found several lids with this same kind of damage, and yes....it appears that the mouth was used like a bottle opener, and would certainly break my teeth if I tried. I think the Juviefoot is the one doing the lid-chew deal, and pops just rips them in half......a couple of those pics below. Also a pic of #2 Gift area, and is a rock......we've exchanged a few cool rocks at first, the ones in the photo, and the PB jar has been there at least 8 months. What does happen at least once a week is all of the items are knocked off the rock, and with some force judging by how far they get scattered......I always put it back on the rock a certain way with the stick across, which is one of their gift items from way back.

1st PB Jar Found - Ripped in Half.jpg

2nd PB Jar - Grip Marks.jpg

Gift Area 2 - Before 1.jpg

Also.....just want to mention that all of the empty jars & lids that I have found so far are weeks, months, or in this case over a year on the forest floor before I find them, so there are some additional chew marks from probably several different animals, plus a bit of weathering. I just feel lucky to have found so many, and the locations where I find them contain some subtle information as well.

Edited by Bigtex

Thanks. The radius of juvenile tooth impressions we found were about 1.2". Which would fit just like we can see there on the peanut butter lid. The radius of the adult impressions we found wouldn't fit on the top of the lid. So they could either bite the lid off or just rip the jar in half like you found. Very interesting. Just more conformation of what we found previously. Thanks Bigtex! 

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic