Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Guest MikeG

I don't know where your quote is from, and I am no geologist, but it seems you might be right. There are indeed examples of footprints in limestone. They must have formed under quite an extreme set of circumstances.....so I withdraw my earlier comment.

Mike

Not a problem at all Bighunter43, I have always enjoyed your threads & input at the Forums!! Where did your Grandparents live?

As far as the prints in limestone around here, the area was once a sea of some type, as fossilized oyster beds are all over the place. Some type of major volcanic event took place long ago, covered a large area, and has preserved many interesting fossils & prints.

Edited by Bigtex

Had a nice early morning hike yesterday - in the woods when still dark - with Shadoangel. It was quiet, muggy, hot, and we ended up cutting it short not long after sun up. Yuky hike, but we found one interesting thing.

With the plus 95 degree temperatures lately, and the lack of recent rain, the creeks are drying up fast. This has trapped pockets of fish in the deeper pools, which are drying up as well.

Here's one of those pools that just recently lost its water, but still muddy yesterday morning. I went through here last Thursday morning, and there was still water in the pool. Just my shadow as I walked by the other day panicked the school of fingerling fish trapped in there. Yesterday, the water was gone, no sign of the fishies either - not even a scale - but some interesting impressions in the mud. My guess is that the impressions were made when there was still a few inches of water in this section, and the sticky/tacky mud kept their shape, The fish were trapped to the left of the photos in the deeper water.......my Rat Terrier for scale.

It is also interesting to note that when this same pool was drying out a few years back, before the draught, the exact same thing happened - and in this case, fish there one day, gone the next, and the same type of impressions in the mud. I posted the pictures from that day within this thread, but on the old Forum. Anybody interested let me know, and I will find them to re-post. One interesting detail of the old pictures is I noticed the impressions when there was still a few inches of water in the pool, and they are under water impressions.

Shadangel made a comment yesterday that the impressions were two different sizes.......your thoughts Shadoangel?

Also, a dead Fox.......I think, or maybe a small missing pet.

post-193-0-23678100-1339437254_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-61625200-1339437268_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-99565600-1339437289_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-57576900-1339437313_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-40150800-1339437338_thumb.jpg

Ok Bigtex,

my son got home from Boys State with our laptop and I found one of the pictures with the "eyes" I was talking about. I really believe it depends on the "angle" of the camera as to where the reflection shows up. If someone would show me how to post a pic I would like to post it..........or I can email it to you and you can post it for me. Thanks,

Bighunter (bighunter43@yahoo.com)

Guest jmpotratz

I lived on a large ranch three miles north of Flynn, TX in the mid to late 70's. There was a large family of Texas Red Wolves on the ranch that we saw with quite regularity, and a jaguar seen once. There were dead carcases all over the place if you walked deep into the woods, well away from clearings. Places where the visibility was a matter of feet, not yards. If you want to find bigfoot there, that's the kind of woods you need to look in. If bigfoot has even the intellligence of a ten year old child, and there is NO reason to suspect they aren't intelligent, then you have to understand that they are Night creatures and will by natural instinct go those areas least accessible to humans. They would have almost No reason to leave the woods and cross a field or other opening when they could stay concealed in the forests of central and east Texas, or anywhere else. Just a reminder, jaguars do hunt people and deep in the woods is NOT a place you want to be alone if one is within miles of your location. If you do decide to hunt for bigfoot, be sure to take a shotgun with 00 buckshot, and NOT rely on a handgun for protection. Go armed appropriately and be safe. Don't pay attention to your buddy who says his pistol is enough protection. It is NOT. He's an idiot. But you probably already knew That.

Edited by MikeG
.........font size

Thanks for the post jmportraz! I tend to disagree though, and believe that BF's will hang on the outskirts of small towns, and come in at night. You are right, they are smart, and a lot of opportunity awaits them in these small towns like mine. If I was a BF, the nightly trip into town would be fun!

I hear you about the wild game also, but nothing in Texas requires a gun IMO, anything out there to do me harm will have to get by my Rat Terrier (early warning only), my Rhodesian Ridgeback (hates Cats), and my high-content Wolf-Hybrid (huge and very protective). Then if they fail me, gotta a big knife, and the BEST deterrent - a really good Bear Spray, which works on everything. If a Hog charges you, depending on the caliber used, he can keep coming even though shot, but get that Bear Spray anywhere near his nose, and you won't see his ass again.

A couple of cool bugs......highlighted by a Tarantula Hawk wasp with her victim.

post-193-0-38363400-1339683041_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-43186800-1339683057_thumb.jpg

I don't know where your quote is from, and I am no geologist, but it seems you might be right. There are indeed examples of footprints in limestone. They must have formed under quite an extreme set of circumstances.....so I withdraw my earlier comment.

Mike

I'm not one either...but I do have a degree in it. :D The interior of the US (including Texas) was mostly shallow sea during the Cretaceous. That sea grew and shrank during those ~80 million years. Some of the time the areas that are now Texas were coastal areas on that sea. Dinos walking along the shore/tidal flats left footprints in sediment that later got buried and became limestones. There are many fossil tracks that are found in limestones. :hi:

The impressions were definitely in two different sizes. I also thought I saw two other impressions that roughly matched the small set in Tex's picture (although I don't know if you can see them in the photograph).

Howdy folks........having some lower back issues, and haven't seen the woods since ShadoAngel and I hiked over 2 weeks ago.......going through withdrawals for sure! I fractured my back playing high school football, and has given me fits ever since, but it usually gets 'right' after a few days.......not this time though.

The dogs, especially Lucy, are about to eat my legs off! Lucy is very smart, and brings me my hiking shoes every morning in hopes that I can move normally again.

I have a 2-night camping deal going this weekend.......and hoping my back will cooperate!

Finally......went on a hikey yesterday, back wasn't 100%, but good enough for 6 miles.

Went by the drying creek from my last hike with ShawdowAngel, and with better lighting, took a few more pictures. With no rain, it was pretty much 'AS IS' from the way it looked two and a half weeks ago. Again, these prints were made when there was still a few inches of water in this pool, and the prints were formed under water in the tacky mud. There seems to be 3 sizes, small-medium-large, and some are over-lapping.

Here are a few more interesting tracks from yesterday, and a few miles from the location above.

post-193-0-07946600-1340302239_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-81986500-1340302254_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-69042500-1340302270_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-65260000-1340302286_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-95479200-1340302301_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-70485300-1340302324_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-29096200-1340302604_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-26457200-1340302623_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-10258700-1340302648_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-91867200-1340302665_thumb.jpg

Here's an interesting find by ShadowAngel the other week, and went back to get some pictures. I've talked about the area on the othet side of the fence before, and is a highly restricted area due to the water treatment facility. These cross-wires are very hard to move - stood on one with my 225# ass, and couldn't get it to move much, plus I cut myself trying. The one close-up is a hair strand that I left there.

post-193-0-24168500-1340412419_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-32194100-1340412435_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-97120900-1340412459_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-23168400-1340412474_thumb.jpg

Guest wudewasa

Thanks for the size comparison photos!

We had the same issue with trapped fish in drying pools in my area over the last few years, and how quick they disappeared was astounding!

One night at dusk, I stayed in the brush and watched "the show" around a diminishing pool. First came water snakes from cracks (5 all at once) to gorge on the fish. As darkness approached, 3 blue herons patrolled the water, getting their fill. Two raccoons showed up, and an opossum after them. I left soon afterwards, and next moring, coyote tracks were present in the drying mud, as well as a black crowned night heron that flew away at my arrival. Keep in mind that this is an urban park, and few believe me when I tell them that the predator diversity is so great! Several weeks ago, I watched a mink skirt the riparian zone of the now flowing creek. So, it doesn't take a squatch to clean out a fish filled area!

I found this a few years ago and wondered how much umph it took to lift the post out of an otherwise tight fence. Some of the things that make you go hmmmm.

post-9-0-19635100-1340475534_thumb.jpg

Excellent story wudewasa........that is amazing the number of diners for the fish, thanks for posting that!

Hey Indie......hope you are well, did you try to pull up a nearby post to see what it would take to pull one up?

Went camping in the hills Saturday night, backpacking, with minimal gear, and was determined not to use artificial light of any kind........it was amazing the detail & distance I could see when my eyes had plenty of time to adjust. Thought I packed my small pup-tent, but was a mesquito net, so had to sleep on my air mattress and no tent. That's kind of a creepy experience, especially with no camp fire or lighting.

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic